PlayStation 3 firmware gets updated to 1.92

B3D News

Beyond3D News
Regular
An unannounced update for the PlayStation 3 was made available yesterday. This update, which takes the PlayStation 3 firmware from 1.90 to 1.92, is only affecting the backward compatibility with PlayStation 1 and 2 games feature of the console.

Read the full news item

I have a feeling there were more changes. For instance, it seems that the friend's list is now cached, including the icons this time. I don't see it build up anymore. Elsewhere icon handling seems improved too. The web browser seems faster too, but I'm not sure about that one.

Web browser does seem faster and the flash support seems better.

Also the Sixaxis seems much more responsive in Warhawk.

Web browser does seem faster and the flash support seems better.

Yap ! B3D forum loads _much_ faster now. The web browser was pretty fast during launch, then it slowed down considerably over time. Now it's back on track again.

Also the Sixaxis seems much more responsive in Warhawk.

Yes.

XMB friend list seems to load a tad faster, but I'm not sure if this is due to their other deal (with the new CDN), or because of 1.92.

Backward compatibility is improved yet again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I have been testing whether the sixaxis' responce has improved any, and decided to test with Blast Factor, as it was the most clear and isolated example of laggy response I had come across.

Well, the difference is huge. If you have any doubts, just test that game and I think you'll notice immediately. Changes the game for me, even. Will be interesting to hear if people agree.

In Warhawk, I didn't notice difference in responsiveness, but SIXAXIS in WH has been well responsive from the beginnning anyway. Or it could be because I hadn't been able to play the game for couple of days before I tried it with 1.92.

The webbrowser does feel a bit faster though, but the biggest improvement for me is in the DLNA media streaming, it's more stable now. Before it could take several attempts to get an .avi to play, now they start at first try, also it loads the thumbnails of streaming files faster. But I really can't tell if it's because I recently changed my ISP, or some update of Nero PC software that I use for streaming.

Has anyone noticed any issues people have been complaining about?

I haven't been able to install the update yet because my wireless connection keeps breaking out (not the PS3's fault) and I haven't had the time to get in on USB stick, but now I'm thinking about holding off on it since I do use the browser a lot and don't play online that much. Any feedback would be great.

I had trouble connecting to servers before the update - mostly because they were full. ;)

Most people in those comments seem to indicate that their problems went away after they cleared the cache.

I myself thought I was having problems accessing websites from the browser after the update, but then I went to my PC only to discover that all US sites were unreachable for me at that time. Since then I haven't had any problems, though I also haven't played Warhawk since I installed the update. I'll check tonight.

Nope. Sorry. :cool:

What is this I hear about the controllers (FINALLY!) turning themselves off after this update? it always bummed me out that it would just sit there forever and burn power draining the battery for no reason whenever I paused a game or movie and then forgot to resume it again. :p

It got to the point that now I'm not even removing the USB cable anymore.

Peace.

Has anyone noticed any issues people have been complaining about?

I haven't been able to install the update yet because my wireless connection keeps breaking out (not the PS3's fault) and I haven't had the time to get in on USB stick, but now I'm thinking about holding off on it since I do use the browser a lot and don't play online that much. Any feedback would be great.

I have had problems when trying to get online with Warhawk, but the PS Store and everything else works fine. Hope they (both Sony and Incognito) fix it really soon, because I'm very keen on flying and killing in my hawk tonight!

EDIT: It worked on the first try after deleting the internet browser cache, as many have mentioned!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
decided to test with Blast Factor, as it was the most clear and isolated example of laggy response I had come across.

Well, the difference is huge.
I notice absolutely no difference. Blast factor's still very unresponsive, you really have to jerk that controller hard to set off the waves, and I've actually had the game send a wave to the right when I wanted one to go off to the left..

Also it happens I manage to activate the time slowdown because I have to tighten my grip on the controller so much when jerking it that I accidentally press one of the paddles.

No, motion input in htis game still sucks big sweaty donkey balls. Strange, considering how slight and subtle motions rubadub and flow allows for. it realyl ruins the fun in the game, I can't be bothered to play it because of this issue even though I bought it the day it came out. Meh.

Peace.

I heard about the motion control improvement before I actually did the update, and wanted to test it back to back.

The best game I could think of was Formula 1. I remember trying the motion control way back when the game came out. I found that it was actually rather nice for free lapping, but when trying to thread the needle in a full field of opponents, the lag became an issue and a liability.

So I tried the motion control option again and I found it actually wasn't as bad as I rememebred. Lag (and when I say "lag", it brings with it a measure of inaccuracy. Not just the delay itself.) was definitly detectable, but mostly just for subtle adjustments.

I then installed the update and tried again. Immediatly noticeable difference. Improved accross the board. I played for hours - the most I've played since it came out. I usually am too lazy to drag out the Driving Force Pro wheel and play this game properly, as F1 demands some serious accuracy and finesse... and demands it be snappy! With the improved motion controls, the game is totally playable with just the Sixaxis. I wont be going back the steering with the stick anytime soon!

So yes, the control has been improved significantly.

Oh. And the browser is faster. Still slow as hell.... but a bit faster.

I can't connect now to the Warhawk server, and I haven't been able to fix it by shutting off the system or clearing the browser's cache. Not good. :(

Re Blast Factor - you still do need some practice to do it right. But if you make the right movement, then it detects it much quicker.

I can't connect now to the Warhawk server, and I haven't been able to fix it by shutting off the system or clearing the browser's cache. Not good. :(

Uh-oh ! I have not tried Warhawk yet (It's underneath the table). Hopefully Sony patch 1.92 with 2.x fast :D

I was able to connect to Warhawk after going to the network setup menu and walking through the IP configuration menus, then saving the setting at the end.

I was able to connect to Warhawk after going to the network setup menu and walking through the IP configuration menus, then saving the setting at the end.

I did that too the first time Warhawk refused to co-operate but it didn't help. Somewhat curiously my active setting was now Wireless, even though I'm 99.999% sure I've tried it on Wireless once ages ago and then switched back to Wired.

Nevertheless, the issues are there and AFAIK no official acknowledgment from Sony or Incognito. I personally don't buy the "the servers will be synchronized soon" crap, sounds really really really weird to me that something like that would take a week or more.

Connecting just fine now. Seems like a little blip on the server side. I've left my box on as a dedicated server as payback for all the excellent games I've had. And as a break from folding!

Yes, let me stress this part:

Arwin said:
I only now noticed the official login message that said the servers would be down on Friday (yesterday) to fix the stats issue, at 7 PDT, which is 3AM at night, which happens to be the time I was testing the connection yesterday.

Back