Played X360 today.

blakjedi

Veteran
Dont know how I feel about it. I am positive but cautious. I played Kameo and CoD2. The kiosk was very well designed, clean lines, and lit well. The controller is superb. I cannot imagine getting cramped fingers using it, and its very light. Buttons are spaced properly so that even my medium sized hands could reach everything easily and quickly with minimal effort.

The shoulder trigger buttons are just right. There are four shoulder buttons and two of those are actual triggers which I thought was weird at first, but the controller is very ergonomic and I was able to effectively use those buttons without thinking within the first two minutes.

I didnt spend that much time with the 360 honestly. I did notice that menu screen is layed out well (considerable improvement on xbox1's matrix like interface) with color keyed tabs for games, live, and system features.

I have never really seen 720P on a small monitor before but for some reason it didn't look that good. I say that because I watch 3/4 of my televisions in 32" of HD everyday and play my xbox and GC at 106" on the basement digital projector in HD whenever possible.

I am not sure whether the screen didnt do the games justice, or the games didnt do the screen justice, or the samsung was locked at 480P but it didnt look 720p to me and there was no way to either check or change the setting on the monitor.

That said, the games themselves at any resolution were fun to play and looked really good. I will say this based the games that were in the kiosk (which were all marked as pre-release demos BTW). People walked by and were like "Cool!" "I'm buying that" and "That's hot! Can I play?" But for me... the games looked exactly like they do in the videos we've been watching for last several months. Depending on how you feel about the videos... your reaction will either be "Great I love the video of such and such" or "Dang... they didnt improve it any?!?"

Kameo looks exactly like the video and so does CoD2. That said they both PLAYED great. I'm no good at platformers any more so I didnt fare too well at Kameo but the graphics are both rough and smooth at the same.

The x360 can obviously do INSANE textures. When I say INSANE I mean "Crazy Eddie, Silence of the Lambs, Beautiful Mind" insane. Textures in that game were better than any I have ever seen anywhere. Everything is rock solid- no blurred textures, no pixelated messes when up close, no popup, no slowdown- just a seriously colorful gameworld.

What was distracting was that while the Kameo world is deservedly hardboiled, cut-from-rock gritty, some edges did exhibit what I thought was unnecessary aliasing. The rock armadillo character I played with, had edges on him that was for lack of better word distracting. I know he's supposed to be a roughhewn boulder with spikes but there was not a single aliased edge to him!

A more evident episode is the ingame cuts scene with the three orcs that ride into the scene on the back of dragon. The background was properly rack focused drawing the user into the foreground action... buttera... the grit and edges on the orcs and dragon in the foreground while highly textured seem too edgy. I may not be explaining this well but youd have to see it to understand.

CoD2 was enjoyable but had the opposite problem... this game was FUN AS HELL and very immersive but its was visually not as detailed as I thought. It was very PCish. Now that isnt a badthing but I thing I would have preferred a cleaner look to Kameo and an edgier look to CoD2. Color was not the order of teh day when Activision made this level and lighting did not appear to be dynamic. That by no means means that it looked bad or even good - visually the game is aces for current Pc hardware, but certainly not what I would call nextgen... or least that level (which was set in Egypt, I forgot to mention) wasn't. The impression that I got from the demo was that CoD2 was developed for 6800 class maybe 7800 class GPUs and ported to 360. Textures are high quality (again no pixelated messes when up close) but not next gen. Clearly beyond the capabilities of any current console but well within the capabilites of a very very fast PC at the right resolution. Was it the monitor, the game or both ? dunno.

Now how does CoD2 play? Well I HATE FPS' but what I played had me so engrossed I played all fifteen minutes of the demo in the store - twice. If as with most great games the visuals increase in beauty the further you get in, it may turn my impression around about the visuals - gameplay here was spot on though, even if simplified for the purpose of a demo. Of course I will admit that I had watched the 720P video of this level so often, that I breezed through the demo with ease... so unfair advantage noted. ;)

As an aside, a crowd came up behind me while I was playing and was very helpful in pointing out snipers outside of my engrossed vision. Everyone burst out laughing when I threw a frag grenade and all of the nazi "jerries" as they are called in the game scrambled for cover except one bugger, who promptly picked up the grenade and threw it back...! blew my ass up too. Oh well.

All told the x360 seems to be on the edge of being everything they said it would. I think that 2006 will have the x360 come into its own and provide us a real showcase of its power.

As I said, the graphics are FAST FAST FAST and INSANELY textured... that AA thing really needs to get worked out though. I'll probably go back to Best Buy to play them again and verify my really quick impressions and maybe provide a quick update.

It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went back to my neighborhood Best Buy last night and gave my GF some $$$ and said go get some CDs.

Then I scurried over to the X360 kiosk for my second go round. I wanted to zip through the CoD2 demo again and did. They had some small Logitech speakers hooked up to it and it was turned up way too loud.

At one point I had a group of maybe 15-20 watching me play and I was nervous for some reason. They were all going "ooh" and "ahh" over the X360. In glorious fashion I finished the demo and turned around to a suprise: Not one person in the large group watching me was less than 30 years old. Most were like mid 40s and mainly consisted of husbands and wives. It was very strange to say the least.

As far as new impressions it was the same as last time. Looked good, but not superb. I really needed some AA to be considered great. Nit-picking I did notice most of the PC goodies like the heat haze, blur effects, and smoke were all present and very well done. Framerate as before was buttery smooth except for one section where your ally kicks in a door and gets mowed down by that MG-42 in the doorway. The crowd laughed as he got wasted :devilish: and I threw all 4 smoke grenades in the building and the framerate dipped, but just slightly yet enough to notice.

The controls are mapped brilliantly and it feels very responsive. I was deadly precise with the Lee-Enfield and the controller is the best I have ever used. I cannot think of a single thing I would change about it, really.

At one time I was buying PD0 over CoD2 but I think today changed my mind. So immersive.

EDIT They also had some Pelican accessories already out. They had some nice looking faceplates for only $9.99. I almost bought the candy-metallic red one. They also had a nice diamond plate grey color.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
According to some people who have got retail versions of Kameo early, AA is in full effect and not a jaggy to be seen.

aye aa works .

Dunno if its 2 or 4x

jvd said:
aye aa works .

Dunno if its 2 or 4x

cool, whatd you see it running on? Can you describe in more detail the AA quality on the edges?

I'd be interested to know since I had the same experience when i saw kameo, it didnt bother me as much as it seemed to bother blakjedi but i was looking for jaggies and found them.

Kameo was absolutely beautiful the effects and that AA amazed me it's way better than what we have now. The brilliant colors, the effects, and the controls, man was I blown away! Kameo is a must have for launch I repeat a MUST HAVE!

King Kong was a great looking game it really wowed me more than I thought it would. It will probably have a cult launch game status shame it's really a pretty good game. Is it me or did the game have unlimited ammo? I mean I just kept shooting the T-rex and it wouldn't die. The grass is the game was a step up from the current generation but not quite Oblivion.

I played COD2 it was disappointing to say the least the textures up close just looked dated and it looked like it needed some serious filtering. CoD2 needs to be polished before they release the game; King Kong and Kameo just make CoD2 look like crap in comparison, again imo.

The controller is ok I actually like the S-controller better but I can't complain about the controller it fits my hand pretty well so there's not much I have to fear when it releases. The 360 is smaller than what the pictures seemed to show and it actually looks quite ipod chic. The look will really compliment my ipod and my ibook. It looks to be the start of a really great generation. The 360 is looking quite good to me.

I keep hearing about people crowding around these Kiosks but every Kiosk I've been to (3 seperate store Kiosks and a few times each -- one at gamestop, one at bestbuy and one at walmart) and none of them have had more than 2 people at them (and more often than not there is nobody at them). Do I live in some unique place, or are other people seeing this? (and hopefully lucky that, between the 4 stores within two miles of me, one place won't be sold out launch day -- if everyone keeps ignoring the Xbox360s then there should be at least one left for me?)

expletive said:
cool, whatd you see it running on? Can you describe in more detail the AA quality on the edges?

I'd be interested to know since I had the same experience when i saw kameo, it didnt bother me as much as it seemed to bother blakjedi but i was looking for jaggies and found them.

i ran it on the kiosk .I work at gamestop , offical copies of kameo came in last week

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25467

the aa looked great .

If you played the demo you know the spikes at the start ? They look no where near as bad as on the kiosk. As i said i can't really tell if its 2x or 4x but it is an improvement over the demo version

Bobbler said:
I keep hearing about people crowding around these Kiosks but every Kiosk I've been to (3 seperate store Kiosks and a few times each -- one at gamestop, one at bestbuy and one at walmart) and none of them have had more than 2 people at them (and more often than not there is nobody at them). Do I live in some unique place, or are other people seeing this? (and hopefully lucky that, between the 4 stores within two miles of me, one place won't be sold out launch day -- if everyone keeps ignoring the Xbox360s then there should be at least one left for me?)

it depends on when you go .

we sometimes have no one on the kiosk for hours and then suddenly 20 people around it all looking .

jvd said:
i ran it on the kiosk .I work at gamestop , offical copies of kameo came in last week

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25467

the aa looked great .

If you played the demo you know the spikes at the start ? They look no where near as bad as on the kiosk. As i said i can't really tell if its 2x or 4x but it is an improvement over the demo version

Great news. I wonder if we'll get aniso filtering on COD 2 as well on the final...

blakjedi said:
I am not sure whether the screen didnt do the games justice, or the games didnt do the screen justice, or the samsung was locked at 480P but it didnt look 720p to me and there was no way to either check or change the setting on the monitor.
If you have access to the controller, you certainly do - just go into the dashboard and configure the system properties to set the display to 720p. Had to do that at the Future Shop here, twits set it for 480i.

Dave Glue said:
If you have access to the controller, you certainly do - just go into the dashboard and configure the system properties to set the display to 720p. Had to do that at the Future Shop here, twits set it for 480i.

doesn't help if the monitor itself isn't set at 720p

Most walrmats used the s video cable

I played the CoD2 demo on the 360 briefly. Underwhelming as anything.

Too bad I didn't get to try Kameo.

scooby_dooby said:
Set the output to 1080i and that's what your TV will see.

Oh I know but i'm talking about image quality. I'm kinda envious of people with LCD/Plasma screens with 720p native resolutions.

scooby_dooby said:
Hopefully the internal scaler is good, I don't think you(or I) have anything to worry about.

Cool. I've got my 27" CRT HDTV Samsung in my room waiting for the 360. 480p games actually look quite vibrant on it and I haven't played a true 720p game on it yes. Although I've played 720p video through my PC on it. Can't wait to see what PGR3 looks like on it :D

Back