Play PSP games on PS3?

mr

Newcomer
Since the announcement of PSP I was wondering if it would be possible/feasable for Sony to make PS3 not only backwards compatible to PSone and PS2 (which is expected by many), but also PSP compatible.
IMO this would be a huge feature if the "high end" Playstation for it's time could play all the media and games of it's predecessors, handheld platforms included.

I'm sure there are numerous issues with this concept, both from the technical and the marketing/demand side of things so I would be very interested in other peoples views on the subject.

Is it possible to emulate the PSP on a machine like the PS3 (based on speculation of it's architecture)?
Would a 65nm shrunk PSP fit in for 100% compatibility?
How is the (speculated) PS2-on-a-chip going to affect this?
Would people care to play their handheld games at home on the big screen?
Is the media content on UMD (Hollywood movies, popular music files) going to be playable too on PS3?

I know this topic is highly speculative because it is about two unreleased console platforms of which we know relatively little about.
But I find the idea of playing PSP content on PS3 very intriguing so I felt the urge to share my thoughts. :)
(and learn something)

PSP has an AV out to your TV. Keep in mind it has 480x272 progressive res, pretty cool seeing most 32bit games are around 320x240 interlaced.

That is all.

PS3 plays PSP games....nayyyy, you are more likely to play them on you PC. :p

I actually love the idea. :D Less out of personal interest though, but thinking of the marketing behind such a feat. With that, Sony could try to sell the handheld based off its compatibility with PS3 and vice versa..

the tech is to diffrent for psone games and ps2 games to be played on a psp or a psp game to be played on a ps2. But mabye a psp game can be played in the ps3 .

If they implement the A/V out correctly there will be no need ( even though, how can they put a tiny S-Video connector... maybe in the back ) of that as you will be connecting the PSP to the TV...

chaphack said:
PSP has an AV out to your TV. Keep in mind it has 480x272 progressive res, pretty cool seeing most 32bit games are around 320x240 interlaced.

That is all.

PS3 plays PSP games....nayyyy, you are more likely to play them on you PC. :p

AV OUT on psp, is that sort of confirmed ??

jvd said:
the tech is to diffrent for psone games and ps2 games to be played on a psp or a psp game to be played on a ps2. But mabye a psp game can be played in the ps3 .
Yeah I know. I'm talking strictly PSP content on PS3.

Panajev2001a said:
If they implement the A/V out correctly there will be no need ( even though, how can they put a tiny S-Video connector... maybe in the back ) of that as you will be connecting the PSP to the TV...
I was wondering about that. Other than the mentioned AV in/out on the "PSP block diagramm" I could find no reference to a video out (via S-Video or whatever). If you know more about the AV in/out please share. :)

london-boy said:
why would u wanna play a PSP game on PS3, when u can play.... u know.... PS3 games on PS3??? :?
A valid question. I guess this must be answered by everybody who bought GameBoy players (the recent for GCN and the old one for SNES) or anybody who plays older games on his PC via emulation. I know I sound sarcastic, but one point of this thread is to find out who would be interested in such a thing and who would be not, which you just answered for yourself. ;)

london-boy said:
why would u wanna play a PSP game on PS3, when u can play.... u know.... PS3 games on PS3??? :?

why do people play gameboy games on their tv? :?

Besides, PSP is a bit different, because it's not just a gaming device, but the "21st century walkman". :D

mr said:
A valid question. I guess this must be answered by everybody who bought GameBoy players (the recent for GCN and the old one for SNES) or anybody who plays older games on his PC via emulation. I know I sound sarcastic, but one point of this thread is to find out who would be interested in such a thing and who would be not, which you just answered for yourself. ;)

well i always thought the whole gameboy player was useless so there u go...

i mean, games on ps3 will always be better than the psp versions, so why bother? i u have a psp, then u'll play its games on it, if u have a ps3 u'll play ps3 games on it. if the price tag of these games is reasonably lower than ps3 games, then i see a reason.
also, PC emulation is pretty much completely FREE, so that is one of the reasons i was playing FF6 in emulation up until i started FFX at which point i just left it at that and forgot about it...

london-boy said:
well i always thought the whole gameboy player was useless so there u go...

If you say so. It's nice being able to use the TV screen. :)

i mean, games on ps3 will always be better than the psp versions, so why bother? i u have a psp, then u'll play its games on it, if u have a ps3 u'll play ps3 games on it.

If you think console power == game quality, you're rather nicely mistaken. There are a good number of fantastic GBA games, a very good number of brilliant GB/GBC games, and older consoles like PS1, Saturn, SNES, Genesis... also have plenty of brilliant games.

But hell, look at PS2 as an example. People still use that thing to play PS1 games. =)

also, PC emulation is pretty much completely FREE, so that is one of the reasons i was playing FF6 in emulation up until i started FFX at which point i just left it at that and forgot about it...

PC emulation is also pretty much completely illegal. Well, using it for commercial games is, anyway.

I would play psp games on my ps3. I play gameboy games on my cube. Sometimes i rather lay in bed and play a game on my tv then have to hold a handheld and put up with the little screen . Don't see the problem with that . Also buying a psp and some games and then buying a ps3 and a game or two would leave someone most likely broke. So when they are bored of thier ps3 games they can load up a psp game that they might only play on the bus or car rides.

If you say so. It's nice being able to use the TV screen. :)

If you think console power == game quality, you're rather nicely mistaken. There are a good number of fantastic GBA games, a very good number of brilliant GB/GBC games, and older consoles like PS1, Saturn, SNES, Genesis... also have plenty of brilliant games.

But hell, look at PS2 as an example. People still use that thing to play PS1 games. =)

NAH of course console power != games quality, all i'm saying is that... well it just doesnt attract me thats all... :D

PC emulation is also pretty much completely illegal. Well, using it for commercial games is, anyway

i only mentioned it because someone put it on the same level as "playing Gameboy games on the cube"....
it's like, why playing metroid fusion on ur cube when u can play metroid prime? of course u have all those pokemon games u dont get on a gamecube so i guess that can be more comfortable.. i guess... well, it doesnt tickle my fancy... :D

london-boy said:
i only mentioned it because someone put it on the same level as "playing Gameboy games on the cube"....
I brought it up as an example for playing older games of different platforms (handhelds included) which are not available on the platform you play them on emulated, and where technicaly more advanced titles are available.
Why play Super Mario on a modern PC? Because it's a fun game.

Disclaimer: I am aware that emulation of commercial games is pretty much completely illegal, but as an example of people playing outdated games on a powerful modern machine it fits IMO.

london-boy said:
it's like, why playing metroid fusion on ur cube when u can play metroid prime?
IMO those two games are different enough to be considered as standing on their own. Playing Metroid Prime is no substitute for playing Metroid fusion and vice versa.

I'm sure there will be enough new and exclusive games on PSP that I consider them as a gameplay addition to other existing consoles and their respective games.

It would be good--end of story.

And so long as it would be plausable, and wouldn't extend PS3 development much (or compromise their architecture) it would probably be done.

archie4oz said:
The same people who bought PSones even though a PS2 could play their game...

Umm...and who might those people be? Surely not existing PS2 owners or people planning on getting PS2 anyway ;)

Talking about the rule not exception here...

Most of the people who bought the PSOne were buying them to replace thier old PSXs and already own a lot of PSX games with a huge existing library available to them.

I thought sony was all about synergy now . So why wouldn't u be able to play handheld games. To me with out being able to play psp games on a ps3 the psp will fail. Not everyone wants to pay 30 bucks (or more) for a game to only play once in awhile when they go on a trip. Or to have to use a tiny screen while you are right next to your 40 inch tv.

To me with out being able to play psp games on a ps3 the psp will fail.

:rolleyes:

Not everyone wants to pay 30 bucks (or more) for a game to only play once in awhile when they go on a trip.

Funny, because tens of millions of gameboy users do. This is what handhelds are for, games to go.

What next, you want PS3 games on a PSP?

"Why should I have to drag the big TV and ps3 everywhere when I can play on PSP!"

Back