Pixar and Disney

Sonic

Veteran
Seems like Disney will be buying out Pixar shortly.

http://applexnet.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1712

I am a little concerned that Disney will end up just absorbing the talent at Pixar and thus no longer making great movies. On theother hand it could let Pixar remain independent and grow on its own.

Disney's homegrown computer animation has gotten a lot better than it once was. So I can't be too afraid.

The more interesting prospect is Steve Jobs becoming the largest shareolder in Disney. He will no doubt have some minor or even major influence on how things run. Do you guys think this is a good step?

I think itunes had a part (how big?) in this buyout. Im sure soon enough we will hear some deal between apple and disney.

epic

To me this means more Toy Story movies. Because if I recall correctly Disney owns the Toy Story IP but pixar doesn't, they just made it, even though they may have started the whole idea.

I would like to be optimistic. With Steve Jobs voice he could probably get Pixar the respect they deserve.

Didn't Pixar go independent lately? Even heard that at one point they were making more money than Disney (movie-wise, with those HUGE films like Finding Nemo)... So now they're back with Disney?

london-boy said:
Didn't Pixar go independent lately? Even heard that at one point they were making more money than Disney (movie-wise, with those HUGE films like Finding Nemo)... So now they're back with Disney?

Nah - Pixar have a deal with Disney for them to publish a certain number of films. This deal is due to end after the next film "Cars", I believe. It's obviously vitally important for Disney to sign them back up one way or another. The latest reports indicate a buyout which will net Jobs (who owns just over half of the company) about $3.5 billion! :oops:

It's also rumoured Jobs will join the Disney board if this deal goes ahead and may eventually become Chairman.

& will become the biggest single shareholder with about 6% I've heard. Will be interesting to see where Jobs want to take Disney :?:

It's final and Steve Jobs will be appointed as a non-independent member of Disney's Board of Directors.

Not a bad deal for Jobs. He paid around $10 million in 1986 for the Lucasfilm division which became Pixar so I think the $3.7 billion return on investment can be considered satisfactory! :oops:

If anyone can point me towards a deal promising a similar ROI, please feel free! ;)

Sonic said:
The more interesting prospect is Steve Jobs becoming the largest shareolder in Disney. He will no doubt have some minor or even major influence on how things run. Do you guys think this is a good step?

With Eisner gone and Jobs on the board and the highest shareholder, if this doesn't pull Disney out of the doldrums, nothing will.

I still consider it one of the most rapacious corporations on the planet.

Back