Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End (Game)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by pjbliverpool, Jun 1, 2007.

1. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Is anyone else miffed at what a joke the PC version of this game is?

Apparently the gameplay is poor across all versions, although I personally quite enjoyed the 360 demo but at least the 360 version has stunning graphics.

PC users get a barely touched up PS2 version of the game! Thats unforgivable in todays market IMO. Frankly I would rather not have the game on the PC at all than be insulted with PS2 level graphics when there is clearly a FAR better version in existance on the 360.

The 360 version really does look amazing btw, very reminicent of Gears of War, particularly the rain scenes.

2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Just another crappy title to suffer from consolitis. Nothing really new, considering the amount of really bad ported titles.

3. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

The only successful instance of "console-to-pc portage" where the game was actually worthwhile was Riddick.

4. pjbliverpool

Legend

But its not a port, its a simultaneous release. it wouldn't be so bad if we got the PS3/X360 version but to get the PS2/Wii version is just a complete insult!

5. Crusher

Crusher Aptitudinal Constituent
    Regular

As a general rule, I don't buy or play games built explicitly tied to movie productions. If the movie is good enough, eventually there will be a market for a well made game based on it (and one that isn't rushed to be shipped along side the theatrical release).

6. vazel

Regular

The X360 version does look very pretty but the gameplay is very bad. Only way I would've bought it is if Keira Knightley supplied voice work for it but she'll probably never do that with a videogame again due to image/time concerns or she isn't affordable now that she's mega-popular. I still cling to my copy of the original PotC game(rebadged Sea Dogs 2) where she did narration for it but she wasn't as famous back then.

7. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Yeah if they are going to release ports/games for PC based on the PS2/GC/Xbox material and do it with little effort to get a quality product then why bother to release it at all.
    But then most ported games that have low quality gameplay are bad/low quality " we pay you to buy this game" games and there is no loss for us gamers, lol! :lol:

8. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

We can probably thank OpenGL for that, right?

I was doing some checking around, Gamespot's reviewer seems to think that the PC version has the best visuals out of all (no mention of Xbox360 though, so best of all 'previous-generation' consoles I guess). I'd hate to try and play this on a PSP... :razz:

9. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Anyone hop on the beta of the similarly awful MMO they're trying to foist on an unsuspecting public? :oops:

10. vazel

Regular

Unfortunately I did give it a try. It's such a POS. I couldn't bear to play it for more than a few minutes. It's very low budget(although I understand it's meant to be an easy download that can run on children's computers). They better not charge the kiddies any money to purchase that game, it better be a free download and the monthly subscription better not be more than five bucks.

#10 vazel, Jun 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2007
  11. pjbliverpool

Legend

When your competition is the Wii, the PS2 and the PSP, winning the best graphics catagory isn't exactly something to be proud of :wink:

12. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

and i would so LOVE a quality GTA style with RPG overtones pirate game. just haven't ever run across one. i've bought a couple...sid meier's and pirates of the carribean (i have it but don't remember buying it!).

this franchise could have been something special. with some of the tricks from the movies available as gameplay. climbing around on ships and making them work via sim like command structure...etc etc.

13. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I wonder why they can't use xbox360 assets or perhaps they don't share inbetween them?

#13 Neb, Jun 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  14. pjbliverpool

Legend

Yes thats exactly what im thinking. The obvious answer is they wanted to sell more copys so they produced a version that would run on any machine built in the last 5 years but it still would have been nice to have a 360 version that scaled down to older machines rather than a PS2 version at higher res. I do hate the term "lazy devs" but I think in this case it fits. They wanted to sell as many copies for as for minimum effort regardless of the fact that it was screwing the hard core PC gamers.

15. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Sadly youre right but atleast they should make it playable on a 5 year old computers instead of having to use a med/high-end PC for smooth perfomance.