Pirates moan about getting pirated

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by Billy Idol, Apr 29, 2013.

1. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

years ago you can borrow CD but nowadays who still use CD? I cant even borrow my own music on xbox music because my country are unsupported on Windows 8 :/ (i cant find a way to make fake US account that works on W8).

but on the other media, for example games on Origin. Its making borrowing game much easier. friends just "lend" their login ID after they installed the games on their HDD. It makes pooling money to buy games much easier too.

on PS1 or PS2 era, gamers can pool their money on JRPG and when Guy One goes to Disc 2, Guy Second can borrow the Disc 1. Since PS3 era, its hard to do. And even more hard when Sony DECREASE the limit of their PSN game license count (it was allowed for 5 machines).

2. MrFloopy

Regular

People with CD's?

It may suck, and I'd hate that (because I love xbox music on my xbox, pc and phone). You don't have any rights to expect to have a service, or to decide to issue yourself a license to access the content.

Go around to their house and listen to the music there.

Go around to their house and play the game there.

3. Davros

Legend

You guys are aware that the last time microsoft ran a music service they shut it down and everybody lost their purchases

4. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    /me wonders if Ms Morissette could include this in a revised version of her song... no that would be ironic.

5. Gubbi

Veteran

What service was that ?

Cheers

6. Davros

Legend

msn music

7. MrFloopy

Regular

The licensed music continued to be usable on computers authorised for the licensed content, and they also suggested backing up your music to CD.

Either way, you still continued to have access to the content you had licensed.

8. jimbo75

Veteran

Some people like to try before they buy. Also, most people who are pirating many games would not buy them all if piracy was impossible - they might choose one game out of ten to play and just avoid the rest. These numbers aren't being taken into consideration.

On that point, deliberately releasing this "game" into the pirate market amplifies the piracy percentage by a huge amount for that reason - people will pirate games because they can. The same people will pirate Call of Duty or Battlefield or anything else they can get their hands on. Thing is, another 25 million people will buy those games...so what percentage of people pirated CoD or BF? Less than 10% I'd bet.

9. jimbo75

Veteran

Oh btw, the sales for this "gamedevtycoon" probably increased 1000 fold on this story alone (that's probably why you can't view their homepage). I wonder if they'll update their figures later or will be too busy counting their dollars to care?

10. Davros

Legend

I'm sure all those people still running win xp are delighted

11. MrFloopy

Regular

or have a CD burner, but there can't be many of them.

This unfortunately is not going to be a unique case. As we move more and more to a digital distribution and licensing world things like this will continue to occur.

I also suspect as was the case with MSN Music, there will be a solution to solve the issue.

As you are allowed under most licensing arrangements to make physical backups for personal use, I do not see the issue.

12. Gubbi

Veteran

MSN Music works fine on Vista, Win 7+8 if you install MSN Music Assistant.

As to why MS haven't converted all MSN Music users to XBox music/Zune pass users, - or just outright reimbursed customers, and killed the service I don't understand. Possibly different business units?

Cheers

13. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

That can't be said for Sony's Connect music service. Removed including all one's library. Users were advised to burn their content to CD and re-rip in MP3 (like the quality wasn't bad enough in the first place!). Maybe a closed service will allow the same? "We advise you use the Backup tool on your computer to burn your library to BRDs or HVDs." :yep2:

14. Sxotty

Veteran

I am sure someone already said this, but I was happy to see the post admit that DRM is not the answer.

I really dont know the answer, or where we will head, but ugh I am getting tired of all this.