Pirates moan about getting pirated

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by Billy Idol, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

2. joker454

Veteran

That is hilarious...and sad. Of course there's no point in even mentioning it because after all Piracy Is Overblown (tm), It's Not Really A Problem (tm), all the corporations Are Greedy Anyways (tm), It's Not Really Theft (tm), they Wouldn't Have Bought It Anyways (tm), etc...

3. patsu

Legend

Awesome~ ^_^

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Sad and funny at the same time. More sad than funny however as this is what software developers have to deal with on PC on a day to day basis.

The part I found most interesting is that they gave the "cracked" version a separate ID so they can track actual PLAYED versus Downloaded. A metric that pirate proponents like to parade out there that just because someone downloads a game doesn't mean they will play or buy it.

Almost 94% of the people PLAYING the game pirated it. A 7.99 USD game. DRM free. With a DEMO. There's nothing about it that is so "offensive" that someone would feel they need to pirate it. Yet almost 94% of the people playing it pirated it instead of buying it. And hell, the developer thinks the actual pirated number being played is higher than that due to pirates generally blocking the game executable in their firewall as a matter of pirating a game.

If anything is damning of pirates, this certain shows what I experience in real life from people working part time jobs making 5000 USD a year to people with their own business (of all things) making over 200,000 USD a year.

It's because people don't think pirating a game hurts a software company (bullshit). So people that would jump on a guy that robbed a store and hold them until the police show up just pirate a game without even thinking about it.

So sad...

And people wonder why most PC developers moved to focusing on consoles.

This reminds me of the major publisher (was it Activision?) that appeared to release a crack of their own game. I wonder if they did the same thing in order to track actual number of pirated copies being played versus just being downloaded.

[edit] also sad to see. Either their site is being/has been hacked, is suffering from a DDOS attack, or just can't handle the load of visitors going to see that article as the site is frequently offline now.

Regards,
    SB

5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

If devs released a torrent with a virus that trashed the pirate's machine, I suppose they'd be guilty of computing crimes.

What if they hacked the pirate's personal details and took $8 from their PayPal or bank account? Technically it'd be illegal, but as the pirates stole $8 worth of software, they balance out.

6. Scott_Arm

Legend

I'm going to buy this game, just because this story is so awesome. They earned my $8, just by trolling idiot gamers on a massive scale.

7. tuna

Veteran

What if they came around to your house and stole your kittens?

8. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

What really bothers me is that even after getting it right into their face, basically getting told you have pirated this game, now see what happens...even after this, those guys don't even have a clue what it is all about. They do not even think that it is related to them.

Their piracy is normal to them. Standard, they don't know it differently, such that they don't even get the hint...one even asks in the forum 'is there a way to do research for drm...'

In my opinion, there is no chance to convince such people that they are wrong, because of their ignorance.

Hats of to the devs, one of the most creative acts I have witnessed in game development. Scott is right, this deserves 8 bugs :)

9. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

This reminds me of other anti-copy measures that make the game bug out after a while. A lot of support forum posts get called out when tickets are requested with known pirate bugs, or users get hit with warnings and pop-ups.
    The occasional problem arises when the copy-detection gets it wrong, and the PR hit that can incur.

As viscerally satisfying as that may be, are you certain there aren't any downsides to purposefully releasing malicious software, and on top of that, a malware that can be directly traced back to your legitimate business and legitimate product?

And what if there's collateral damage, akin to putting a bomb in you car in case it gets stolen?

Withdrawals from compromised banking systems won't be taken out of a customer's account any more than a bank robbery would take cash out of savings accounts under the max insurable limit of the FDIC.
    It gets taken out of the financial institution's hide, or potentially the FDIC or taxpayer if this hack event goes way out of control.
    (PayPal, I'm not sure.)

A measure that creators add to take what they feel they are entitled to that penalizes somebody else? I've never heard of such a thing.

There's no "technically" wiggle room with systematic bank fraud.

Does the hacking code merely "copy" the bank account?
    Is it "copying" the money, or actually taking it? Sadly for the software developer, money is special in that both stealing and copying are serious crimes. Sadly for the developer, copying even small amounts can reap higher penalties than stealing a larger amount.

There is no balance to the hacking solution. Not to the banks, and not to the federal wire fraud/hacking statutes.
    Try hacking $8 from thousands of banks across the country/world and then use that defense in court.

10. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

Maybe not get the money...but what about searching for identification data (name, address,...) and use this to sue them?

11. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

I think that in a number of scenarios that's still illegal. (edit: I'm trying to think of what can be done to make it clean, legally.)
    Otherwise, a lot of keyloggers and spyware used by scammers and ID theives would be totally fine.

edit edit:
    Actually, on further reflection, the copyright holder's releasing booby-trapped code sounds like a horrible idea.

By purposefully setting up a for-torrent version for downloaders to snap up, they're effectively saying the code they're releasing is legal to distribute. The people that get the code have been given the code legally.
    That puts the dev in the same legal position as any other spyware and malware vendor that hides nefarious code inside of a bait application.

I do hope that the game version in the OP that was sent out doesn't have a bug in its pirate code that causes the buggy code to be bypassed. That would mean they gave away the game for free.

#11 3dilettante, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  12. idsn6

Regular

That's fantastic marketing, but is Game Dev Tycoon a clone of Game Dev Story?

13. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

I think there is a disparity in the platforms supported, and a lack of originality in the absence of straight copying doesn't change much.

I guess it could mean that the downloaders can be mocked for having derivative taste.

14. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Can't get the link in the OP to display, and without reading the story this thread doesn't make 100% sense to me. Can someone please write up a quick summary perhaps? :)

15. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

A game developer that made a game about developing games trolled warez downloaders by uploading a fake cracked version in which simulation falls apart due to in-game piracy.

16. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

Greenheartgames just released their new game 'Game Dev Tycoon'.

They made a special cracked version, which they uploaded themselves on torrent.

They did this because of two things:

- they could monitor how much percentage of games got stolen (at least 94% at the moment)

- they implemented the following functionality: after a while, the gamer gets hit by game piracy...but only if his company develops a game with ratings 9-10. If they make a mediocre quality game, say ratings 5-8, they don't get hit by piracy, but also don't make much money as it does not sell that much. Only by investing more money to make higher quality games, they have the potential to make more money: but by doing this, they get a new message, designed in the standard ingame message format, stating that sadly lots of gamers play the game but having it downloaded illegally no money is earned. This is implemented in such a way that the resources of the gaming company slowly decreases until going bankrupt and the player is basically stuck as medium quality games don't get pirated, but don't make enough money in itself and high quality titles need lots of research resources but don't make money either because of piracy.

It is crazy, because the pirates started moaning asking for help and hints in the forums. One pirate even asks if there is a possibility to research some kind of DRM...

17. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Not just to monitor how many times it was downloaded. How many people played the game. The number that was downloaded was greater than ~94% of the total copies out there (purchased, downloaded + played, downloaded + not played).

As well games developed in the game that got ratings lower than 9 or 10 out of 10 still got pirated, but just not as much. Basically the higher the rating of the game the higher the rate of pirating. Sales also go up but since pirating goes up faster then you end up not being able to recover the higher development cost associated with developing a higher rated game.

Regards,
    SB

18. Davros

Legend

Did they go the whole hog and simulate other problems in game development?
    E3 coming up shall we release a pre rendered video and claim its in game footage.
    Oh noes q&a have just discovered a game braking bug shall we fix or release anyway.
    How much marketing budget to set aside on freebies for reviewers.

19. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Ah, now I get it. Thanks guys! :D Anyway, that's a great concept, although you'd expect one that would fly right over the heads of software pirates.

I pirated lots of games back in the day when I was young and stupid, but I also bought a lot too. That was many years ago now though, can't even remember when I last pirated something. Well, apart from MAME ROMs when I was into that around the early-aughts, although I don't really see the harm in that. Probably 95%+ of old arcade games never see re-release on any format; certainly way less than that back then, before consoles had online stores.

20. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

There are other similar methods that work like a charm and don't need things like SecuROM and strict always online DRM or the like, which companies like EA or Ubisoft seem to have left behind for good:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04...hilarious-anti-piracy-measures-in-video-games