Picked up a PS2, have a few questions

First off, it's not mine(you can wipe that shit eating grin off your face Vince ;) :D ), my oldest reached the ripe old age of seven and landed himself a PS2. Picked up J&D and KH(which he hasn't gotten yet, he got the PS2 and J&D today, KH tomorrow and a RC Car on Monday, no idea in hell why we are doing it this way but it seems to work well- his actual BDay is on Monday). He's sitting ten feet away from me now with the PS2 hooked up to the main AV setup in the house for the day(it will move into his room for a permanent basis after this weekend, he has a 27" there so it isn't too big a step down).

Anyway, we already have two PS1 mem cards and one PS2, and I have a universal AV SVid cable which I transplanted from the XBox to the PS2 for temporary useage.

My questions- Anyone know where I can pick up a spare power cord? The one thing that is a major pain in the ass with my setup in terms of moving consoles in and out is plugging the stinking things in(power cord only, I have a SVid switch box with a universal cable to the XBox and a Nin proprietary one for the N64/Cube/SNES). I'd like to have it set up so I can simply take the core unit and move it in to the living room if we feel like playing a game together.

PS1 v PS2 controller- big difference for most games? My middle son has two PS1 controllers already and we didn't pick him up any multi player games. Haven't even tried one yet, but wondering if the analog buttons make much of a difference in many games(he's not in to racing games btw).

Mem cards- How long before I have to worry about picking up another one? Not planning on any sports franchise type titles, but I don't want to run into a situation where we have to start wiping out files for newer ones(mem cards are Sony first party, default ones best I can figure).

DVD remote- Worth it? Haven't even looked at the instruction booklet yet, don't know how the controller functions but he can sit on his bed and the controller will reach so I assume that it isn't an issue? He is only seven, I think pause and play will pretty much cover it unless the remote has some sort of added bonus/features it unlocks. He handles my Panasonic 'Director' remote which controls eight devices just fine(works with the XBox too, uses an RCA DVD player code if anyone wants to give it a shot).

Titles I should be thinking about? The Box is pretty much out for him as even controller S isn't quite right for the size of his hands and we already have twenty something Cube titles, but the only titles I pay close attention to for the PS2 are those we regularly discuss. He only has about half an hour into to J&D but him and his brother are sitting around laughing and smiling so so far so good on that one(thanks to those that spoke highly of it here). Is Ico a good candidate here? I know how highly some people think of the game here, but he isn't fond of tedious titles(puzzle elements in adventure games are no problem at all, just no Civ style tedium :) ). Anything in the bargain bin(or greatest hits line) doesn't take much convincing(though I don't like buying 'bad' games and would prefer 'great', OK for $20 is fine by me).

Thanks for the help in advance guys(and Tag if you can offer any assistance :) ).

Ico probably will appeal to you more than to your son. It's probably too atmospheric and quiet (read boring) for little kids.

If they like J & D, you might try Ratchet and Clank (very similar game)

Also try Sly Cooper & the Thevius Racoonus. That got good reviews.

Try renting some of the classic PS1 kids games (Spyro), too, since little kids often don't mind PS1 graphics.

Glad to hear you got a PS2 :) err, I mean... you know , we klnow you didn't buy it for yourself :p

As far as memory card go... get another PS2 8 MB memory card... my PS2 memory card lasted me quite a lot and till now I haven't had the need of another one, but you can also use a PS2 to store PSX save files and one more PS2 memory card won't hurt you...

Do not worry about PS2 DVD drivers if you end up getting the remote... new PS2 ship with a version that is the same or newer to the one in the CD they give with the remote... 2.12u ( I heard some ship with 2.13u... )...

ICO would be a good game for you as the other poster said, but hey you have to spoil yourself once in a while don't you ? :)

Rachet&Clank looks good too and your kid should like it as well as Sly Cooper...

Other titles for you: gotta try SH2 ( maybe you have tried it on Xbox I do not know ) and MGS2... good classics....

FFX deserves a try ( you can find it used at EB or Software Etc. )...

Other than that I have to give it some more thought, I hate it too to buy games at full price and be disappointed...

and btw, RISC >>>> CISC inherently ;) :p :p :p ( j/k old argument :LOL: )

Yeah, Ico would probably be a better for you than for him.

As for controllers, as long as he has at least one original PS2 controller, he should be fine. There are many games that utilize pressure sensitive buttons, though.

As for game recommendations, get them Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clank (the game is actually not very simillar to J&D for anything except for the graphics - gameplay is quite different for the most part) Also get them Frequency, that has to be one of the most addictive games I have ever played, and is equally good for kids as well as for older people.

I would recommend Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (it’s been a while since I played it, I can’t quite remember if it’s really suitable for younger players...), and Rez (although it's not everybody’s kind of game... hmm, I don't fell very useful right now :) ).

I don't think you'll need another memory card for a while yet... and you don't need the remote, AFAIK all functions are available on the controller.

First off, it's not mine - you can wipe that shit eating grin off your face Vince
HA! :LOL: Reminds me of a quote:

When an opponent declares, "I will not come over to your side, "I calmly say, "Your child belongs to us already... what are you? You will pass on. Your decendents, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community." - Adolf Hitler, 6 Nov. 1933

Not that I see too much of a parrellel between Sony and Hitler (well, actually!) just thought it was... fitting.

PS. Play some War of the Monsters with your son. The controls are simplistic and it uses enviromental interaction instead of complicated key-combinations that kids hate and the two player game is just incrediably fun - pretty social game in that way. It's not very gory IMHO, perhaps rent it and play it yourself first - which is what I'd recomend for any game quite frankly.

PPS. Also, negative on the ICO for now. Will agree with the others concerning Sly Cooper - would be excellent IMHO as would Ratchet & Clank

Oh, hell yes, how could I forget War of the Monsters. That game just oozes fun in two player mode.

As for memory cards - I have approx 30 PS2 games, and my only mem card is still more than sufficient.

*edit* another excellent game that I managed to forget - 'Klonoa 2'

Dragonball Z: Budokai :)

Also TimeSplitters 2 is a blast, with no blood of any kind (even the one main character that dies in a cinematic just falls over with an 'ugh!') and cartoony character design and animation, and plenty of humour to boot :)

DVD remote IMO is not worth it. The lined controller is 200% more intuitive as a remote. It's only useful if you don't play _any_ games at all and just want DVD. I have the DVD remote with the IR socket - it's gathering dust.

I have a question!

After extended periods on DC and Xbox, how do you find the PS2 graphics. :oops:

PS1 v PS2 controller- big difference for most games?

Nope.

Mem cards- How long before I have to worry about picking up another one?

Quite abit longer than DC or PSX mem cards. But I don't think there are sure way to determine the length it'll last. From experience, its good for 10-20 games or so, depend how you save. But I just delete stuff, normally only get a new one if the mem cards starts corrupting, which PSX ones is known for, but so far the PS2 been pretty good.

DVD remote- Worth it?

Nope. Spend it on new DVDs or games instead.

Is Ico a good candidate here? I know how highly some people think of the game here, but he isn't fond of tedious titles(puzzle elements in adventure games are no problem at all, just no Civ style tedium ).

My guess he'll find Ico boring, but it can be had for cheap. I would go with Sly Cooper or Rachet and Clank.

Back