Pic of MOTOGP 2006

I actually was about to post that it's a rather disappointing shot of Polyphony's PS2 motorbike game until I realized it's an Xbox360 game... :oops:

Phil said:
I actually was about to post that it's a rather disappointing shot of Polyphony's PS2 motorbike game until I realized it's an Xbox360 game... :oops:

you think that shot I posted is disapointing? uuh ok can you be more specific, like what is dissapointing about it? I thought it was pretty good concidering these are the first shots we have seen and the game is quite a ways out.

I'll be getting it. Even if it doesn't have the greatest graphics on the 360, the gameplay of the MotoGP games on the xbox is top notch.

I saw a Socom 3 commercial yesterday and it reminded me just how bad PS2 graphics can be LOL.

Sometimes since I only look at next gen screenshots now, I forget LOL.

c0_re said:
can you be more specific, like what is dissapointing about it? I thought it was pretty good concidering these are the first shots we have seen and the game is quite a ways out.

Artistically. Nothing in particular that I could put my finger on and certainly nothing technical that strikes me as dissapointing, especially compared to a PS2 game. In fact, after looking at the other screens it does have some rather nice stuff like the surroundings, clouds and the track itself, just that it's missing something on the bikes (maybe the colouring, lighting etc?)

To my defence though, the first screenshot looks very awkward when you look at the bike and the driver. I guess the artistic style just doesn't appeal to me or I'm simply expecting more from next generation than some nice shots with heaps of bikes, a nice cloud-texture and good image-quality. :???:

Bill said:
I saw a Socom 3 commercial yesterday and it reminded me just how bad PS2 graphics can be LOL.

Really I saw that and I thought hey that looks pretty bad @ss as far as I'm concerned IMO SOCOM is pretty much one of the few must have PS2 games(now that the MGS and GT series have been dethoned or share the best catagory) even though it's tottaly a CS rip off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil said:
Artistically. Nothing in particular that I could put my finger on and certainly nothing technical that strikes me as dissapointing, especially compared to a PS2 game. In fact, after looking at the other screens it does have some rather nice stuff like the surroundings, clouds and the track itself, just that it's missing something on the bikes (maybe the colouring, lighting etc?)

To my defence though, the first screenshot looks very awkward when you look at the bike and the driver. I guess the artistic style just doesn't appeal to me or I'm simply expecting more from next generation than some nice shots with heaps of bikes, a nice cloud-texture and good image-quality. :???:

Personally i think the rest of the pics are pretty boring blah but the one I posted I thought was pretty cool, I know what your saying though it might be the camera angle that makes things look kinda wierd on that one nice pic.

Bill said:
http://www.socom3.com/socom3/viewtopic.php?t=23545

Well there are some screenshots. Just for the first time I'm definitly getting that "these are previous gen" feeling.

And what's amazing, is one day we will look back at this generation in the same way, and think it looks terrible..

yea I hear ya thae graphics aren't anything top write home about thats for sure, but if on PS3 Sony can REALLY push the graphical edge with SOCOM and get 64 player games with air\land\sea vehicles a reality I'll be on board for sure.

Bill said:

The main features they're driving home with Socom 3 are:

-32 players online
-Vehicules, I know it's nothing new but it's novel to the Socom world.
-Modular weapons, apparently most if not all weapons can be scoped and silenced and such.
-Gigantic maps, the map data is apparently streamed which allows for very big levels. There was a comparative image floating on the web that took the maps of previous Socom Multiplayer levels and placed them onto a Socom 3 map. They apparently were the rough equivalent of 3 or 4 Socom 2 maps. Honestly, I don't know how a level can be any bigger than Fox Hunt.

There was no mention whether the streamed maps would eliminate or reduce load times. Just that they were big.

So as you can see, it may suck at graphics, and it does, but there are other features that make me want to get it, and finally pick up a USB headset... I just love the sniping component of Socom.

Back on topic, those picks of the bikes are cool. Never played MotoGP though. I'm more of a car person, I hate bikers anyways... :rolleyes:

Except this one biker who honked at me and waved. Apparently there's this fellowship among bikers cause he honked and waved at another biker. the real kicker was, I was on a mountain bike riding home from work. I felt so cool. :cool:

And noo.... I'm not eluding to something else. He was the run of the mill hog rider.

Phil said:

I can see two things that appear wrong in regards to the bikes.

The detail level seems very low. They lack the curves I've seen in vehicles in other next-gen racers. You can see visible polygons along the edges. The rider is even worse, with both visible polygon edges and low resolution textures.

The other thing that looks wrong are the shadows, especially around the tires. Right now, it looks like the bikes are floating above the pavement, not resting on it.

Polyphony just has great artists. They're experts at realism. For a Polyphony game this would look pretty bad.

I guess the problem is the lighting. Technically it looks about like current gen PC games.

While the game should be very fun to play (I enjoyed one of the previous Moto GP's on Xbox), I think the biggest problem with the screens shown, is mainly the backgrounds. The trees still look like they're 2D and painted on. What is the point of having all these fancy pants CPUs and GPUs if you are going to use the same (but more detailed) 2D backgrounds that we've come to expect from this generation and the one before that?

With that said, the Riders and the bikes look pretty good.

Andy said:
While the game should be very fun to play (I enjoyed one of the previous Moto GP's on Xbox), I think the biggest problem with the screens shown, is mainly the backgrounds. The trees still look like they're 2D and painted on. What is the point of having all these fancy pants CPUs and GPUs if you are going to use the same (but more detailed) 2D backgrounds that we've come to expect from this generation and the one before that?

With that said, the Riders and the bikes look pretty good.

lol, I was just thinking that if you removed the rider and bike from the first pic, it would look pretty much like a real photograph.

:LOL: Yes the bike does look out of place in the first screen, it looks like it could be a photoshop job almost.

Back