Physics Nobel Prize winners

pat777 said:
http://nobelprize.org/physics/laureates/2004/
David J. Gross, H. David Politzer, and Frank Wilczek win the nobel prize for discovering asymptotic freedom.

... Which is........?

The theory that no matter how many freedoms a culture has, there's still nutjobs claiming they're being oppressed?

(also known as "can't please everybody")

;)

RussSchultz said:
The theory that no matter how many freedomes a culture has, there's still nutjobs claiming they're being oppressed?

;)

Does that have anything to do with Physics?? (<--- question proving you can't please everyone)

london-boy said:
RussSchultz said:
The theory that no matter how many freedomes a culture has, there's still nutjobs claiming they're being oppressed?

;)

Does that have anything to do with Physics?? (<--- question proving you can't please everyone)
damn it, why dont you post more often. I love your sense of humour.

epic

epicstruggle said:
london-boy said:
RussSchultz said:

;)

damn it, why dont you post more often. I love your sense of humour.

epic

Hey, well i've been moving houses and stuff, but i'm back in full force (almost). And i'll have broadband at home eventually, so no one's safe anymore....

Anyway, physics? Me loves the moving.

london-boy said:
Sorry, it was my interpretation of 'asymptotic freedom'.

RussSchultz said:
london-boy said:
Sorry, it was my interpretation of 'asymptotic freedom'.

I'd have interpret it as "infinitesimally close Freedom". Which probably is pretty much what you meant. But freedon in the social sense doesn't have much to do with physics, unless these guys found the Formula for Freedom, which would deserve a Nobel Prize.
Google i evoke thee!

From what I read, Asymptotic freedom is the strong force getting stronger as quarks move away from each other until the quarks are out of range of the strong force.

Btw, kudos to those men, they have richly deserved it for some time now. I know Frank pretty well and he's an amazing creative mind.

Anyway, asymptotic freedom is the key feature of the Strong interaction that makes it manageable mathematically.

Technically it has to do with something called the beta function in field theory, and how the renormalization group flows to negative values.

But somewhat less accurately, if you move quarks arbitrarily far apart, the force that wants to push them back together goes off to infinity.

Basically that says, you will never find a free quark in nature. It also
says, if you throw a particle at a conglomerate of quarks, then to good approximation you dont have to deal with them at all, but rather the composite particle (like say a proton) uniquely. So that simplifies our life tremendously.. Many body problem --> 1 or 2 body.

WTF, you know I don't even see such intelligent people as human, we should breed them with other geniuses and create a master race...oh wait I'm blathering again my apologies.

Back