Physically simulated clothing by CCP using NVIDIA APEX

Discussion in 'GPGPU Technology & Programming' started by Lonbjerg, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Lonbjerg

Newcomer

If any one here games EVE - Online you must have heard of the "walking in stations" expansion CCP have planned for their MMO.
    This video is CCP showing off cloth (and hair it appears) to their expansion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrtwESnTOwY

This is actually quite good loooking...in the realistic way

2. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

looks good but what is running it. a gtx 480 ?

3. Lonbjerg

Newcomer

No clue, by CCP isn't know for coding stuff that brings a PC to it's knees.

4. Tchock

Regular

Hair looks aesthetically passable due to alpha edges and smart assets.

Clothes lack polys for the bottom drapery part. Way too edgy to be believable. Otherwise pretty decent, if you add all the tricks like shaders and moblur.

Still not strand-based simulation, just "poly plane" calculations... I'll go on and say it's doable on a CPU with decent perf. :lol:

5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Not bad, still looks a bit off though. Sometimes the cloth simulation appears to have something approaching real friction and mass, and then other times it goes back to looking entirely weightless and frictionless. Often continuing to move after there is negligible to no force acting upon it.

It'll be interesting to see how much of this is actually used once the ground MMO is released, and it has to be simulated on possibly hundreds of people at a time in the same scene. I'm also going to guess that it still won't interact properly with other players and quite likely not with all scenery.

As the game is targeted at consoles, it'll be interesting again to see just how much of it makes it into the game.

Regards,
    SB

6. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

It looks really good IMO.

7. hughJ

Regular

The best thing about the video is the straight motion-capped character animation.

I think cloth and hair animation fall into the same trappings as fluids. As long as you're simulating high viscosity fluids, or in this case thick canvas or styled/curled hair that has a ton of hair spray in it (or hasn't been washed in a few days) you can get away with something that is pretty decent. Once you start getting into very fine particulates, or very free flowing hair, silk, etc the polycount starts to feel pretty rough.

8. argor

Newcomer

:nope: http://www.planetvampire.com/images/Maya-screenshot-GDC.png smile

9. Lonbjerg

Newcomer

10. argor

Newcomer

11. Lonbjerg

Newcomer

12. Mintmaster

Veteran

This doesn't look nearly as good as the Havok stuff. The cloth is very rigid with a large minimum radius of curvature, and has a very large collision distance.

At Siggraph 2002 I saw a lot of presentations about cloth, and the cloth parameters here are very, very easy for even CPUs to do. The Havok stuff actually tackled some of the more difficult situations.

13. Lonbjerg

Newcomer

Keep in mind that this is something you actually will see in a game, hence why they tweaked it.
    And I have seen much better cloth from PhysX too...even tearable cloth...in games...havok has done what? :razz:

14. argor

Newcomer

WOD = world of darkness
    do you get it now :cool:

15. Lonbjerg

Newcomer

16. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

You don't think that they... might use it in both?!!! :shock::runaway:

17. Lonbjerg

Newcomer

I am quite sure they will...but all the talk I heard from CCP's GDC presentation was about "Incarna"...I suspect that expansion is further along than their WoW vampire clone thingy...

18. Mintmaster

Veteran

Touché. But it's still not at the point that I consider any advantage over CPU clothing.

The tearable cloth from PhysX looks rather cheesy to me, and it hasn't been used on clothing AFAIK. Are there good examples of PhysX clothing other than this game?

19. Lonbjerg

Newcomer

I havn't seen much since the PPU time and that was not clothing but cloth:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KHakdkKQH4
    (GRAW2 - 1:56 - PPU)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjB4EzbIgSw
    (Bet on Soldier - 1:20 - PPU)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GyKCM-Bpuw
    (Batman AA - Batman cape, Scarecrow cloth & banner cloth - GPU)

20. Mintmaster

Veteran

Yeah, that's not impressive to me at all. Not only is the cloth hanging in easy to simulate situations, but the tearing effect is wholly unrealistic. Cloth just doesn't behave that way.

The Batman cape was the same with and without PhysX.

Again, tons of silly effects. The leaves, paper, and other objects moved off the ground with air currents so easily that it looked like the whole world was an air hockey table. Some effects were fun even if unrealistic, like fog on the ground, but overall it just looked really cheesy. On top of that, there's a ton of stuff that can be done on the CPU.

Hopefully we'll get some improvements in cloth simulation soon. I'm sure we'll see some standalone work using DirectCompute, because it's a big topic among the academic community.