Photoshop Touch

For now, it seems like this is Android exclusive. Albeit it's likely only a matter of time before Windows 8 and iOS get it.

However, I think this is really the first time that something on a tablet is actually performance-intensive enough that a faster SoC really, actually matters.

For now, it seems like this is Android exclusive. Albeit it's likely only a matter of time before Windows 8 and iOS get it.
Given the difference in tablet installed base, it seems curious that Adobe would choose to launch for Android before iOS.

I wonder if image editing is one application where 7" tablets will be limited by their screen size compared to bigger tablets?

Given the difference in tablet installed base, it seems curious that Adobe would choose to launch for Android before iOS.

I wonder if image editing is one application where 7" tablets will be limited by their screen size compared to bigger tablets?

I think resolution and touch accuracy are likely more important than screen size. I would guess that the fact that this is released for Android before iOS is due to the bad blood between Adobe and Apple.

This could be the app that launches Android for tablets.

In any case even a trimmed down version of photoshop for some quick tasks is a nice plus for mobile users.

Does anyone know if photoshop touch uses any GPU resources at all, or is it mostly CPU resources for the start?

I have no inside info but I would be very surprised if it wasn't GPU accelerated.

But it is only limited to 1600x1600 files, so it would suggest poor hardware acceleration, considering that all tablet SoC's support 24mpix cameras.

So for me, not fully usable. Would like to connect my camera, copy my images, and open them without the need to downscale it.

But it is only limited to 1600x1600 files, so it would suggest poor hardware acceleration, considering that all tablet SoC's support 24mpix cameras.

So for me, not fully usable. Would like to connect my camera, copy my images, and open them without the need to downscale it.

Most phone SoC's have fixed-function (or programmable DSP's) that handle the camera images; they don't do it through software or through API calls to the GPU. The obvious question would be why not just tap into the DSP for image processing? Well, each SoC's subsystem differs and it may not be a level of access that a user-space application has access to.

As to acceleration on the GPU, that doesn't mean CPU speed won't be a factor. When it comes to, say, HDR manipulation, I don't think most mobile GPU's are able to handle that data type (16-bits per color) whereas a NEON subengine does it easily. Also, mobile GPU's programmable ALU throughput isn't that much higher than their SoC CPU counterparts.

Most phone SoC's have fixed-function (or programmable DSP's) that handle the camera images; they don't do it through software or through API calls to the GPU. The obvious question would be why not just tap into the DSP for image processing? Well, each SoC's subsystem differs and it may not be a level of access that a user-space application has access to.

As to acceleration on the GPU, that doesn't mean CPU speed won't be a factor. When it comes to, say, HDR manipulation, I don't think most mobile GPU's are able to handle that data type (16-bits per color) whereas a NEON subengine does it easily.

Interesting.

Also, mobile GPU's programmable ALU throughput isn't that much higher than their SoC CPU counterparts.

For now probably yes.

Back