Phil Harrison to lead MS Game Studios in Europe

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Dominik D, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Dominik D

Regular

2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

This is a confusing move. Phil got out of Sony because he felt frustrated that they wouldn't listen to his ideas of the grand future. He went to Atari and didn't do anything with his grand vision. He went to Gaikai and hasn't really changed things. So what's he gonna do at MS? Give up and just run a conventional console service again? The opportunities he gave devs were pretty tremendous, but that somewhat goes against MS's typical approach, unless they are wanting Harrison to bring to MS what he brought to Sony regards supporting innovative software. But then why would Phil accept that position?

3. Rangers

Legend

Maybe he just wants a high paying job?

4. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

His ideas could match Microsoft's big Kinect push.

5. Cornsnake

Veteran

Interesting. Should be great for Mircosoft. I'm also curious to know exactly he's going to do at Mircosoft.

6. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

I like it.

7. tcrews

Newcomer

He's not replacing where Peter left according to Major Nelson..

8. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

After spinning off so much internal talent -- and the likely risk Sony will be co-launching the PS4 the same year as the Xbox 3 -- MS needs some talent evaluator who can find smaller, up and coming studios like Rocksteady Studios (Batman Arkham Asylum/City) or even a High Moon Studios (TF: War for Cybertron) that with proper funding/support for their ideas can become affordable ways to snag exclusive titles because with a co-launch it will be much harder for MS to snag defacto exclusives like they did with the 360.

Probably a good move by MS if for no other reason Phil has done a similar job before, has a ton of industry contacts and experience, and I think big picture for MS and their European efforts this signifies a push to grow there over where they previously have been.

9. TheChefO

Banned

From what I understand, Phil was frustrated that his ideas were not adopted and funded properly outside of Europe.

Perhaps MS is offering to listen and fully fund and support his initiatives.

Regardless of the broader impact, if nothing else, this move should really help to improve MS' chances in Europe.

Great move by MS; he should be a big improvement over Peter in identifying and cultivating European dev support.

10. Scott_Arm

Legend

I had no idea that Peter Molyneux had left Lionhead!

11. patsu

Legend

Congrats ! I have always thought Shuhei lacks Harrison's creative sparks. It's a pity Sony hasn't found anyone who rival Phil's vision. Shuhei sounds more like a traffic coordinator and a workhorse/execution type. Can't wait to hear more about Phil's new ideas.

12. babybumb

Regular

I´m predicting very bad things for Xbox Next if you dont like casual stuff

MS has been very conservative what they publish. Basically only commercial hits. If a new hardcore IP does not sell 5M+ it will never get a next game..

13. Acert93

Legend

I think you are setting the bar a little high at 5M+ as titles like ODST, Fable 2, Forza 1-3, the first couple Mass Effects, Crackdown (which saw 2), PGR3 (which saw 4), etc. didn't ascend that high. Yes, MS is weeding out "under performers" and many of us do not like it. But they still seem committed to hardcore software.

You should move your prediction to your signature; when you are right we can all congratulate you. I would do that but I make far too many predictions like my screen-on-a-controller and break-out controllers.

14. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

Sony should hire J Allard in retaliation.

15. Acert93

Legend

If that happened MS would have no other option other then to fire Balmer and hire The KEN.

16. TheChefO

Banned

:lol:

I think Ken would rather die first, but it would be a great pickup by MS!

17. Dominik D

Regular

It's not that easy to make zombie dance and sing.

Wanna hug? :)

My sense is that he's burned out. Whether it's because of Sinofsky's bulldozer or by the amount of stuff that was on his shoulders, I'd be surprised to see him reappear with Sony.

That said I didn't expect Phil@MS either. ;)

18. Prophecy2k

Veteran

If Kuturagi joined MS, with his crazy schemes and MS' deep pockets, he would develop a console to end all others. One which is powered by strange fire and when turned on, would split the space-time continuum and translate the mind and consciousness of it's hosts into the para-meta-physical world of celestial god-hood....

... then would the universe retreat unto the singularity preceding the big bang, and the gods would sing the song to end all existance

*cowers in the corner shivering in terror*
    :nope::no::nope::no::nope::no:

19. Scott_Arm

Legend

Nope. Don't care. Just surprised at the news. Maybe Lionhead will get back to making a non-Kinect Fable game. Pretty sure they have a lot of talent over there without Peter to keep making good games.

20. RobertR1

Legend

Don't YOU want to be the controller, Scott?