Phenom or Barcelona?

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
I am getting quite sick of waiting, which would deliver better performance, what cost would I be looking at for the fastest Barcelona with 4GB memory and a new mobo supporting PCIE 2.0?

Barcelona is a expensive server/worstation-processor with expensive sever/ws-boards(no ocing and other limitations) and RDDR and atm with a maximum clock 2GHz. :???:

You should better wait for Phenom in December, which can use HT3.0 and DDR2-1066 and should have better/faster stepping and higher clocks.

Agreed with AnarchX. Barcelona is not what you've been waiting for, Phenom is. And by the time Phenom is available, you'll have Penryn as an option too.

I'd still wager a free cup of coffee that Penryn > Phenom in performance and power consumption, but I still wonder about price... Only time will tell!

if you don't mind a socket F mobo, DDR2 ECC registered and a 1.9GHz processor go for it ;)
the biggest advantage would be upgradability to eight cores (add another CPU).. though I don't know what you'd do with such a system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back