Phantom CPU Usage on W10

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Task manager and process explorer says 40% cpu usage. But when i manually add each process' cpu usage, it only adds to 20%.

Always can be fixed by a clean reboot.

Googling around, there are a bunch of posts and alleged fixes, but none of them actually investigate it. THey simply tells me to do X, Y, Z (like disabling startup, services).

But i want to find out what is eating my CPU, and pull it out.

I added up everything from chrome.exe 6.20% to YUR.Fit.Windows.Service.exe 0.41% and got 54.09%
edit : added everything up on screen and got 59.29%

Last edited:
I added up everything from chrome.exe 6.20% to YUR.Fit.Windows.Service.exe 0.41% and got 54.09%
edit : added everything up on screen and got 59.29%
Yeah it doesn't adds up to the total cpu usage of 80%.

It's obvious. You're infected with a rootkit level virus/malware.

That make sense. So it can hide itself.

Ugh, I would need to to a clean reinstall... Ah! I got tons of gamepass games installed, I guess they will also need to be reinstalled...

Oh! What if I boot to Ubuntu live usb and do a complete scan from that. Will try tomorrow

That or so show its using base clock rates for CPU in the computation and the processes are running cpu at higher clock rate?

According to the graph 80% was a maximum it wasnt at that when you took the screen shot
and who looks for hidden cpu usage while running 2 browsers and a vr game ?
I can't even play beat saber. It runs in 30 fps or something due to the phantom cpu usage.

A reboot will remove the phantom cpu usage and my pc performance will be good again.

That or so show its using base clock rates for CPU in the computation and the processes are running cpu at higher clock rate?

Dunno how process lasso work. I usually use process explorer and task manager. They showed phantom cpu usage too. Will be gone if I reboot. Performance will back to normal

Having a crapload of stuff running in the background doesn't seem like a good way to figure out the problem. Have you tried safe mode or a different disk with a w10 install to verify the problem does or does not exist in a different environment?

Finished scanning from DVD boot, found nothing other than false positive (of my own app).

Having a crapload of stuff running in the background doesn't seem like a good way to figure out the problem. Have you tried safe mode or a different disk with a w10 install to verify the problem does or does not exist in a different environment?

It only happen hours after it turns on. Currently I can't let it on safe mode for hours as I also use the pc for numerous things (web server, cctv monitoring, plex server, many more).

After I finished moving web server and cctv monitoring to a tablet, and figured out a cooling solution (the internal fan is too loud), I'll try it on safe mode.

As for different windows install, I suspect a clean install will fix the issue. Like any other windows issues.

Are you the only user logged in?

There's only 1 user. My user account is admin account (yes bad practice).

Although there are the usual default windows users (default, guest) that I don't think can be removed

Btw I just updated Nvidia GPU driver, it's been 4 ish hours since then and the cpu hasn't been haunted yet. If its still fixed for tomororrow, the phantom probably Nvidia driver.

Are you sure playing beat saber on that machine is a good idea at all?

why its a bad idea?

btw i;ve moved CCTV monitoring and web server to my tablet. I hadn't tested my tablet's performance for transcoding so i haven't moved the plex server.

I allways try to have completely separate devices for server, work and entertainment. It's just safer and cleaner that way.

@orangpelupa is a bit of a masochist ;) it's no fun if it just works

If using additional hardware is not an opinion, at least run everything in VMs or containers.

On a modern system using a hypervisor and passing through your desktop might even be a viable option. Though GPU passthrough being what it is... you might be better off running VMs inside Windows if you need the best GPU performance you can get.

Back