Phantom Blade Zero [PS5, PC]

Looks really good but I guess most of the choregraphed scenes are mostly cutscenes or QTE sequences.
Like I' ve said previously it remonds me of Project : the perceiver. Another game which had a great demo show was " where the winds meet but the gameplay showcase was nowhere near what the true game is about.
But with Phantom Blade, wukong and lost soul aside I hope they will see the day and not become vaporware.

Looks really good but I guess most of the choregraphed scenes are mostly cutscenes or QTE sequences.
Like I' ve said previously it remonds me of Project : the perceiver. Another game which had a great demo show was " where the winds meet but the gameplay showcase was nowhere near what the true game is about.
But with Phantom Blade, wukong and lost soul aside I hope they will see the day and not become vaporware.

I think the game is not very technical from a gameplay point of view and animation is fully keyframed.

From the blog post

We are huge fans of the hack and slash genre. Stellar titles like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden are insanely exhilarating with their huge arsenal of moves and lightning-fast pace. However, they are not for everyone. What’s more popular today is “strategic action game”, such as Soulslikes and Monster Hunter. They choose to slow things down a notch or two, giving players more time for strategic thinking. But that approach doesn’t convey the kind of action fest we have in mind, namely, the sleek, breathtaking moves in Kungfu movies back in the 1990s.

Lucky for us, during the decade making mobile games, we learned to simplify things in favor of touchscreens, giving players a way to execute elaborate chains of moves with a minimum amount of button-mashing. As it turns out, with some tweaks, this mechanism works just as well on controllers.

And we’re honored to have Mr. Kenji Tanigaki as our action director. Kenji-san is responsible for many mesmerizing fighting scenes in classic Kungfu movies. In fact, many of our ideas are inspired by his early works. In Phantom Blade Zero, his role is to demonstrate each designed move, which is then captured with a camera matrix, for the reference of our animation artists. You’re reading it right. Combat moves in Phantom Blade Zero have to be made with handcrafted animation, because motion capturing can’t do it justice.

Last edited:

“Combo Chain” is a system we have been developed for 10 years, in mobile games for most of the time, but we found it work on all kinds of controllers just fine. Players will edit their skill orders in 2 chains, and simply press the 2 bottoms to release super complex and fast combos. This makes everyone’s gameplay look like a professional twitcher of DMC or Ninja Gaiden. But there are still depth in how to organize the skill order, and other timing related skills(parry, dodge, etc).

This is why the animation are like this.

Early concept of the game has been written & designed since 2017, but limited to 2~3 core members. The actual development starts in early 2022.

In production since 18 months.

Good news it will release on Steam and Epic store at the same time. No Epic store exclusivity.
52923933793_7b7c315f38_k.jpg

52923933893_367c878308_k.jpg

52923870135_134c893bcf_k.jpg

52922901737_38c9be72c9_k.jpg

Last edited:
Thats sad. Another vaborware in the making potentially. I had so much hope for Wukong too. But where is it?

Back