PGR 2

maskrider

Henshin !
Veteran
Got PGR 2 today, tried the HK track. Pretty obvious AA is on.

pgr2-00.jpg

pgr2-01.jpg

pgr2-02.jpg

pgr2-03.jpg

pgr2-04.jpg

pgr2-05.jpg

pgr2-06.jpg

pgr2-07.jpg

THe only proper way to take a screen shot on the xbox is with the debug tools. Otherwise you aren't getting a frame buffer grab.

Anyway, so what's your impressions on teh game? and how did you get it today? I heard it wasn't out until the 18th??

Qroach said:
THe only proper way to take a screen shot on the xbox is with the debug tools. Otherwise you aren't getting a frame buffer grab.

Anyway, so what's your impressions on teh game? and how did you get it today? I heard it wasn't out until the 18th??

Most games will be early here in Hong Kong. Played not really enough to say anything, but the handling is like the first PGR. There seems to be a lot more cars.

And buffer grab != actual output. Capturing from the output will reflect the actual display on the screen.

I have taken out the other X-BOX racers and tried with the S-Video output (X-BOX Advanced A/V Pack), I am not using a cheap S-Video cable, I am already using a Straight wire Silver bi-coaxial S-Video cable.

Here are some other racers for comparison, it is really the problem of the interlace output of X-BOX, progressive doesn't look like that. I can understand why people complain about the output of X-BOX when they use the interlace TVs.

Apex
apex-02.jpg

apex-03.jpg

GT2002
gt2002-01.jpg

gt2002-02.jpg

PGR
pgr-01.jpg

pgr-02.jpg

There seems to be a lot more cars.

There's around 100 cars.

And buffer grab != actual output. Capturing from the output will reflect the actual display on the screen.

Well that depends on the hardware you using the capture with.

[qoute]I have taken out the other X-BOX racers and tried with the S-Video output (X-BOX Advanced A/V Pack), I am not using a cheap S-Video cable, I am already using a Straight wire Silver bi-coaxial S-Video cable.[/quote]

Th S-video is good, but it's still not the best output you can get. You'd get abetter picture capturing from the HDTV kit using 480p

Yes, that's the problem. You're using an S-Video output which can only carry an interlaced signal. Progressive output is much cleaner. Those games look quite nice on my HDTV.

Can't wait to try out PGR2 though.

Qroach said:
Th S-video is good, but it's still not the best output you can get. You'd get abetter picture capturing from the HDTV kit using 480p

Sure the HDTV output will be better and I play the X-BOX games with my HDTV pack w/transcoder to my monitor.

But the problem is that there is no electronic capturing device that can capture analog HDTV YUV output on a PC.

DeathKnight said:
Yes, that's the problem. You're using an S-Video output which can only carry an interlaced signal. Progressive output is much cleaner. Those games look quite nice on my HDTV.

Can't wait to try out PGR2 though.

Yes, sure I know HDTV output is much better as I play the game using that, but capturing is another issue as there is no HDTV capturing devices on PC. All current devices only accepts interlaced signal.

And BTW, that proves that the S-Video output (and hence composite) of X-BOX is shit. But many people still have to stick with interlaced TV.

there are HDTV capture cards for computers.

just hope you have enough cash flow: start around $2,000 US Dollars.

Ozymandis said:
Does it support widescreen? I guess they dropped the planned 720p mode too, huh?

No 720p mode. And wide screen mode will be like Soul Calibur 2 720p mode, it will have 2 big left and right black bars.

jandar said:
there are HDTV capture cards for computers.

just hope you have enough cash flow: start around $2,000 US Dollars.

You mean HDTV analog capture cards ? Or HDTV cards that accepts HD-SDI inputs ? I am more familiar with standalone HDTV devices than HDTV PC peripherials.

But anyway, they are expensive pro-stuffs that I'd rather buy a projector than them.

maskrider said:
And wide screen mode will be like Soul Calibur 2 720p mode, it will have 2 big left and right black bars.
So basically you're saying it doesn't support 480p widescreen? I heard otherwise... hmm

DeathKnight said:
maskrider said:
And wide screen mode will be like Soul Calibur 2 720p mode, it will have 2 big left and right black bars.
So basically you're saying it doesn't support 480p widescreen? I heard otherwise... hmm

I have my X-BOX set to widescreen and forgot to reset it before playing the game, the game only use the center region to display at 480i, it left 2 black bars on the left and right.

I will try it with 480p and widescreen now to see if there is any difference. But I do not have any expectation as even at 480i it doesn't, 480p will be the same.

edit: I was wrong, 480p/480i support widescreen mode during game play. It is the menu that shows the 2 left and right black bars. Sorry Ozy. I have only stayed at the menu when I was in 480i wide screen mode as there are 2 black bars.

You're using a vga transcoder? Are there any vga capture devices for PC?(I mean, usually there is no need since PCs can get framebuffer shots, but I'd think that, or something that could be used for that purpose would have been invented by now)

Fox5 said:
You're using a vga transcoder? Are there any vga capture devices for PC?(I mean, usually there is no need since PCs can get framebuffer shots, but I'd think that, or something that could be used for that purpose would have been invented by now)

I don't know of any (cheaper ones), I don't want to pay so much just to take a screenshot and post it to the Internet. :D

My prototype video scaler could for sure, but the 24bit digital RGB output was cut on the PCB during the pre-beta PCB layout. The current board is only good for standalone devices, it cannot be interfaced to PC at the current stage.

Back