Performance improvements from 4870x2 to 5870 CF

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by fbomber, Dec 15, 2009.

1. fbomber

Newcomer

I´m not waiting on fermi anymore. I bought 2 Radeon 5870 1GB video cards and they´re arriving tomorrow or the day after.

So, what kind of improvements should I see? Use of ssaa in games is something i´m looking forward to. What else? Bump the MSAA samples?

My Pc Power and Cooling Turbocool 860W is enough for the cards? I have only a q9550, rampage formula, 8GB DDR2, 1TB HD and DVD/RW.

Thanks in advance.

2. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Oh that's it? :lol:

Is it possible to use SSAA and MSAA concurrently on HD5k hardware?

3. OpenGL guy

Veteran

Yes. You enable MSAA either via the app or the control panel and then enable super sampling in the control panel. I believe it's under AAA settings. Normal AAA anti-aliases some "texture" edges, but full super sampling anti-aliases the whole screen.

4. Thowllly

Regular

From his question it didn't sound like he wanted full super sampling but something like nvidias mixed modes.

5. OpenGL guy

Veteran

There are no mixed modes, but we are using RGSS for the highest quality. I don't believe the mixed modes use RGSS.

6. Silent_Buddha

Legend

With RGSS, I'm not sure what mixed mode would even bring to the table? It should still look better than MSAA, OGSSAA, and Mixed Mode with equivalent samples.

Regards,
    SB

7. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

2x or 4x MSAA mixed with 2x supersampling would look better than 2x supersampling alone. (if it's all rotated grid).

fair enough, 4x RGSS is great already in all aspects and you can live with that, though control freaks might enjoy adding 2x MSAA (if I make the hypothesis that max number of sample is 8x)

Sure, nvidia mixed modes are necessary because of the OGSS, else the else good looking options are super expensive 9x and 16x supersampling. For a reason I can't fathom pure nvidia supersampling modes are available under D3D only while mixed modes are supported under OpenGL.