Perfect Dark Zero hands on

Tap In

Legend
faith restored. ;) :D

http://www.talkxbox.com/preview745.html

snip...

I’ve been following Perfect Dark Zero from the beginning, through the system changes, disastrous MTV Unveiling, screenshots from hell, uninspiring X05 cam footage, and everything in-between. To be honest, I was expecting mediocrity taken to all-new highs. Fortunately, I was dead wrong. This game has quite a bit of bad buzz surrounding it. As it turns out, that buzz is just plain incorrect.

First things first. Perfect Dark Zero’s graphics will be among the best on the market come November 22nd. Characters are all painstakingly modeled with top-notch animations, creating a very fluid experience. Frame rate remained steady regardless of the action on screen. Explosions are the best I have ever seen and the lighting beats out most everything else out there. Most all lights can be shot out, or at least caused to flicker in and out, F.E.A.R. style. Everything casts its own shadow. Imagine Doom 3's lighting minus the ridiculous amount of darkness. The night maps especially have some gorgeous lighting, with billboards and neon signs lighting up their adjacent walls. Also, muzzle flashes look great against the wall, and on the ground. Water effects look as next-gen as they come, with waterfalls that you truly have to see to believe. Particle effects abound, as do the enemies, which are far more plentiful than in current-generation games. There is also quite a bit of blood. Each time you shoot someone a little spurt of blood comes out, especially when you get a headshot; the blood then accurately sticks to the walls. And stays there, even if you come back 5 minutes later. It's things like that that really set apart Xbox 360 games.

Speaking of enemies, the AI of Perfect Dark Zero is leaps and bounds ahead of what has been showcased of the title so far. Opponents in PDZ take cover, rush, fall back, and snipe at you according to what the situation necessitates. If you run into a room without thinking ahead you will be killed and earn yourself a quick trip back to the last checkpoint, your teammate’s revive kit, or the restart menu. .... snipped

damn... i was really rather hoping that this would be rubbish.

looks like that might be another 40 quid then :(

This is awesome news. . . although, I still can't believe they showed off such an awful looking game at the 360 unveiling in May.

Anyway, I might have to pick this game up now, along with Kameo and PGR3 of course :)

I'm not convinced that it'll be as good as the preview states, but I do think it'll be good enough to buy. I kinda just want all the videos/screens/previews to stop so I can play it and decide for myself.

Inane_Dork said:
I'm not convinced that it'll be as good as the preview states, but I do think it'll be good enough to buy. I kinda just want all the videos/screens/previews to stop so I can play it and decide for myself.

agreed, but it's refreshing to see someone play a more recent build and walk away happy.

He doesn't sound all too inspired by the multiplayer though (except for online co-op) but he didn't really try it much.

That (multiplayer online) is the part of the game in which I personally have the most interest.

Back