Penumbra: Explore New Uses of Physics in Games [Free Demo Inside This Thread!]

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Farid, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

http://penumbragame.com/

The demo (200MB):
    http://www.download.com/Penumbra/3000-7504_4-10536436.html?tag=lst-0-1

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It's a student project, so let's try not to be too picky.
    Didn't try the demo myself yet, so I don't know if it really works well from a gameplay standpoint.

Simon F likes this.
  2. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

That enemy in one of the pics reminds me a lot of one enemy type from Silent Hill 3 I believe... I don't have my PS2 anymore, but I seem to remember something looking like those guys.

Looks pretty decent for a student project, graphics-wise it looks like something from maybe 2002 or so, but then again they probably didn't have 15+ guys working on the gfx either, heh! :) Good use of resources tho, spending polygons on what's needed. Modelling style actually reminds me of Half-Life a bit, and the mood and environments of good ol' Blood from 10 years ago! Don't ask me why tho... It's that corridor I think, the one with the red lights over the doors. Just makes me start thinking of a mental hospital.

3. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

Wow
    if i didn't have other things i HAVE to do i'd be playing it more right now. the concept is fantastic, the graphics do the job, and the interaction is refreshing. so far, i'm really impressed. there are a few things here and there that are a bit rough (art assets mostly), but it's fun.

#3 see colon, Jun 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2006
  4. Gollum

Veteran

The interaction with the environment is quite well done. Being able to swing doors and drawers open manually feels really solid. Such a simple idea, but it has a significant effect on immersion. The combat mechanics are a bit odd (if you can call them that), but then again this game isn't about combat. The graphics do their job well enough, the engine performs well and features most standard and some advanced rendering features. Would be nice to see this game being picked up by a publisher, could turn into something refreshingly different!

5. SugarCoat

Veteran

speaking of episodic gaming.

i was going to create a thread but someone already did! This is well out of a project state and currently largly completed and close to being released as the first episode sometime next month.

Stumbled onto the new demo and it seems generally neat, like a horror Myst meets condemned.

Newer demo here:

http://www.gamershell.com/download_18128.shtml

despite its very small size it also looks quite good. Even more impressive the development team is only 4 people.

Relatively new, and glowing, preview can be found here.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/penumbra/news.html?sid=6165589&mode=recent

#5 SugarCoat, Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  6. Quitch

Veteran

Locker doors act like they weigh a ton though. I had to work hard to open the damn things :)

Shame it doesn't seem to display correctly under Vista.

7. Graham

Graham Hello :-)
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

This is the first game I can remember that has made me feel ill while playing. Something about the movement... :frown:

(I mean the original demo, I haven't tried the new one. Don't really want to, to be honest)

8. Diplo

Veteran

Well, after playing this for a few hours I'm really impressed. Whilst the environments are very low poly and the texturing not amazing, the game engine itself has extremely good real-time lighting. In fact, it's probably got the best and most realistic looking lighting I've seen in any game. This works incredibly well to give it a genuine atmosphere - wandering around bathed in the earie glow of a glowstick or peering into the dark with a flickering torch with limited battery life is genuinely scary.

The physics (using the Newton Dynamics engine) are also extremely well implemented. The idea of 'pulling' open doors and drawers etc. is so obvious yet I can't remember seeing it done this well before. There are also some clever uses of physics that are very impressive...

For instance, at one point in the game I was being chased by this creature, so I ran into a room and 'pulled' the door shut. Looking around I saw some metal boxes which I pulled across the door to bar it. There was then this thudding against the door and then, suddenly, the door broke off it's hinges and fell open over the crate. Very impressive!

Simon F likes this.
  9. Gollum

Veteran

Is the new demo different than the old one from last year?

10. Mummy

Regular

Penumbra episode 1 has been released since months, no love for it?
    I've just finished it and i must say that it's really worth.
    There are some annoying bits (like in every game), the monster movements kinda suck, but overall it's a great game, the interaction with objects is really lovely, you just can't stop playing it when you have started :)

Episode 2 will be out soon too.

#10 Mummy, Dec 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2007
  11. kyleb

Veteran

Hum, I bought it after appreciating what I saw in the demo, but found it rather boring and never got more than a few hours into it.

12. bitwise xor

Newcomer

I played it a while ago and really enjoyed it. Very much looking forward to the next one.

I think the weakest part of the game is how they had the monsters and combat setup, but they said they are going to be deemphasising that aspect even more in the next game so thats good IMO. The other aspects of the game are the interesting ones. I also didn't like the forced action you had to take at the end either. That crazy guy was cool.

But everything else was good. The whole physical interaction thing is nice. More non-shooter first person games please Mr Developers. I'm crossing my fingers that Portal will have been a catalyst for that sort of thing.

13. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

Damn, had to do a double take when I saw Gunden's post near the top of the thread, guess bringing a year old+ thread will do that to you.

14. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

hell, FEAR's lighting leaves alot to be desired on, non MAX setting.

15. mito

mito beyond noob
    Veteran

I purchased the three episodes of Penumbra for $5 from Steam last weekend.

Black Plague, Overture and another one I can't remember the name.

Anyone finished them?

I like the audio, its scary.

16. slapnutz

Regular

Played the first two, didnt bother with the last one since fans hated it and it was more of a small expansion rather than a full game.

17. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

I bought it a couple months ago, played about half way through the first episode immediately, but haven't pick it back up since............cool game though, combat is realistic and treacherous which really makes you loath it. That could be a bad thing, but it lends to how unique the game really is.

18. slapnutz

Regular

Thats coz the idea is not to fight but to hide. It definately adds to the atmosphere and is a truer survival-horror than most games out there with that badge.

Its like the first Silent Hill. They purposely made the Harry Mason character useless at combat because he was a average guy and not some random dude who automatically becomes weapons savy when put in that situation.

Penumbra basically took that approach to the next level. Its probably also will turn off a lot of people expecting it to be like any other FPS.

#18 slapnutz, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2009
  19. Quitch

Veteran

Yeah most people suspect that type of game to be creepy, make you jump, then let you blow its head off with a shotgun.

20. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

That first screen before the dev and publishers splash screens with the red and white lettering outlining a bit of the story at the beginning was pure Silent Hill, and I saw it as soon as he the letters appeared and the main character started talking. I really need to get back to playing it (along with a million other games) but I'm the kind of guy who likes playing that kind of thing on a cold, stormy night, same with STALKER and STALKER Clear Sky. I'm all about mood :razz: