Peek at the 360 roadmap...

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by scooby_dooby, Aug 15, 2006.

1. scooby_dooby

Legend

According to hardocp they have seen a tentative roadmap for the X360. This is probably the source of the digitimes articles about the $200 pricepoint as well. Some good stuff here:

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjA2ODgsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

2. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

That Xbox PC rumor just wont die. A year before the 360 launched there was the 3 SKU rumor: A Core version, a version with a HDD, and a "PC" version. We have seen that the first 2 SKUs were dead on and devs knew about this with substantial lead time. Kind of getting the feeling we will be seeing an Xbox 360 Media something or another at some point.

3. scooby_dooby

Legend

Why would it be anything other than a dashboard update? I don't see what MS has to gain by not putting this functionality on all the systems.

The article implies as much:

4. J_Saint

Regular

1 and 2 seem to contradict each other. If the 360 supports 1080p but there are no plans for HDMI then whats the point? Most of the new displays will not accept 1080p over component and if it's strictly for HD DVD then AACS will only allow 1080p over HDMI anyways.

5. Mmmkay

Regular

If I were to take a random swing at number 2, I'd guess it's similar to how Sony is pimping 1080p for their HDMI'less SKU. The 'connecting cable' there being the analog Japanese D-Terminals. Apparently the Japanese Xbox 360 manual lists D5 as a supported connector, which is required for 1080p. Doesn't have any relevance to Western markets, but that didn't stop Sony either. Jus sayin'.

Other theories include an ADC+HDCP external cable solution, but that's cheating imho ;)

6. Kryton

Regular

I don't know which is the better contradiction, the cabling issue or this.