PC's Assassin Creed Official System Requirements: 2GB of RAM

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by B3D News, Jan 22, 2008.

1. psorcerer

Regular

It's a good engine, no doubt.

Total War, good example! They use formations to save DIPs, they use billboards on very close distances to save it even more.

Need I dodge it once more? :)

2. psorcerer

Regular

You don't really know what it counts and how.
    You need at least NVPerf counters to see it.

3. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

One thing we agree on 100%! :lol:

Who doesn't use billboards in such games for distant/closer trees (although dont know about the new one)? BTW One ofthe Total Rome games support unsynced AI.

Just checking but I strikes me odd about this huge x amount of characters onscreen in AC yet you dont know or wont say the number. But fair enough let's leave that question unanswered! :smile:

4. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

But it neverthless shows 7200 DIP's as total. I assume it is quite valid or what would be the purpose of having that pefomance counter in the engine otherwise?

5. psorcerer

Regular

Dunno. Various reasons may exist, for example it counts the DIPs sent to driver, but the driver optimizes out the unneeded ones.
    Two subsequent DIPs with no state change between them are likely to be optimized into one by the driver.

6. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

That makes no sense. If its an advantage, its an advantage, regardless of where the game originated from.

I'm not saying more than 2GB is always going to be used, in fact it hardly ever is. But its still there as a potential hardware advantage should the devs choose to use it.

The ironic thing is that for all the slating we're giving AC here, it may turn out to be one of the few games to put more than 2GB to real benefit (it would have to offer something over the console version of course, otherwise its just a bad port)

Weel I already gave one but just look to pretty much any cross platform game. Gears, Bioshock, CM:Dirt, TR:Legend, CoD4 etc.., etc...

Except, you don't. Like I said, games tend to load faster on the PC. In some cases much faster.

Bottom line is that that game was released on both systems simultaneously and everyone knows consoles get more optimisation than some random PC setup because its a fixed platform.

Or are you seriously trying to say that Oblivion is optimised better for my C2D E6400, 2GB DDR2 577Mhz, GF8800 640MB than it is for the 360? Even though most of that hardware didn't even exist when Oblivion launched?

Care to give any evidence at all of that unlikely claim?

Again, any evidence?

#146 pjbliverpool, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  7. pjbliverpool

Legend

So lets get this straight. Any game thats allowed to demonstrate itself on the PC is a "PC engine based game" - thus explaining its superior performance.

But any game thats not able to demonstrate itself on PC just happens to be a console engine and thus not possible on PC.

What a load of rubbish. The reason you don't see games with not a top-down camera and lots of characters on PC is because hardly any exist on any platform. Pretty much the only one that does IS coming to the PC. The only other one I can think of is dead rising which is also supposed to be coming to the PC.

#147 pjbliverpool, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  8. pjbliverpool

Legend

Superb post, thanks man. Answered a lot of questions.

9. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

While some people think that forums exist to create an echo chamber of "me too!" type posts, we've never believed that here at Beyond3D.com. This means, however, that members will have differences of opinion. We celebrate that fact while insisting that members express those differences of opinion civilly.

We've warned this thread once already, and this is the last warning this thread gets. If a mod has to come in here again because people are getting frustrated and starting to make snarky comments about each other it's going to get bloody.

10. pjbliverpool

Legend

11. Galduta

Veteran

Well , not is in the same point, but

[​IMG]

From the FTP of UBISOFT , I believe that is the PC version

[​IMG]

12. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Wow, the last screenshot looks far better than the first 2. Much better lighting, more geometry, better textures, far better shadow LOD/res.:shock:

13. Galduta

Veteran

Not is the same point . It looks like the far detail is better - but has some fog - . See for example the tower of the right - is more far from the PC screen but has more detail .

14. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

The PC screen sport more geometry detail, more detail on far away objects and such. And the "fog" looks more like volumetric lighting approach and gives depth to the scene. The Console versions looks like they got flat lighting a la ~DX8 type!

15. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

It's a relief after looking at all those devil may cry SS' to see a difference at first glance. Now the question will be, how will it play? This goes a ways to justify the memory requirements IMO. Not fully, but somewhat.

16. pjbliverpool

Legend

Interesting. There does seem to be vastly more detail in that last shot. If its from the PC and if its indicative of the level of detail throughout the whole game then I owe the devs of this game an apology!

17. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

Ya suck up. ^^

Hey if this is kind of a relief now. If console/pc ports can maintain this trend then I'll just wait and buy my cross port games on the computer. I hope Fuddy is right about the R700 being released in June! (Not sure if they'll release the high end card or the mainstream card first or at the same time! :) ) I think it's time my computer got some bada$$ games to munch on.

18. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

I.......am.....buying......this.

Its nice to see, for once in a long time, PC users aren't getting shafted, graphics wise on a multiplatform game.

From what I've seen so far, at least. Just look at the LOS in the PC version in comparison to the other two, its almost lightyears beyond the consoles. Theres also the obvious texture differences, but take a gander at the shadows, especially at a distance. There's not only more, they're more defined.

#158 Dresden, Feb 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2008
  19. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Still don't buy 2GB is needed for this.