PCMCIA Sound Cards

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
Why don't we see more PCMCIA sound cards on the market? I'd imagine that there are advantages to the PC Card over USB 2.0, aren't there? It's basically PCI right? Especially the latest slots that support cardbus...

You'd think Creative would have hit this market years ago with their business saavy in the desktop market.

swaaye said:
Why don't we see more PCMCIA sound cards on the market? I'd imagine that there are advantages to the PC Card over USB 2.0, aren't there? It's basically PCI right? Especially the latest slots that support cardbus...

You'd think Creative would have hit this market years ago with their business saavy in the desktop market.

I'll venture a guess and say that 5.1 Dolby Surround systems are a minority for laptop users ;)

I think for most people, the advantage to the PC card would be the mechanism: it's hard to avoid wiring with USB devices. PC cards, on the other hand, can be put into a slot. There are other advantages, especially regarding USB 2.0 supports.

However, it's harder to design a PCMCIA sound card. PC cards can't be very large. Heat is also another problem. The amps in the sound card can generate a lot heat. On the other hand, the heat from the computer can increase the noise level.

I have a PCMCIA sound card, manufatured by the Echo Audio. It supports stereo playback only. It supports ASIO and GSIF, so it's ideal for music station use. There are more expensive versions which supports recording. However, it gets really hot after extensive use...

PCChen, I'm looking at the Echo Indigos and another one called VXPocket. Their prices are a bit steep, but I imagine the quality is impeccable considering the market they are after.

I've actually considered a Creative Audigy NX USB2 but it has a lame power brick that completely ruins it for me.

Basically, I'd like to have dual outputs so I can DJ with headphones while having a line out as well. Sorta wish the laptop just had a ALC650 instead of a ALC250, then I could use the other output.....ah well.

Back