PCIe 16x card in a PCIe 4x slot?

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
Just as a sanity check before attempting the above, is this supposed to work? Googling on it appears to come up with conflicting answers. The 4x slot is open ended, so the card fits nicely into it, which I take means I'm supposed to be able to do this, right? It doesn't fit into the 1x slots on the other hand.

It's mechanically a 16x slot, but electrically just 4x, right? I think it should work..

if your talking about the x1900 series cards then ati say no
even though ive seen it work, and asrock when asked emailed me back a few days later and said we just tried 3dmark for 24 hours and it ran no problems

i even gave the guy from ati an easy way out i said "i understand you cant check every board and graphics card combination if you havnt tested just tell me i understand"
but no he was absolutely adamant that it doesnt work - as you can tell im a bit pissed that he would lie to me

my mate had a x1900pro working in an asrock p4-dual 880pro dual mboard (4 lane pci-e + agp)
and i had a 7600gt in the same board

It's mechanically a 16x slot, but electrically just 4x, right?
You're talking about a physical/electrical x4/x4 slot or x16/x4?

No idea to be honest. I've never used anything but the regular 16x slot. My mobo is an Asus A8N-E, looking like this. Especially with the lock is looks dimensioned to be able to host a 16x card.

if your talking about the x1900 series cards then ati say no

Well, the problem is I have an engineering sample card, which works in XP, but unfortunately I don't get any signal on the boot screen nor if I boot into Vista. So I was hoping I would be able to have two cards in the system, using the secondary just to get an image, and then hopefully be able to find a way to kick some life into the other card. I have a few other cards to select between, doesn't matter which, either an X1800XL or a 6600, or if neccesary the HD2900XT.

What mobo are you using? My 1900XT runs perfectly (albeit far worse performance) on my MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum 4x open ended slot (2x electrical)

I don't care about performance. If I get a picture I'm happy. Actually, I think the question is, is there are chance I could damage the card or mobo by connecting it to the slot? Like if it's not really meant to be connected that way. If there's no harm, I'll at least give it a shot.

What mobo are you using? My 1900XT runs perfectly (albeit far worse performance) on my MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum 4x open ended slot (2x electrical)

Qoute from ATI (the lying bunch of bar stewards)

"Solution: You definately must have a PCI-E x16 slot on your motherboard to run any of ATI's current video cards, including the X1900XT"

We have some ati employees who are members, why are they giving out mis-information?. it would be interesting to know as they claim to have tested 4 lane pci slots so they must be aware they work

Last edited by a moderator:
Good, now we can be more certain if the question comes up again. :)

Well, I don't know who you've talked to, but I guess he could just have been misinformed. It also seems that PCIe x4 slots aren't always open-ended like on my mobo. I don't know what's most common, but if it's not open-ended, then an x16 card won't fit into it.

The open-ended slots are the ones who are mechanically 16x, but electrically 8x or 4x.

The open-ended slots are the ones who are mechanically 16x, but electrically 8x or 4x.

What do you mean "mechanically"? I think it would be more appropriate simply to state that it is physically x4 and can accomodate any sized card due to it's open-ended design.

now you just need to talk to your friends at ati and ask them why they are telling everyone it doesnt...

any ati employees prepared to comment...

You clearly don't understand the precautions you must take with your products. They can't claim it works till they've tested it with EVERY possible setup that could likely be confused for this. The time that would take is ridiculous compared to the benefit. Think logically about this... please.

well the guy from ati was totally adamant that a specific card would not work with a specific board
logical enough for me :D
he even seemed to get a bit angry when i suggested maybe he had not tested with this exact combination

oh and when i asked asrock the same question you know what they did ?
they went out and bought the card in question tested it and emailed me the results a few days later - hows that for customer service

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean "mechanically"? I think it would be more appropriate simply to state that it is physically x4 and can accomodate any sized card due to it's open-ended design.
And saying it's mechanically 16x sums that it up quite nicely.

Qoute from ATI (the lying bunch of bar stewards)

"Solution: You definately must have a PCI-E x16 slot on your motherboard to run any of ATI's current video cards, including the X1900XT"

We have some ati employees who are members, why are they giving out mis-information?. it would be interesting to know as they claim to have tested 4 lane pci slots so they must be aware they work

Must be mis-information or something, since they even have (or the AIB's have) cards made for PCI Express x1 slots, like here:
article_img.jpg

Back