PCI-SIG releases the PCIe 2.0 spec

Arty

KEPLER
Veteran
From Ars

When you combine the new generation of DirectX 10-compatible graphics cards with the extra bandwidth that PCIe 2.0 affords, you get a recipe for another leap in PC graphics sometime in the second half of 2007.

The electromechanical spec for the next revision of PEG is yet to be finalised (from what I can tell), but yes, the proposal is for 225/300W.

It'll certainly be nice to not have any power cables running to the graphics card. Any ideas on when products following the new spec should hit the market?

What's the advantage of having to route the current through the mainboard instead of going directly from PSU to graphics card?

Isn't it obvious - it's one (or two) less cables to run. If you have a modular PSU (like I do) it's a pretty nice thing to have. Nothing functional of course.

It also means a card that won't work in PCIe 1.0 slots (stupid), or a more complex card that either get power from the slot or from a connector and you have to plug the connector if you have a PCIe 1.0 motherboard but not if you have a 2.0 motherboard : stupid and confusing.

this will be as meaningful as AGP pro.

I have another question?

A. PCIe 2.0 is it going to be called PCI-Express 32X or still 16X

B. How come nobody mentions about watts for 2.0 specifications if 2.0 already been done/finalized. [Edit: I mean based on this article above]
The PCI-SIG announced today that the final version of the PCI Express Base 2.0 Specification is now out and available to members. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070115-8623.html

Sorry for asking "I just don't know :("

Or maybe for now they will keep 75W - even for PCIe 2.0. And due this ?
DUE TO THE uncontrolled power spiral on modern GPUs, the nearly brand new PCIe 75W power connector is overwhelmed and cards already need two of them. No sooner do they become common and useful than they get relegated to the dustbin.

They are to be replaced by an eight pin PCIe connector that, surprise, provides much more juice. Instead of doing the right thing like Intel and AMD, NV and ATI are blithely upping the power to unsustainable levels.http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36987

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaving aside the power issue for a moment...

Can we expect any near-term benefit from the extra bandwidth (8 vs. 4 GB/s for 16x connectors) for graphic or GPGPU applications?

When exactly did we pass the inflection point where there was a signficant performance gain from going AGP to PCI-E on tasks that didn't need the write-back bandwidth from the card?

Last time I saw such a comparison, there was little difference, and I don't think those tests are done anymore.

Are there any high-end offerings still on AGP?

I think the last AGP card from ATI was the X1650Pro, and before that was the X850 XT. On nVidia's side... you've got the 7800GS.

It also means you need more/new cables to the mainboard.

Still cleaner IMO. And there's always room for a new ?TX spec that doesn't require 6 different cables going into the motherboard.

Blazkowicz said:
It also means a card that won't work in PCIe 1.0 slots (stupid), or a more complex card that either get power from the slot or from a connector and you have to plug the connector if you have a PCIe 1.0 motherboard but not if you have a 2.0 motherboard : stupid and confusing.

this will be as meaningful as AGP pro.

So what would you prefer - that they create a new slot or that PCIe 1.0 lasts forever?

There's a large number of X1950 Pros out there in AGP, some in 256MB flavor others in 512MB.

actually i've looked around for fun and havent found many actually in stock (only noticed 2 brands, sapphire and i think the other was power color), and the ones i have located were quite expensive. $250-$280.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back