PCI-SIG and MIPI Alliance Reveal Mobile PCIe Specification

Discussion in 'Mobile Industry' started by ToTTenTranz, Mar 6, 2013.

1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

PCI-SIG and MIPI Alliance Reveal Mobile PCIe Specification

Could this mean an end to the dirt-slow eMMC we get even in the highest-end handhelds?

2. Nebuchadnezzar

Legend

No.

I don't see what the relation between this and eMMC speed, they are slow in handhelds because of lack of parallelism because they only have a single IC with only a couple (correct me here) of memory dies. They are also directly connected to the SoC, so I doubt it's some sort of bottleneck in the interface itself.

3. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

If it was that linear, mPCIe wasn't being implemented and they wouldn't brag about faster I/O speeds in the press release.

4. Turbotab

Newcomer

5. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

PCIe over a MIPI phy is probably just another PHY layer for PCIe, the way you can put PCIe over Thunderbolt. It means that existing higher level software stacks should just work.

I suppose one way or the other this can be beneficial for flash storage, but I highly doubt this is a first order driver for doing this. PCIe is too heavy a protocol to just serve ordinary flash chips.

Now why you'd want this over MIPI instead of the regular PCIe PHY is a different question. I believe MIPI PHYs are easier and lightweight (and lower clock?), so it should be a better choice in terms of power and design complexity than regular PCIe?