[PC] Wolfenstein 2009

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Davros, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

2. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

I think developers feel the need to reinvent the wheel constantly. If a game dynamic works well then change it to imitate some other game that sold well. It is strange.

3. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I preferred the early levels precisely because they didn't have the Jedi stuff. There aren't enough good games that explore the SW universe's non-Jedi aspects. I wish Imperial Commando, Republic Commando's aborted successor, had been made.

As others have said too, I think that the original JK game is the best in the Dark Forces / Jedi Knight series. Its expansion pack was great too.

IMO this Wolfenstein game looks really been-there-done-that. It's not that pretty either really. At least, it's not ground breaking on that front. It looks like another run and gun shooter and I'm just really tired of that type of game unless it adds some extras like sandbox style play. I'm sure it will entertain the console people to no end though.

#43 swaaye, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  4. Alejux

Newcomer

I remember when I upgraded my system to a 486 and how smooth it ran Wofenstein3D... man I'm old...

5. obonicus

Veteran

Yeah, I'd pay a lot of money for a sequel to Republic Commando, but JK2 was the most fun Jedi slaughter simulator -- it was essentially the point of the game. Kyle got awfully powerful awfully fast, and the Jedi vs. Jedi battles weren't that satisfying (usually frustrating, sometimes quite cinematic). And the MP was great, I had a lot more fun with JK2 than with JK.

I'm not sure I agree, the controls for JK were just a bit wonky for the powers and saber combat. JK2 really improved things that way, but yeah, the non-jedi stuff is (a lot) better. The guns just felt better. Both were great games, and yeah, I loved how the expansion actually played into the EU a bit. Still, the expansion pushed the Jedi stuff a lot harder than the original game (you were playing Mara Jade, afterall).

6. swaaye

Legend

No doubt JK2 did Jedi much much better than JK1. You'll get no argument from me on that aspect. But I think JK1 did everything else better. Raven completely missed the intelligent and expansive levels aspect of JK1.

Kyle Katarn was most interesting as a no-remorse ex-Imperial-spec-forces-gone-mercenary not relying on magic powers IMO.

#46 swaaye, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  7. obonicus

Veteran

[massive OT]Yeah, probably, but that's not really Star Wars anymore. It's now all about the Jedi. If they redid the original trilogy Han Solo would probably be tossing stormtroopers around with his mind. [/massive OT]

8. swaaye

Legend

My 3 favorite Raven games are 1) Heretic/Hexen 2) JK2 3) Elite Force expansion pack (cuz it's a geekily delightful sandbox). The rest were rather forgettable. Hexen and Heretic are too similar to be separately counted IMO ;)

#48 swaaye, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2009
  9. _xxx_

Banned

Oh yeah, me too. Doom2 in fullscreen insead of a reduced window for the very first time, THAT was a blast :D

10. swaaye

Legend

I went from a Tandy 286 8 with 640K RAM (shared with video too) to a 486DX2 50 with an unreal 8MB. Wolf3D, Falcon 3.0 and Star Trek 25th Anniversary were the first games I played on it. That was one hell of a jump. Not only was there the massively faster CPU, but also the move from lower-res Tandy 16 color to 256-color VGA and SVGA. And there was the jump from the Tandy audio to a Sound Blaster Pro. At least I hadn't been stuck with IBM XT level stuff. That Tandy was so much better than CGA + PC Speaker.

The only other gaming jump that I recall being close to that was getting a Voodoo1. We've been going all gradual-like ever since. The progress in the past 6 years or so feels rather glacial actually.

#50 swaaye, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009
  11. a.tard.living.in.his.own

Banned

no one says that bullet time has to be one of the veil's abilities in mp. and since there are far more of them in the singleplayer game i would think that something like player enhanced speed or strength is likely somthing we will get in multiplayer mode.

anyway. i dont get your personal insult on the gameplay and design approuch made by nerve. it was meant to be a multiplayer game and since a multiplayer game is played by peoples from different countries and timezones there was someting called PUB. so, why in gods name you think some ladder shit has something to do how well a map is designed or how well a game will be accepted by the crowd is beyond me. if you want it to fail look at quakewars and no further!

12. obonicus

Veteran

Well, sure, but did you see the video I posted? The suggestion is that bullet time will exist in MP as well.

First of all, there's no personal insult. Gameplay isn't a person, and neither is nerve.

Second, and you'll have to excuse my slightly rose-tinted glasses, but you have to look at why RTCW was so good (and really what caused its downfall as well): the teamplay was incredibly hardcore. Controls were easy, weapon choices were simple but nonetheless it was a game with a huge barrier to entry. If you didn't know what you were doing you could singlehandedly lead your team to an utter, embarassing defeat. This type of teamplay (plus the game's pedigree) pushed a ton of excellent teams from Q3 and UT into RTCW. This elevated the quality of the game all-around, because even scrubs started emulating the organized teams -- they had to, otherwise we'd be looking at 30s matches. RTCW play reached an incredibly advanced level on pubs very quickly -- Q3 and UT had something similar, but only in those games' twilight, when only the enthusiasts were left.

So based on the evolving meta-game, with tactics developed by top-tier clans, spread by CAL (and other tournaments/ladders) demos and propagated by lesser clans into pubs, the game's initial maps were best experienced at 8v8. Anything less and it becomes really difficult to defend, anything more and it just gets too chaotic. Except then, when promised bonus maps show up... they're 12v12 (or more)! How do you include these maps in the rotation? Either you play the original, superior maps crowded to the gills or you play on gigantic, empty maps. And then, when the promised ET comes out, it's following the pattern of the new maps, and objectives are laid out linearly across enormous maps.

Now, I realize that what I'm mentioning doesn't necessarily tie into actual popularity. It certainly was RTCW's case, that game faded out with a quick whimper, and I don't doubt it's because of the barrier to entry I mentioned before. There's a reason why no one seems to want to make games like Quakeworld/Q3 anymore, and why UT has been slower and more cumbersome with each iteration.

And Quakewars is essentially what I'm saying: QW:ET is more like RTCW:ET, obviously. I just don't think that Splash Damage was as good as Nerve at its prime. And I trust Raven's pedigree even less.

13. Davros

Legend

14. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Any word of a Steam release? I've seen nothing, but pretty much all other id games are out on Steam (except Quake 4, for some reason), so it would follow this one should be as well.

15. slapnutz

Regular

16. swaaye

Legend

I'm thinking I'll hold off until it's like $9.99. :)

17. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

The company that worked on the multiplayer appears to be down to a skeleton crew which doesn't bode well for MP support. :|

18. swaaye

Legend

That's too bad.. I am seeing people ripping apart the MP though, because apparently it looks rather ugly or some such. I saw one person say that it looks like RtCW.

But honestly I'm really only interested in good single player and this game just doesn't sound all that fascinating..

19. _xxx_

Banned

EF2 was Ritual. And it beat the shite out of EF1.

Back to topic - now I'm disappointed, if Raven did this game then my expectations are below zero. Meh.

20. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

And Raven used to be a solid developer back in the 90s.