[PC] Wolfenstein 2009

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Davros, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Scott_Arm

Legend

I kind of liked the 2nd X-men legends game, but I never finished Ultimate Alliance because my pc was too crap to play it.

2. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Agreed. But I seem to remember I managed to enable limb severing in SP and MP. Meaning basically one hit kill. Now that was something!

3. Davros

Legend

4. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

Isn't this the game where they said they were taking OUT the hidden areas? I LOVED that about return to wolfenstein. spamming that key (whatever it was) while skimming along wall tapestries and stuff to see if there was a hidden room.

5. Davros

Legend

that was the original wolfenstein
    I remember doing that to every wall in blake stone
    [​IMG]

6. kyleb

Veteran

RTCW has such hiden areas too.

7. Silent_Buddha

Legend

How could you Davros? /slap...

That wasn't the original Woflenstein...That was a remake of the original Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple ][

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Wolfenstein

Now THAT is the original. :)

Regards,
    SB

PS - referring to your comment, not the picture. :p

#27 Silent_Buddha, Feb 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
  8. obonicus

Veteran

GTTV has a big preview on Wolfenstein. Not terribly excited, haven't been thrilled with Raven's latest single-player games. Confirmed: no Hitler. Also, a whole ton of spooky magic, including amazing, never-before-seen bullet-time.

Keeping an eye for it for multiplayer, but I'm sure they won't capture lightning in a bottle twice in a row.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=52

9. CEO

CEO
    Newcomer

so WHO is excited? After watching GTTV i am certainly not. This started as a PC Franchise afaik. now the pc isnt even mentioned after the OCCULT trailer ends... just ridiculous are the low res textures...damn man...thats sad.

10. _xxx_

Banned

Raven? No thanks.

11. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

Don't think they are doing the multiplayer anyway so it is irrelevant whether they capture it twice :)

12. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

JK2 SP sucks also. I never got past the first level since it's so frustating already with that ridiculous spread on laser weapons.

13. obonicus

Veteran

Hm, looking into it, it's a bit confusing as to who's doing the MP. It's not Nerve, that I can tell, but someone somewhere is saying that the MP is practically a total conversion of ET:QW played on very small maps, and is 8v8. Hopefully this is true, makes it sound a lot more promising. Though the same rumor mentions only 3 classes, and I'm still pretty unsold on 'bullet-time' in MP.

But by 'twice' I was referring to RTCW in general; past the initial release, everything else just wasn't as good. The new maps were far too large for the type of matchups the game encouraged -- most of the original maps were made for a small number of players (not to mention that ladders like CAL or even id's official tournaments were made for 8v8. But the new maps required far more. Made playing new maps in any sort of regular rotation problematic at best. And RTCW:ET just wasn't as good, it was a lot more linear than RTCW was at its best, which also made it less brutally unforgiving (which for such a heavily tactics-based game was a bad thing).

14. obonicus

Veteran

The first two levels suck, but the jedi levels are great. It's from that curious bit of game design of 'it gets better later'.

15. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

The MP is being developed by /Endrant, a startup made up of former Splash Damage people.

Btw, birds are spreading a rumour that Wolfie 2 will be using two different engines: the quake 4 engine + modifications Raven made (shadow buffers for one) for the single player and the ETQW engine for the mp - which makes sense if the people working on MP are very confortable with that engine.

Meh, I much prefer W:ET to the original RtCW MP, but whatever floats your boat. :smile:

16. _xxx_

Banned

"Later" as in JK5, maybe? Or the endless dumb jump-and-run parts?

I rarely played a crappier game with a crappier ending.

17. obonicus

Veteran

It's okay to have wrong opinions. :D It's the internet. ET had a slightly tighter control scheme, which was good, but part of the beauty of RTCW's good maps was that you could lose a map in about 30s if you didn't know what you were doing. ET forced you to do most of the objectives and the maps were just HUGE. It was far more forgiving because of it... and IMO one of RTCW's great strengths is that it was incredibly hardcore for a team game (it also probably contributed to its demise, a lot of great clans just couldn't muster the dedication and so clans jumped out of RTCW pretty early in its lifespan).

Not terribly reassuring, I didn't like Splash Damage's efforts at all. And yeah, that's what I meant by a QW:ET total conversion. A google search led me to some guy on some forum saying he's an activision rep and stating exactly that, among other things.

I mean as soon as you become a jedi the game improves considerably. It becomes an -easy- game, but the way the powers worked were extremely intuitive. And the ending is great; running through dagobah and force-pushing rockets back at stormtroopers while tearing up AT-STs was great fun.

18. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I miss the original JK, it's really great with its huge open spaces, uncompressed music, looking great on voodoo1 at the time, with both lightsaber/force spells AND usable weapons.
    I also would play the original dark forces rather than JK2.

19. _xxx_

Banned

Yeah, the original JK just rocked.

It's not that JK2 was really _bad_, it's just that it was laughable in comparison.

20. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Ridicilous? Did you ever watch the Star Wars movies? You're just obviously using Imperial weaponry, so of course the spread is humongous

Edit:
    On the topic, I've always liked games made by Raven, but the GTTV preview got my hopes down a lot, occult & magic is ok, but the railgun-esque-whatever-gun is a big meh, and so is the "black sun power" thing in general