[PC] Wolfenstein 2009

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Davros, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Davros

Legend

2. kyleb

Veteran

I found Raven's early works rather uninspired, and hence was disappointed when id hired them on for Q4. However, they did a decent job with Q4, and this project seems to be coming along well too. Rather ironic as I am a huge fan of RTCW, made by Grey Matter studios which is now a part of Treyarch, and their CoD games I find uninspired much the same as Raven's early works.

3. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Raven rocks, I'm looking forward to this one. :)

4. Davros

Legend

What!!!

Hexen 1/2
    Heretic 1/2
    Soldier of Fortune 1/2
    Star Trek - Elite Force 1/2
    Jedi Academy/Outcast

5. kyleb

Veteran

I did enjoy Elite Force II, but that was Ritual, not Raven. As for the others you mention, of what I played I wasn't impressed.

6. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Nice. I remember return to Castle Wolfenstein released 2001/2(?). Loved the athmopshere it had and variety.

7. L233

Veteran

My first reaction was **yawn** but it actually does look somewhat interesting.

8. ban25

Veteran

I love the X-Men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance series from Raven. Hexen and Hexen II were also lots of fun.

9. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I thought Quake 4 felt like Elite Force. You even had the squad based gameplay. I felt that Raven didn't really nail the Quake atmosphere very well. The soundtrack was part of it. Quake 2 should've been more of an influence there. And the multiplayer sure went nowhere.

I think the original Elite Force was as good or better than EF2. I didn't like it that much though. Too much stupidity (portable torpedo launcher?) and again lacked good atmosphere from my Trekkie perspective. It was just too arcade-like or some such. Why invent stupid guns? I thought DS9 The Fallen was much better.

Jedi Knight 2 is probably their best game. That one definitely lacked the original JK's scale, however. It was pretty and a decent game, but they again should have taken a look at its predecessor's strengths a bit more.

10. obonicus

Veteran

Do we know anything about the MP? RTCW's singleplayer was okay, but not exceptional. The multiplayer was without par... even RTCW:ET wasn't as good.

Of course, considering that in ladders and tournaments matches were 6vs6 and that the later maps were all made for teams twice as big as that suggests to me that even Nerve wasn't sure what was so great about the game.

11. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

I agree with this. It just did not work out quite, but it was ok. I hope that Raven realizes it reflects on them as well. So many people say "id sucks look at Quake4" and that allows the responsibility to be shirked somewhat. Hopefully it turns out nice I liked RTCW myself at the time.

12. Davros

Legend

I think raven has done much better with id's engines than id has done

13. swaaye

Legend

Until you factor in the incredible popularity of Doom 1/2, Quake, Quakeworld, Quake2, and Quake3 for multiplayer. Raven has had nothing there. SoF2, JK2, and JA had small communities for MP... Quake 4 a few fans too. But not even remotely on the same scale as the id games.

And Heretic/Hexen were a co-development between id and Raven. John Romero was a big influence there. You can also see his desires in Quake, with its weird range of fantasy/medieval settings that were almost a preview of Daikatana. He initially wanted Quake to be a sort of RPG, I believe.

I read that book about id (Masters of Doom) that came out years ago now. It has lots of interesting backstory about them and their games. Raven is in Madison, WI (I've visted a couple of times). id was in Madison for a short while too. That's how they met and became close partners. id ran away cuz it's apparently too cold in WI for them (lmao.)

#13 swaaye, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  14. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

I think that is good and well, but their last effort being Q4 was not spectacular IMO. It was fun, but that is all. I wanted to start where the pod landed after Q2, not the way it did instead.

15. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

As a big fan of Raven from "back in the day" (i.e. Shadowcaster onwards) after SoF2 and JAcademy I felt they lost something. Like the successes of SoF, Elite Force and JK made them too cocky. Remember all the "Elite Force is the first good ST game" in reviews?

Anyway, this isn't looking very good. Some shots have horrendous model clipping, low texture resolution, the polys are very noticeable, etc. I do hope the gameplay makes up for it but after the last 5-6 years of Raven games I'm not too hopeful.

The MP part of Wolfie2 is being handled by Endrant, a splinter company formed from ex-members of splash damage. Current rumours say the MP will be a lot closer to Wolf:Enemy Territory than the original Return to Castle Wolfenstein MP. (which is excellent in my book) Though considering that I've had an opportunity to discuss the enemy territory class system (and other parts) with Wils while he was at Splash Damage after the release of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars I have a feeling there will some gameplay changes to the W:ET formula since he's now at Endrant.

Today's Activision financial conference call puts Wolfie2 as a summer release. I haven't yet read the reports in detail so I can't say if it's financial release or calendar release and besides, even if it really means June-Aug I'm sure it will slip to Autumn... 'cuz.

16. Davros

Legend

Nooo Kilngon Honour Guard was the first

17. obonicus

Veteran

It wasn't bad at all, but it lacked the razor focus of RTCW -- the maps were huge, and seemed to lack a lot of RTCW's potential for 'whoops, our inept team managed to lose this round in 34s'. Objectives were just a lot more complicated, and required several more linear steps, not to mention requiring a lot more players to fill out the map. RTCW's best maps could be defended by a team of 6 (and indeed they were, even on id's official quakecon events). It was the best team-play game I ever played.

#17 obonicus, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009
  18. swaaye

Legend

Star Trek 25th Anniversary for PC or TNG A Final Unity.

KHG was not bad. It didn't use the Unreal engine as well as Unreal did however. I made some Youtube vids of that game once I finally got it working again with a Glide wrapper.

Elite Force's supposed greatness is really overblown. It was neat to have to deal with the borg, but it was Voyager Borg and they solved all Borg challenge right off the bat by inventing the IMOD borg gun. The EF demo was really enough for me but I did go through almost all of the final product. Really don't like that game much.

#18 swaaye, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
  19. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

JK2 in MP sucked. Rear sweep/backstab was the only move anyone did because it was a basic one-hit kill every time and if you bumped up mouse sensitivity a lot it was trivial to do. Pull/push + that = win.

20. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is the best comic book game I've ever played. A helluva lot of fun for an old Marvel fanboy such as myself.