Pc will only load a select few websites..

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
I already ran VundoFix.exe and it did find 4 or 5 instances of it but it didnt help, I still cant even search on google, I can get to the main page but no search. It sounds exactly like vundo expect I removed it:devilish:

Ideas?

I would fire up autoruns and processexplorer to do some detective work. I would also run hijackthis.

Why don't you post some logs for us if you are not comfortable doing the detective work by yourself.

Are you using the latest version?

http://vundofix.atribune.org/

7.0.0.6 seems to be the latest.

Also there's this.

If you encounter a variant of Vundo that VundoFix does not detect or cannot remove please let us know on our forum located at http://www.atribune.org/forums/ in the HijackThis and Malware Removal section. The forum staff is always happy to help with removal of Vundo and other malware as well.

It's not a problem with the dsl modem(which doubles as a router) because my other pc works fine.
I jjust dled vundofix so it is latest version, illl try hijackthis.
Note- I normally wouldnt ask for help on this sort of thing but running vundofix didnt fix it nor did AVG so im perplexed.

You should also check and see if your hosts file has been tampered with.

It resides in system32\drivers\etc and you open it in a text editor.

Don't install it. Go to portableapps.com and get Firefox Portable Edition. Just unpack it and run the exe.

Firefox proper can't be running at the same time, though.

It wasnt a browser problem, thats the first thing I tried.
I finally was able to track down the virus, luckily.
all is well.

More importantly, how did you get it?
The one time I found a virus on my PC, back in '98 or '99, was some inconspicuous keylogger I knew had come with some No-CD crack. That teached me good ;)

There's currently a huge spike in worm activity at the moment due to a severe security flaw in Windows that allows a remote attacker to take over your PC. MS released a windows patch out of their normal patch schedule last Tues/Weds to close it, but code has been published and a lot of attempts to compromise PCs are going on.

There's currently a huge spike in worm activity at the moment due to a severe security flaw in Windows that allows a remote attacker to take over your PC. MS released a windows patch out of their normal patch schedule last Tues/Weds to close it, but code has been published and a lot of attempts to compromise PCs are going on.

Yeah I read about that. I guess some times it does pay to have the Windows Update set to be true automatically!

More importantly, how did you get it?
The one time I found a virus on my PC, back in '98 or '99, was some inconspicuous keylogger I knew had come with some No-CD crack. That teached me good ;)
I have no idea how I got it since I certainly dont goto questionable website and never use IE.

just AVG, did a scan.
Before the real time was catching it but i guess it was only getting copies of it, not the original which the scan must have got rid of.

ugh!
a friend has been figuring out how to install and actually use an old XP CD w/o service pack. got a SP2 CD and he's still toasted.
haha that's unlucky timing.

the virus I almost got but which infested a lot of people wasn't a worm. it's one of theses stupid ones that infest USB drives and create an autorun.inf. Windows then makes use of the brilliant AutoPlay feature to look for the virus and automatically run it (infecting your partitions). Isn't that funny? to disable this on XP Home you need TweakUI or an impossible to remember reg setting, by the way.

At least that virus could be manually deleted (with the attrib and del commands).
that's another amusement : while virus scanners are powerful beasts that will nail it down 99% of the time, they sometimes can't get rid of the virus, but you can be able to simply kill and delete it.

I'd recommend only installing a machine behind a hardware firewall nowadays. Even if you install off the net, as soon as you go online to get the latest patches, you can get caught out before those patches are installed. Even the latest slipstreamed OS isn't good enough as it doesn't include the serious security patches released after the service pack.

That happened to me had just moved from a pci dsl modem (whicch you have to connect)to a router (which is allways connected) so I forgot to disconect it while installing xp i only went to google, did a search for zonealarm and started to download it and before it was done i got hit with a load of popup's decided it was quicker/easier to re-install than to clear up the mess

if you've caught anything dodgy superantispyware will catch and clean it
this is the first thing i use when cleaning up less savvy folks msn'd or other ms open backdoor loophole exploited machines
just untick the options that state to not check this or not check that and do a full scan
bear in mind that's it's really thorough and could take an hour or so
i do wish they'd change their image from the one that (to me) looks like one of those fake cleaners

Back