[PC] Resident Evil 5

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Dresden, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

I'm surprised no one made a thread about RE5, yet. I haven't had a chance to pick it up on PC yet, but anyone have any reviews? Comments? How's it stack up next to the 360/PS3 version (I think the 360 version is rather impressive.
    I loved playing as Jill in Mercenaries.
    ) What are the differences? I'm excited for the ability to use my mouse. I haven't stumbled across any reviews, yet, so I'm stuck in limbo on whether or not I should buy it again.

2. almighty

Banned

I imagine all the Resi 5 talk would be in the Resi 5 benchmark thread :)

3. suryad

Veteran

Unfortunately this is b3d we are talking about...that thread is a really poor place for finding out what peoples' impressions were of the game...:p people were more interesting in benchmarking the snot out of it haha.

4. PhilB

Regular

This is definitely on my to get list. I'll probably pick it up as soon as I can find it for under 30.

5. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

I want to wait, but I don't want to hold out, at the same time. I think I'll wait until some reviews are rattled off before I make my decision. Pity, 95% of the games I bought on my 360 wound up coming out on PC.

6. suryad

Veteran

Thats not pity...thats great. You should have just bought the PC versions!!!

7. I.S.T.

Veteran

I've played a bit of the PC version, and have beaten the X360 version. Seems to have more enemies, even on easy mode(Which is my default mode because I'm terrible... >.<) AA of any kind+DX9 mode=fucked up graphics. Really odd glitches. Do not even try. DX10 mode AA works fine.

nVidia's SSAO option apparently is not supported for this, but I did not try to force it. Might work after all.

Motion Blur looks a lot worse when you're right next to the monitor than it does when you're several feet away, FWIW. I would turn it off. I did and the game is better looking for it.

Stick the 30 FPS cap on. The game animates twice as fast or more with the other options on. Looks really awkward. I can't imagine playing it in semi-super speed...

Keyboard/mouse, according to a friend of mine, works well. I couldn't cope with the controls, but I've got disabilities that hamper any attempts at using keyboard/mouse controls in any game(Makes FPS games a total bitch...), so I cannot say for certain. Sorry.

Really, it seems like a prettier, non-XBL Live needing for multiplayer version of RE5.

8. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

What do you mean? The PC version is a G4WLive title, isn't it?

Anyway, over here the game debut at 40 euros, same as SF4, however unlike that game I didn't read any specific mentions of a 40 $/€ price so AFAIK it may be a local thing (Wolfenstein PC also released here at 40 euros, versus 60 for the console versions).

I'm hoping to pick it up this week even though the PC version is missing split-screen which I would have loved to have. Why do developers speak of a late PC port being the ultimate version if it's missing a gameplay mode? Same problem I had with Gears of War. I'm skipping Borderlands because the PC version doesn't have split screen - hopefully Gearbox Soft will wake up and put split screen in the PC version of Aliens.

9. I.S.T.

Veteran

I'll rephrase: Doesn't need Xbox Live Gold for multiplayer. Make sense now? I get why my earlier words may have been confusing... Sorry for that.

10. Richard

Veteran

Gotcha, thanks.

11. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

My bro told me to wait till it's cheaper. He played it on 360, and we're both RE4 fans, so I'm going with his suggestion I think.

I'm disappointed that it's apparently very short compared to its predecessor.

12. joker454

Veteran

I very recently finished RE5, 360 version. Took me 10 hours to complete on 'amateur'. Personally I loved the game, more so than RE4. It's also very pretty, probably the nicest looking game I've played on console all year, so presumably the PC version will be even better. The controls are bad, but they are always bad on RE games so this wasn't a new revelation to me. But if you are new to the series, be aware the controls do take some getting used to. I set the difficultly to 'amateur' to compensate for the controls. Overall I loved it, and Sheva's alternate outfit was a nice completion bonus :)

13. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

My experience?

Sheeeava

Chrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis

Sheeeeeeeeeeeva

Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis

repeat. :p

14. I.S.T.

Veteran

No way. It's a longer game than RE4.

15. Richard

Veteran

16. I.S.T.

Veteran

it's been confirmed by Sony at least. Dunno if it'll just a PS3 exclusive or not.

This fucking irritates me. I just bought this game four months ago. Four months, and there's already a damn DC version? Plus, it's short of stupid to announce the DC version when the PC version JUST came out. Is Capcom trying to kill the sales of it?

17. L. Scofield

Veteran

It wouldn't be their stupidest move. Anybody remember when they announced the PS2 version of RE4 just a month before it was released on GCN :lol:

18. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Just played it for the first time today. If I say this is the biggest piece of shit I played in a long time would that make anybody angry?

It starts with the menu. Why the fuck cant I find a delete savegame or create new game button? Usually it takes about 3 seconds to find the option because it will be right there with your continue game etc buttons. Not in RE5.

Than you start your game and notice that the MK setup is shit. Its a constant battle between WSAD and your mouse trying to get around. It doesnt work and it feels totally uncomfortable.

So you try your x360 controller and notice that its just as shitty. Main problem, as always is that you can aim everywhere you want but not on a enemy. Even the slightest touch on the stick will send your crosshair just past the enemy's head.

Than there is the level design. After about 45 minutes I got fed up with the game so I quit but the only thing I'd seen so far is small quarters. No problem in itself but given the controlls that wont allow you to have any form of fast reaction and that along with about 30 zombies getting into the room from all sides means that within 5 seconds you'll be surrounded and it turns into a button bashing fest because that is the only thing you can do because of slow as shit control responses. No fun at all.

What makes it even worse is that stupid bitch which runs along you side all the time is nothing but a bother. She only gets in the way all the time, doesnt exactly help killing zombies but does require your constant attention making the already fairly impossible task of killing too much zombies in a too small space with too slow controlls even harder.

Funny how a company manages to go from something I really loved (RE4 wii) to something that is shit. Dont understand how this game managed to get the scores it did.

19. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

I really enjoying the mouse support in RE5. Makes it much more comfortable to play IMO.

20. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

The game was alright. If you like Zombie games ((which I do)) then its a must have. If you have 3D Vision its a definately must have because it has alot of neat 3D Vision only effects.