[PC] RAGE

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by crusher_pt, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

Dead City could be better if you did not have a linear path, but it is jaw droppingly awesome anyway. Got me the most jittery since the insane asylum level on thief 3 :)
    [​IMG]

2. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Shalebridge Cradle, spookiest f'n environment in any electronic game I've ever played.

3. jlippo

Veteran Regular

The reason is that people are telling the game to use 16kx16k texture atlas and not to compress it to any GPU renderable format.
    Cannot wait to get my dirty hands on it and try some tweaks with SSAA and negative mipmap lod.. ;)

4. Davros

Legend

how does this differ from quakewars megatexture

5. jlippo

Veteran Regular

MT in QW was 32k x 32k texture that was only on ground with relaxed UWV map to get decent resolution in steep places.

In Rage MT is used for everything in world and with proper UVW, only objects with standard textures are transparent surfaces and particles.
    Characters and moving objects are most likely in their own MT.
    Maximum size for MT in rage is 128k x 128k.

6. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

That's it. I'm picking this up, today. I've seen enough. I've read there's no SLI compatibility, though. I'm sure a single 580 will be fine.

7. Dooby

Regular

Sod the people whinging about the textures. The pop in around the edges is slightly annoying, but even at 2560x1600 I'm not seeing it that much. The game is awesome. Guns are superb, movement is good. Vehicles could use a bit of work, but decently fun.

For those that don't know (I didn't, really), it's not linear, it's a quest hub based game. So a fair bit is "doing nothing". But the quests are awesome. Much gun play and the variations of guns are decent. Don't know why I ever doubted id tbh.

8. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

BTW I haven't finished dead city, but I just did the boss fight which used the same HL2 mechanic of rocket launchers and ammo spawning that I detest. I am generally not that huge a fan of boss fights and it was a bit of a let down. The art was so great and the rest of the level so nice that I wish they just left the boss out entirely. The suspense would be just as good, and it would be more realistic (hah can that be applied here) if you just avoided a confrontation with him. Having a large wave of mutants attack from some of the cool set pieces would be better IMO.

PS I emailed Kyle since he was using the front page to compare a modded Doom3 shot to a crappy spot in Rage. I thought maybe he wasn't aware the shot was modded and was therefore making the false comparison on the front page on accident instead of on purpose. Anyway he wasn't to interested in reality :) I think he is a person that will stick to his guns in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Ah well.

9. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

AMD/ATI users are you getting random guns and character model flickering (for example the first time you arrive at Wellspring, then Mutant Bash TV etc). Based on what I'm reading (and a friend of mine with a 4870) I'm not the only one experienceing this and its exactly in the same locations as everybody else having this issue.

10. Man from Atlantis

Regular

art design is top notch, one of the bests with witcher 2 and alice:mr in this year.. they could make 3 different games with it..

11. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

He did the same about the Euclideon stuff.

He also conveniently ignores the fact that Doom3 had lots of texture repetition whereas Rage has none. The general beauty and richness of the game is so far beyond everything else, that I don't give a damn about what the resolution on a few object textures up close is.
    But he'd be happier if the entire level would consist of the same three 4K resolution textures pasted on everything, I guess, because that can be a question of measurements instead of taste and appreciation for superb art direction.

12. Scott_Arm

Legend

The perfect idiom for Kyle and many gamers in general: Can't see the forest for the trees.

13. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Those shots from Man from Atlantis in the screenshots thread look incredible, the artwork and design is unparalleled. Pity I'd never be able to play at that detail so I guess this will be another title to pick up for cheap one day when I have a new PC. Considering my C2D and 5770, I think I'd rather experience this games glory in full one day.

14. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I saw it too on my 6950 at the TV station. There's no doubt that my GTX 560 runs the game better overall.

15. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like it's deffinitely an ATI driver issue then. Annoying especially knowing that it will happen again in certain awesome parts of the game according to my friend who finished it :-( .

16. Gitaroo

Veteran

anyone tried this?

seta r_useHBAO "1" //Ambient occlusion

I think this can benefit the indoor environment.

edit, nvm, just found out that it doesn't work, hope nvidia will add that in the control panel eventually.

17. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

It doesn't change anything and frankly it shouldn't given that all the lighting is baked-in (not real time) so it should only applyt to character models and the handfull offlashy items that you can pick up. Nothing to get excited about IMO.

18. Gitaroo

Veteran

I doesn't work at all period. just forget what I posted.

19. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I tried to run the game on my X1950XTX. ;) It doesn't even load up. The classic blue id Software program meltdown window displays various errors and dies due to no support for 'GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex'. The card only supports OpenGL 2.1.

20. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

Game's released time for a new thread!

Folks, since the game is now on shelves, it's better to have a dedicated thread to it. So I went ahead and made a totally fair and balanced thread about non-console version of Rage:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1587592

That whole Personal Computer platform and its multitudes of different configurations are not something easy to handle for a new development house like id, so don't be too harsh with your criticism of the IBM/Compatible Personal Computer version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.