[PC] RAGE

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by crusher_pt, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Sxotty: You should turn on transcoding. That will reduce the amount of pop-in, or rather the amount of time it takes for the game to decompress from HDD storage and recompress into DXT for the graphics card thus "stream" in the correct level of detail.

2. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

I'm not sure it's quite that bad. Not that any PC gamer should ever have to but how does it play at 720p on these cards? And how does the texture pop in really compare to the console versions?

We know it's bad on the PC, but is it a PC issue or an engine issue?

I'd be suprised if my 4890 can't still get much more out of this game than a console so for me the choice is £40 for the game on console or £25 for the game on PC (I won't consider the fact I'd have to buy a console first since my 360 died about a year ago).

3. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

I really hope id could clean out this virtual texturing technique for Doom 4. From what we see in Rage now, it appears that some hybrid method would give better results for both wide open spaces and vistas and the closed corridors with every minute detail polished. But probably Carmack will stick to advancing MegaTexture as universal system, as this method is truly very developer friendly, especially given how easy and fast is multi-platform porting done with its auto-scaling features. Probably in the hands of more passioned designers and artists, the technology will shine in a better light -- id should stick with the engine development mostly.
    Now, when we should expect MegaGeometry? :lol:

4. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

PS3 looks similar to what I see on my GTX 560 with respect to texture loading. The slower gamepad movement prevents you from doing an instant 180 like with a mouse though so it's harder to get the worst case.

With regards to frame rate, the game is not that demanding. I run 2720x1536 with 4X AA (downsampled to 1360x768) and it maintains 60 fps unless the HDD causes stuttering. HDD streaming always causes problems with PC games thanks to Windows AFAIK.

5. TheD

Newcomer

Can someone tell me why it uses so much VRAM?
    Wasn't the big draw card of megatexture is that it only needs a very small amount of VRAM because it only need to load the parts of the textures that you will see into the tile cache?

6. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

When it's working it works well at least! I guess we should wait until AMD get their act together with the drivers before we judge the game too harshly, I'm still picking it up anyway. If anything I'm more curious about how it will perform on my 4890 than the game itself!

7. swaaye

Legend

Probably because the game is so open and there are unique textures everywhere. The pop in surely tells that it could happily use much more VRAM.

8. swaaye

Legend

When I didn't know about the hotfix drivers and was using 11.9, it ran terrible on my 6950. There was image corruption and it was running at about 20fps at 1920x1080.

But the hotfix jumped that to 60 fps. The game's vsync is still strange and so I force it in CCC, and AMD seems to have slower texture loading (maybe related to their lack of transcode). I am going to play it more on the 6950 later. I spent last evening on my TV with the GTX 560.

9. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

I didn't notice a difference (with transcode), but as I said I wasn't paying super close attention, but it definitely wasn't obvious. The worst pop up I have gotten was vegetation at a certain corner when I drive fast thru there for some reason the plants always seem to pop in instead of grow right.

I am still very excited about the tech too, but I wonder if there might be a better trade off yet to be found. If storage was lightning fast, huge, and free this would be the best IMO, but it isn't. Given the reality of the situation I wonder if regular tiling textures could have a MT overlay that was faster to stream, like decals but more detailed. Rage is fun, and looks good to me, but I think a developer could do something even more interesting with MT. I don't know exactly what, but that is rather the point. It should enable other things we haven't seen yet. I can think of reasons it could be useful, but they would probably be to subtle for most gamers anyway so not sell well.

10. TheD

Newcomer

That is not how megatexture works though, the textures are broken up into small tiles and the system only loads the tiles it needs for the frame (and AFAIK some tiles that you have looked at recently) into a texture in VRAM called the tile cache.
    The tile cache in Rage on consoles is a 4096x4096 texture, on PCs it is meant to be 8192x8192, both a huge way off from 1GB in size.

sebbbi has a great post on it http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1580827&postcount=39

11. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21778

Mad props to NVIDIA. These settings should help all users, NV and AMD alike.

My goodness NVIDIA is simply shitting on AMD's face with this.

id is also a complete failure with their auto(de)tune "feature".

12. Scott_Arm

Legend

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought it was explicitly stated that this was a console driven project from the very start. Listening to Carmack's talks it sounds like a considerable amount of time was spent on the pc renderer, and he outlined many of the issues in detail.

13. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Hrmm all Nvidia did wascopy/paste (the even linked to it) the NeoGaf Rage thread. Nothing else. I don't see how this can beseen as Nvidia shitting on AMD here.
    http://www.geforce.com/News/article...-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

All this proves is tha id fucked shit up really badly if NVIDIA (or AMD) has to resort to this kind of damage control stuff. As if the PC was never tested before shipping. Both NVIDIA and AMD seemto have ben caught off guard by the crap that id pulled here.

That being said...the Dead City level is simply amzing in terms of art and scale...

14. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Man, i am enjoying Rage immensely [AMD user, added few tweeks]. Great 1080p visuals, gameplay and art design are so good.

15. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Well I disagree. NVIDIA got the driver out, and hey you don't even have to switch drivers if you want to play the BF3 Beta !

Informing their customers of tweaks that can enhance their experience is a cool thing to do. All we've heard from AMD is "oops we uploaded an ancient driver but now we've got the right one up but if you wanna play the BF3 Beta you should use this other one and at some point we'll get all of this sorted out".

16. swaaye

Legend

Seems to me that AMD could have finally pushed OpenCL if the transcode is actually beneficial. At least they got the driver act together, if only after the curtain went up.

17. Man from Atlantis

Regular

18. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

Swaaye it sounds like transcoding might not do anything on lower end GPUs.

What they sadi

19. Man from Atlantis

Regular

http://www.geforce.com/News/article...-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

updated wow

20. swaaye

Legend

I see 90-100% CPU usage of my Q6600 quad. I guess we have quite the threaded game here, as Sxotty has been showing too.

I tried the NV tweaks on my 6950. They clear up a lot of texture swapping. But, I found that sometimes when I load the game it is very stuttery while other times it is smooth. And during a mission there were problems rendering the gun and enemy models. So I dumped the tweaks. I also had my first game crash, on the 6950, even with no tweaks.

I'd say that id and AMD need to clean some things up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.