[PC] RAGE

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by crusher_pt, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thambos

Newcomer

I wish these developers would mimic Valve instead of IW.

Valve has matchmaking AND dedicated servers, w/ the option of P2P as just a fallback

2. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

Question: Will hardcore gamers really play Rage's MP mode?

3. TheD

Newcomer

But most games with servers need a CD key to play online anyway!

Anyone should know that the same things that would keep someone from playing a pirate copy online with matchmaking (a CD key check from a main server) would work the same for a game with dedicated servers .

4. obonicus

Veteran

That's not true, though. I know that RTCW and Q3A both had 'cracked' servers that skipped the CD-key check. These solutions, IIRC involved cutting the auth server completely out of the equation.

5. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

You know I didn't know RAGE had multiplayer. Well perhaps I might have heared it but not registered it. But with so little talk about multiplier and with DOOMIII MP in memory it pretty much is non-existant to me.

6. slapnutz

Regular

ditto.

7. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Not sure if I really care or not about the lack of dedicated servers... I don't think I was ever really going to play it online, as I'm not a big fan of racing at all and racing meshed together with FPS bits just sounds WEIRD to me. ...Even though I did play an Amiga game that was just like what Rage seems to be, a Mad Max-like type dealie with bits of shooting mutants and bits of car fights. That Amiga game was DAMN!!! hard too by the way. I never made it past the third or so race coz the computer opponent cheated like crazy... :p

So with regards to Rage, it's YABISG (yet another brown id software game) with a weird concept that I'm not sure I like, plus they're placing way too much emphasis on consoles it feels like, it's BROWN, and now there's not going to be dedicated servers. I dunno. I remember seeing a video or two, the gfx looks real smooth. It could be fun, but I think they're deliberately setting themselves up to be disliked or even hated here. PC gamers are even more elitist, fanatical and serious about gaming than console players, and id Software dumbing down their game like this isn't going to be forgiven easily. If ever...

#87 Grall, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2009
  8. bystander

Regular

A bit off topic but was that game Techno Cop?

9. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

No, that can't be right... This was a post-apocalyptic world, houses were partially destroyed, society was in shambles. There were zombie-like mutants and such. You shot people, but it wasn't criminals, that's for sure. ;)

10. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Homework for Grall: in 500 words or less explain how someone can make a game set in the southwestern US after a comet destroyed most of civilization without using predominantly brown in the palette.

11. obonicus

Veteran

Fair enough, and I don't really share Grall's aversion to brown, but it's not like anyone forced id to make a game with that setting and premise.

12. Richard

Veteran

Maybe they're playing to their artists' strengths? :razz:

13. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

He just wants strippers and doomed space marines.

14. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Hell yeah! I waited for AGES for DN4E, and now it looks like I'll never get to play it. :(

I don't really dislike brown games, but it's so typical of id to make another brown game - almost all of them have been earthy in their color palette. Doom3 had a lot of greys and metal, but other than that they're certainly playing to their brown-loving artists' strengths. :)

15. Richard

Veteran

New interview with Tim Willits. There's no new game relevations, the only meat is the mention of PC gamers being able to "fine-tune" the graphics. Oh yes! Amazing feature... o wai.

Stop giving filler interviews and get back to shipping the game this decade Tim.

16. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Now now... that might be a hint of better graphics instead of all versions looking the same. That would be good as I dont see anything 'fun' about having 200+ framerate with ehmmm... disappointing graphics. :razz:

17. Richard

Veteran

Well, we already knew from previous interviews that the PC would have better graphics. What I do hope is that the "fine-tuning" Tim mentions includes shadow buffer size, filtering, etc. If not from the menu, at least from the console. With id "probably" dumping ded-servers, it's not a stretch for them to dump the console as well.

18. I.S.T.

Veteran

That sounds awful console porty to me.

19. DudeMiester

Regular

Of course it does, the whole point was to make an engine that worked seamlessly on all the consoles in order to reduce dev costs. That's necessarily lowest common denominator. The only differences shouldn't have anything to do with core gameplay.

20. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

The interview was kind of pointless IMO. Oh well. I kind of would rather they released rage sooner instead of later, but I guess they want to get it all perfect since it is new IP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.