[PC] RAGE

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by crusher_pt, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suryad

Veteran

I would not say it looks like ass but it definitely does not look a LOT better than some of the....say Source engine games.

2. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

It doesn't look like ass. Unless you can only qualify visuals in a two step scale: it sucks or it's great. Having to run at 60fps also helps.

3. sunscar

Regular

Whose ass are we talking about here?

4. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

Actually I think the game still looks great. Sorry. I just think it could be even better.

I would give up huge amounts of visuals for the ability to have unique textures everywhere instead of the total crappy tiling that most games do.

5. almighty

Banned

Crysis has awesome visuals with crappy tiling...

6. Scott_Arm

Legend

It must be a pretty nice one because I think those shots look good. Sure, you can see some block geometry, but the amount of unique detail in the textures is fantastic. You might be able to nitpick in places, but the overall impression is really good.

I guess I'll have to see how I feel about it when I'm actually playing, and walking up close to things where the low geometry might stand out more.

7. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I barely ever noticed the tiling pattern except in editor shaving all fooliage off.. I do however notice the massive texture detail. Anyway I still find RAGE to be quite OK. The artwork sure is top notch and dont find the polygon amount annoying except fingers..ughhhh

However I hope it can be tweaked as 1680x1050 and 8xAA will sure leave me way beyond 100fps. 60fps will be OK for me and for that I need some massive detail boost by tweaking (excluding textures).

EDIT: Premium edition for PC, make it happen Carmack.

#67 Neb, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009
  8. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

They're the default weapons? :D You could poke someone's eye out with those >:O

9. Richard

Veteran

For someone that spends so much time looking at Crysis that must be a blessing. :twisted: First time I played the game, first mission, getting out of the water BAM! repeating sand texture immediately noticeable to me. Walk 20 feet, BAM!, repeating cliff face texture.

The low-poly rocks bother me a lot more. Especially when compared to Crysis' or even <shudder> Fallout 3's. Obviously the unique texturing they have does give them a new look but their silhouettes, oh gawd, their silhouettes burn my eyes! Fingers will be animated or their silhouette hidden by the rest of the body - I don't think they're a big deal.

I'm getting more and more aprehensive about this. These shots are clearly from the PC version and yet the shadowing is so... simplistic.

+1 Otherwise, if MT can't show its main advantage ("infinite" texture detail with "no" performance impact) why are we suffering through baked lighting and low-poly props then? :|

10. suryad

Veteran

Hear hear! Nebbie is spot on!

11. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

Elsewhere I was commenting on the texture quality disparity. I think it is partially yet another console helpful addition. At least in some cases and I think we will end up stuck with it.

For example the road textures. They are not that great. I think it is because if you are driving a buggy quickly down the road there is only so much bandwidth to stream from a DVD/BR disc. I am not sure how they compare to one another, but I am pretty sure they will be slower than my hdd. The point is certain game features you are liable to go by at high speed will probably have worse textures to make up for it. I mean otherwise there is no reason the road texture could not be freakin awesome. You could use a repeating super detailed texture then edit it all over to add features (much like decals and layers elsewhere). But at the end of course it would just be the one texture loading (no decals etc needed)...

Anyway looking at those rocks I agree we need megatexture+megageometry :). I don't mind it so much, there are plenty of rocks in the real world that are approximately low poly, unfortunately sandstone is way less likely to appear that way and it seems that they are in sandstone desert land.

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I'm not sure with megatexture... Actually ignore that part.

With unique textures in use everywhere, I'm not sure how you could have super high res textures without the install ballooning to say 100-200 gigs. Which would be what? 2-4 dual layer BluRay discs?

Although I think Carmack did mention just a high res version might be doable with a 60 gig install. I think that version would still have texture detail below that of Crysis however.

Either way, I can forgive quite a bit if the geometry and textures used are unique without being able to see any repeats within a scene. That and if proper extremely long view distances is enabled.

I'm going to guess they purposely also picked a desert landscape so as not to have to worry about too much vegetation.

Regards,
    SB

13. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Don't count on it. There are videos that briefly show the car combat and it looks kinda like Halo or something.

14. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Damn, I miss driving alongside another vehicle after I've damaged it a bit and pulling out a pistol and shooting the other driver in the face. :) And kitting your car out with all kinds of weapons, gadgets, armor, tires and doodads.

Regards,
    SB

15. Richard

Veteran

?? Halo's vehicle combat doesn't look like anything that was shown Rage-wise. You can't drive & gun with Halo's most similar vehicle to Rage's, the Warthog. In Halo you can't upgrade your vehicle, either weaponry, armour or visuals. Halo's maps are also much more linear and "claustrophobic" (when it comes to vehicle combat) than the shown Rage maps.

16. Richard

Veteran

And id takes the wrong lead from IW and is also not planning to have dedicated servers in Rage. What they should be copying from IW is shipping a game without taking 6 bloody years to do it.

17. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Love turns to hate! /jk :razz:

18. TheD

Newcomer

What the hell goes through some dev's minds?

It will only hurt sales!

19. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I wouldn't mind if they defaulted to peer to peer servers with match making like xbox live.

But at least have an advanced option for the hardcore gamers you you have to enable.

20. obonicus

Veteran

If I were to guess, I'd say it's because of what they see as damage from piracy (which regardless of the truth is how they perceive things). Matchmaking means every single MP game has to auth with the matchmaking server or you don't get a game at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.