[PC] RAGE

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by crusher_pt, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Looks good, I love how artifact free the game looks.
    Well, outside the negative lodbias which I hope to have some control over.

2. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

The most exciting part was the 30 second BF3 ad that played at the beginning :grin:

3. slapnutz

Regular

I actually liked the Dead City trailer.

Gave a nice impression on loneliness, destitiution and a sense of exploration.

(you have to understand I'm comparing this to my previous ID game experiences and not something like Stalker or Fallout.) :)

4. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

There is new info about no deathmatch (car combat instead) and co-op etc.

I agree with you slap, that is what I was talking about when they started driving up, it (IMO) nailed the destitute empty feeling. Unfortunately it makes me want to explore every nook and cranny b/c it does such a good job, and I doubt we will be able to. Other games don't make me want to explore as much anymore. I personally did not even finish stalker. It got boring. There is a sense in games that are too cluttered that I don't really care as much about. I explored morrowind more than oblivion by far. Too much of Oblivion looked the same with their special forest tech (that laid out the forests for them).

5. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I thought STALKER was much more interesting than Morrowind. ;) Morrowind has a mysterious expansive world, but I've found that a lot of that was 1) first experience with such a game with nice graphics [Daggerfall = lol by comparison] 2) the poor viewing distance and fog. I didn't like the combat at all. I much prefer the FPS style gaming of STALKER and the '80s apocalypse setting too.

Rage is looking like a more interesting Fallout 3-like game to me. Less RPG stuff that I don't really need, more pretty, and more realistic in appearance. That city looks amazing. Fallout 3 failed to create a really convincing city setting. But yea I do wonder about how open it will be.

I would kill for somebody to take a shot at a new Terminator open world game like Betheda's old DOS games. I can't help but think of Terminator Salvation and Future Shock when I see that city video.

6. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

There was no fog in morrowind though :) fps_optimizer don't you remember that? You could see for ages. It definitely makes it feel more worthwhile to explore when you see something way off in the distance that looks cool. That is why to me the drive up was awesome. I mean that city from far away practically screams, "hey come check this out"

7. swaaye

Legend

;) ;) ;)

Yup I used FPS Optimizer. But it still only gets you so much view. Morrowind doesn't have the distant landscape LOD of Oblivion. There's a mod that adds it but I couldn't get it working when I tried it years ago.

Morrowind Graphics Extender. Very cool if you can make it work and not crash constantly.
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19590&view=next
    [​IMG]

8. spacemonkey

Newcomer

9. slapnutz

Regular

After checking out it (and I'm still looking forward to it), I had a question about megatexture.

As far as the "end user result", it the main advantage of MT tech to minimise texture tiling or repetitive textures?

Only asking because there were some(few) low res textures appearing (which is to be expected), so it wasnt a miracle cure of that issue?

10. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

It does solve texture repeating but that is not related to the other issue. Texture resolution is a question of the size of the background storage (DVDs) and the scale of the world.

They could have shipped on 4-6 discs, or they could have made a much smaller world, but this is their compromise in the end. Maybe on next gen systems they can double texel density, or maybe even in Doom4 we'll see a tighter, more detailed world using the same number of DVDs to show how far this tech can go.

I personally like the end result.

11. idsn6

Regular

12. slapnutz

Regular

Yeah thats what I pretty much expected. Sorry, yeah I already knew that tiling and texture res are different issues.:smile:

Speaking of space, would disc space be the main reason for lower res textures or console memory constraints?

Also couldnt they make xbox hdd install mandatory and compress the crap out of the relevant data on the DVD disc and thus behave more like a pc install to hdd? Sure might not bring it from 2 dvds to 1 ... but maybe 3 dvds(as originally planned) down to 2?

13. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Disc space, the method doesn't really use any more memory when you are really really close to some object.
    Even if the object would have something like 65kx65k texture

This is due to the fact that there is only so many texels you can fit in 720p screen and how virtual texturing works to take advantage of the fact.
    I'm pretty sure they compress everything on x360 already and virtual textures demand very high compression to work with such scale. (there are at least two 128kx128k textures with color, normal and specular information and several smaller ones.)

14. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

wonder hwo happy ID is about the extra gig of space on the 360 discs. They should be able to take advantage of it

15. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

There was an interview somewhere and yes they said they are happy to get it.

16. swaaye

Legend

Too bad those external HD DVD drives for 360 didn't take off huh? ;)

17. woundingchaney

Regular

Its a good thing they didnt.:cool:

18. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

its a shame actually since hd-dvds load up faster than 90% of the blurays i've ever used

19. jlippo

Veteran Regular

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20902
    So mod tools with release, I simply cannot wait to see what they will do.. perhaps new Alien mod.

I wonder how long the pre-processing of maps takes, should be fine CPU bechmark.

20. swaaye

Legend

I have one of the older HDDVD/BD/DVD/CD drives but I've only used HDDVDs once. Can't remember how HDDVDs are but BDs do take their time.

The 360 drive was interesting to me because the DVDROM is super noisy and I'm guessing that a HDDVD drive is quieter like BDROMs. My 6X PC drive is inaudible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.