[PC] RAGE

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by crusher_pt, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

It's id, so you'd have to be hoping for a departure from the norm. I hope they've given up on that tired old mechanic, but I'll wait to see if that's the case, because based on most of their single player games, id are a one-trick pony in that regard.

Rage looks great, particularly with the character animation, but I hope they've upgraded the gameplay from 1988 as well.

2. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Often it is just those games have basic optimisations tapping little of the PC perfomance/HW features and relying more on a brute force approach. But not to forget many platform games have settings that scales much higher than console versions and that affects perfomance for both GPU and CPU. Otherwise an E6600 is way more than enough to run any multiplatform at very high framerates and I dont see RAGE being an exception. If anything I would think it is better optimised than the average multiplatform game and if it has no visual/tech improvements for PC version then an E6600 will be very much overkill.

3. spacemonkey

Newcomer

4. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Why the extra three days for europe? And what's taking them so damn long that they need another 13 1/2 months to finish? Shit, how many years haven't they been working already?

5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Wow, another year from now? I guess it doesn't really matter as it's not focused on current PC tech and there won't be any new consoles out so it's not as if their tech will be obsolete.

6. Davros

Legend

id Software's Todd Hollenshead confirmed that they will not be licensing out the Tech 5 engine being used for RAGE to third parties:
    "It's going to be used within ZeniMax, so we're not going to license it to external parties," Hollenshead told Eurogamer at QuakeCon 2010 in Dallas today.

"It's like, look, this is a competitive advantage and we want to keep it within games we publish - not necessarily exclusively to id or id titles, but if you're going to make a game with id Tech 5 then it needs to be published by Bethesda, which I think is a fair thing."

Hollenshead said he could imagine the technology being used by third-party developers, but only if their games were published by Bethesda, under which circumstances id would withhold nothing.

Maybe id tech 5 will never be open sourced ?

7. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

this game is going to run great on AMD Fusion CPUs and decently on many laptops by then.

8. woundingchaney

Regular

Given the cost of development R&D and if the technology showcases developmental and end result advantages over the competitions offerings, I cant see it being offered as an open source opportunity in the near future.

My primary problem with Rage in general is that we are hearing so much about the tech and the game itself only to see the title repeatedly pushed back. At this point I have little to no interest in it at all, where as I am eagerly awaiting other titles that are over a year away.

9. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

This sounds like "No one wants our id tech5".

10. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I don't understand why they think it's "fair" that people who pay to use their tech MUST publish under their brand. That'd be like Ford demanding when you buy their cars that you only buy Ford gas for it (if there actually was such a thing.) What a rip-off...

11. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It could be that the engine is free and costs are recouped through whatever publishing deal must be signed or that the engine costs are lower than they would have been otherwise. The following quote plays into that...

It shouldn't come as a surprise that Zenimax would leverage this in hopes of expanding their library of published software.

I'd imagine Unreal Engine would face something similar if Epic can't remain independant.

Regards,
    SB

12. spacemonkey

Newcomer

13. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Why wouldn't they?

They have money like grass. UE3 has been licensed out HOW many titles again...? Some of them extremely successful.

Anyway, demanding publishing rights in return for an engine license will just severely limit their customer base, as most devs will already have a publisher lined up for them and 99 times out of 100 that will NOT be zenimax...

14. Silent_Buddha

Legend

At one time it was also unthinkable that ID would not remain independant as they also were overflowing with money from engine licensing.

Anything can happen. Right now things are going quite well for Epic. They've managed to fend off other companies trying to push game engines, but will that last forever? Noone can predict how it will be for them 5 years from now.

Regards,
    SB

15. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

my take is that ID is not interested in engine licensing, it's not like the early days where you just bought quake and have a fast, stable, good-looking engine, have quake C with that and here's a good starting base for a relatively quick project.

nowadays it's not that special anymore you have so many more gobs of renderers, middleware, tools from the console vendors, Unreal and Source engines etc. and the nerve of the battle is about long artwork, content, etc. development, if possible seemingly industry-standard in some way.
    Whereas id and especially Carmack want to cook their little own thing, vastly paid for by huge game sales anyway, as already evidenced by Doom 3.

my two cents as an armchair analyst.

16. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I think the licencing market has changed greatly. It used to be the case that a company like ID or Epic made and engine for themselves, and licensed it out to others. Now it's a whole new business, with support, development, tools, middleware, multiple target hardware and markets.

Epic went after that in a big way. They decided to become an engine company, not just something they sold on after their own requirements were met. ID always gave the impression that they weren't interested in doing that. I can't see Carmack is going to be answering the phone and debugging someone else's engine tweaks.

Even now, ID says that engine tech is going to be kept in-house for the publishing projects of their new owner, so it doesn't look like all those Zenimax resources and expansion is going to include setting up an ID-tech licensing business, to take back some of that space from Epic.

17. Silent_Buddha

Legend

No, I'm not expecting ID engines to take away from Unreal Engine marketshare in the future after this announcement about Zenimax wanting to keep ID's engine for in house or Bethesda published titles only.

But they've only been a minor player in that business for a while now. What's interesting is that game engines that most people have never heard about (can't remember the names of any at the moment) currently form larger competition for UE3 than the ones everyone knows about (Crytek, Source, etc...). Although Crytek might have a chance of gaining some business if they really do make a performant multiplatform engine that has robust and easy to use developement tools similar to UE3's package.

Regards,
    SB

18. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

*Nods*, it's also interesting reading Todd Howard's comments on how they are not using id Tech 5 in house because it does not allow big or dynamic enough environments for their games. This latest "we'll keep it as a strategic resource of ZeniMax" line may just be the only honourable outcome for a mistep in the technology.

We already knew id Tech 5 couldn't power an Oblivion game because of the MT size vis-a-vis XBOX, but the engine not being flexible enough to allow for more dynamic environments is unexpected. I'm now wondering what kind of dynamic shadows will the next DOOM have, or if it'll have the same dim shadows as Rage. :|

19. Secessionist

Banned

Didn't have time to read the whole thread, but I have a quick question. Is the PC version going to have a GL rendering path or just a DX9 one? I thought maybe they'd include both since it's going to be on the mac.

20. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

The most recent word is that the Windows version will use OpenGL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.