[PC] RAGE

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by crusher_pt, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sxotty

Veteran

The problem was you had to read the crew logs.

You were able to ignore the story for the most part. Apparently folks like stories crammed down their throat so they don't have to go out of their way to actually discover the story :)

Alternatively they could make it so there was a reason to discover the story (like the weapons lockers codes, but more sophisticated).

2. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I liked Doom3's story, to me it was quite memorable and lent a lot of atmosphere. Especially the audio logs.

However, it was still a one-man struggle against all of the hordes of hell kind of game. If they make yet another Doom, IMO they should take the opportunity to refresh the franchise with a more story-driven game, and not just a lot of shooting and adrenaline-inducing moments.

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I'd actually prefer Doom I and II's take on one man versus the hordes of hell versus Doom III's one man against the occasional monster and somewhat inept storytelling.

Regards,
    SB

4. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

So go play Serious Sam then, or Painkiller... :razz:

5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I have, and liked them both. :D Although Serious Sam was a bit on the silly side for me. The gameplay was top notch though.

Also looks like the new game from People Can Fly might be an interesting shooter, hope it's coming to PC also.

Regards,
    SB

6. Dave Glue

Regular

It is.

7. Sxotty

Veteran

Painkiller was very cool, but the sequels/addons were less so. I don't really know why though. Maybe by that point the uniqueness was less so or something.

8. Svensk Viking

Regular

I like them both, won't really be disappointed if they take one approach over the other...

But I guess having fewer enemies and such, like DOOM 3, would make it easier pushing eye candy?:grin::grin::grin:

9. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I'm totally looking forwards to that. Too bad it seems it's scheduled to come out in 2011 at the earliest from what I read. Of course, by then perhaps I've been able to upgrade my graphics to dx11... :)

Anyway, there's some maps where there's bunches of enemies attacking at once, or at least in rapid succession. Fusion reactor, the chemical plant, delta labs, hell... All of those are pretty intense really.

Speaking of Doom3, I once had a simple mod file I made myself from instructions found somewhere on the web that created lightsources for plasma rounds and rockets as they travelled. Can't remember anymore what line to add to the config files to make that effect. :( It looked pwn, but on the graphics board I had at the time (geforce 6800) it was too much of a drag on performance so I changed it back again and now I can't find the relevant info anymore...

10. Sxotty

Veteran

Agh I have been looking for that sporadically for ages. I always wanted to replay it with better hardware and that change. So if you remember how to do it let me know :)

11. Davros

Legend

12. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Actually I got the info on how to do it from a thread here on B3D, but it seems the post archive doesn't stretch back to 2003 anymore... :(

13. anaqer

Veteran

Open base\pak000.pk4\def\weapon_*.def and look up the lines which go like this:

Code:
    //    "mtr_light_shader"            "[B]textures/particles/plasmalight[/B]"
    //    "light_color"                "0 0 0.8"
    //    "light_radius"                "160"
    //    "light_offset"                "-8 0 0"

//    "mtr_explode_light_shader"    "muzzleflash"
    //    "explode_light_color"        "0 0 1"
    //    "explode_light_radius"        "160"
    //    "explode_light_fadetime"    "0.25"

You need to uncomment them and edit as appropriate, then save the new files into something like pak999.pk4 (preserving directory structure, obviously).

14. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Oh, that worked like a charm, Anaqer! Thanks a million! Or, it works great for the plasma rifle at least! :) Can you maybe rustle up the fix to make rockets glow too? I know I had 'em working once upon a time, it would be so sweet...

The plasma balls make a really wonderful blue glow now. Performance still drags a bit with this active, even with 2x 4890s. I guess I could reduce the AA a bit, it's not as if I'm likely to notice many edge jaggies anyway. Most of the aliasing in Doom 3 is texture aliasing, from the bumpmaps.

Steam had to screw me over by not inserting the correct CD keys upon installation, forcing me to pull out my physical game cases to type in the keys manually...bah! I'll back up the key config files this time though and see if it works just copying 'em back next time I install the game.

Also found a fix to the irritating resolution problem with Doom3 not supporting widescreen res from within the game, on Valve's Doom forum. Basically you just make an autoexec.cfg and insert a couple lines from the post in it and presto... It works. Of course, Carmack has to squish all the open windows on my desktop simply to show he can, irritates me to no end.

Now, if I could just get surround audio working also, it doesn't want to detect surround speakers on my current rig. It worked fine under winvista I remember...or perhaps that's because I have a creative sound board in that PC, I'm not sure. It was a very long time since I played the game seriously (it's so creepy, and I'm easily startled...)

15. anaqer

Veteran

You're welcome. BTW, what I used to do to get the performance hit down to more acceptable levels was decreasing the gun's rate of fire in\scripts\weapon_plasmagun.script (and upping the damage a bit in the def file to make up for the change).

As for the rocket, this is what the relevant portion of my \def\weapon_rocketlauncher.def looked like:
    Code:
        "mtr_light_shader"            "lights/impflash"
        "light_color"                "1 0.75 0.25"
        "light_radius"                "256"
        "light_offset"                "0 0 0"

"mtr_explode_light_shader"    "lights/impflash"
        "explode_light_color"        "2 1 0.5"
        "explode_light_radius"        "1024"
        "explode_light_fadetime"    "0.5"

If you wanted to go crazy, you could theoretically assign light sources to machinegun bullets, or make the plasma gun fire a billion rounds like the BFG prototyle in Doom did, etc. D3 really was something else when it came to plaintext moddability...

16. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Heh, turn down the firing rate of the plasma gun? No wai! I want a weapon that fires on every game tick like the original Doom plasma gun did! 25 bolts/sec, yeah bayyybeee! :D

Thanks a lot for the rokkit launcher fix, I'll fuse it into my pak file in a bit... I did some simple modding myself some years ago, for example the chaingun now fires like 80 rounds a second, gibs pretty much anything reeeally quick lol. Of course, I upped the ammo count too, or you'd run out of bullets in no-time. FINALLY a chaingun that feels like it's actually packing a wallop! I've been hoping for a game with a gun like Old Painless for a decade and a half, so in the end I had to make it myself, hehe.

I didn't know how to fix the useless shotgun btw, so I just made it barf a lot more pellets. Now it usually (USUALLY) actually kills an imp with one round on distances less than 10 meters. Of course, that means it's ridiculously overpowered close up...

Still don't understand what the hell is up with that crazy spread though; it's not even physically possible with a barrel that long. If it was sawed-off to like 5cm length, then I wouldn't be surprised by a roughly 90 degree spread, but this weapon's pretty major overall...

I had fun with the shotgun in HL2 also, making it shoot 75 pellets per shell caused human enemies to fly upwards of 10 meters before stopping when struck! Lol. Really satisfying! :D

17. Sxotty

Veteran

I ended up just editing the one sin the base folder. The light from the flying plasma doesn't seem as bright. I changed the settings way up to like radius 1000 and the color to 0.1 0.1 0.9 for flying balls. I looks nice. Thanks anaqer.

18. DudeMiester

Regular

I remember fiddling with that mod, back in the Doom3World.org days. Never though I'd see it again, lol.

Wow, the threads are still there: http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=30166#p30166

#218 DudeMiester, May 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2010
  19. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I think you guys should resurrect one of the old Doom3 threads. :D

20. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.