PC not recognizing mouse and KB

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
I have run into this problem after trying to make my PS3 controller compatible with my PC.

I am currently writing this using the Ubuntu boot disk.

Some of you may be familiar with the installation of the drivers that make the SIXAXIS work with WIndows.

I have Vista btw. I installed everything and followed the steps normally. I then found extra steps in case the controller didnt work. It suggested that I copy a file into the System32 directory so I did. WIth the difference that I also copied another file that was downloaded together with this one.

The file was libusb0.dll which I copied and replaced the existing one with. I also opened the Run command, wrote CMD and wrote another command.

Still didnt work, so I restarted my PC hoping that next time, it would work. Well I resterted it and now any KB and mouse are not working at all in Vista.

What should I do?

I dunno. My USB mouse & keyboard mysteriously quit on my Vista rig a few months back and I couldn't figure out why to save my life. Ended up just hooking them up through a few of them green PS2/USB adapters.

Can you delve into that directory from Ubuntu and replace the file?
Does Vista have a repair option like XP?

There looks like bugs on the USB in Vista. I have run into it and many others have to just google it. The other problem is that mobo chipset makers are very slow in putting out Vista USB controller drivers too.

I run the repair option but doesnt seem to make any difference. In the repair menu the mouse and keyboard work.

But not when I am in Vista.

It seems that the problem is the USB. My PC doesnt recognize the USB ports when I am in Vista. God damn it!

I dont know what to do.

I think it should be the "libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.10.1.exe" file I installed that did the problem. I uninstalled it but the problem is still there

i would try removing the usb controller from device manager
reboot
then install your mboard drivers

I dont know how to do it without a mouse. I managed to use a traditional keyboard but I dont have a PS/2 mouse.

How do I do that with just a keyboard? I manage to open the device manager so far but with no mouse I can not click on the devices I want to remove.

I ve noticed that there are tons of things in my device manager that appear with a question mark now! Damn!

Vista cant even go online

I dont know how to do it without a mouse. I managed to use a traditional keyboard but I dont have a PS/2 mouse.

How do I do that with just a keyboard? I manage to open the device manager so far but with no mouse I can not click on the devices I want to remove.

I ve noticed that there are tons of things in my device manager that appear with a question mark now! Damn!

Vista cant even go online

Press Alt to move through the menu, Tab to skip to the next column/page, and Enter to select/activate. Navigate with Left, Right, Up, Down, Home, etc. Sometimes menu items can be directly picked by pressing letters. Tons of shortcuts. Also, the dreaded Windows keys come in handy for once.

Once you get used to it (which may take a while) it's actually quite 'fun'

I tried that. It seems I can access the menu items above, but not the list in the device manager.

I tried that. It seems I can access the menu items above, but not the list in the device manager.

That's odd, you should be able to open up Computer Management and Hit tab then go down with your down arrow to Device Manager, tab over again and go to the specific category, hit the left arrow to open the tree.

I dont know what the hell is going on with this stupid VISTA.

I installed Ubuntu to be able to access my HDD so I could delete a file I suspected that caused the problem.

Despite that I logged in with the right password and username it didnt let me. So I restart my computer to try to do ith through Vista. I used my KB, deleted the file, restarted my PC in Vista, no luck.

I enter again Ubuntu, tried to find a solution. Nothing, Tried the Windows recovery manager. Nothing.

So I then decided to give up and atleast make Vista my default OS since after installing Ubuntu the default OS changed.

I found a tutorial on how to do it. I had to change a number in a GRUB file. I wasnt permitted to do the change because I wasnt the owner. How on earth I am not the owner since I entered the correct password and username?

I was starting to get pissed. A lot. I tried to reinstall Ubuntu on the external HDD I had it installed earlier hoping it will let me. Now Ubuntu doesnt work. It says something about a "Kernel Panic" error. Ahm....yeah! Everything seems to be going to the wrong direction. I restart my PC and enter Vista to try again access my Device Manager. Well......Now the USB ports WORK!!

WTF?? But now I dont know how to uninstall and format my external HDD and set Windows as the default OS

Jesus!!!

You might want to buy a USB to PS2 adapter or a cheap PS2 mouse for $5. This is why I keep 2 to 3 PS2 mice around. If you can you might try to delete/uninstall the USB controler and USB hubs and let Windows reinstall the drivers.

Now they work and I dont understand how.

I have a different problem now. How on earth can I set my Windows as the default OS and uninstall Ubuntu??

Just use the windows disk to repair the install - Windows loves to rewrite (aka reclaim) Master Boot Records. Either that or just use grubed (google it) to change grub to boot to Vista immediately.

Uh..strike that...if you repair, Windows won't take back the ubuntu partition (assuming you want it).

I am formating the external HDD with Ubuntu since it is fucked up. I have no idea what I should do next. I dont have a Windows disk. My computer automatically installed Windows when I first switched it on. But no disk was in the package.

you use the tab key to move about without a mouse

ps: nesh no offence mate but you strike me as the kind of person that knows just enough about computers to be dangerous :D

Back