[PC] Need For Speed: Shift

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by trinibwoy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend Alpha

Seems to be getting good reviews. And the PC demo is out before the consoles get one. I know, it's a miracle :) Gonna check it out now.

2. Davros

Legend

Has drift events :(

3. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Screenshots Dave.

4. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

ATI users are making riots at EA SHIFT official forums. They are reporting tons of slowdowns, black screens at booting, hovering cars. :no:

5. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend Alpha

I never understood how drivers can make a game play so differently. Performance yeah, but hovering cars??? No problems here, maxed out 2560x1600 8xAA (in-game), 16xAF on a single GTX 285. Consoles ftw!!

6. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Really? Weird, I've had no trouble with it at all. :???:

7. Davros

Legend

could be the wheels arnt being rendered

8. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend Alpha

Oh true. Just found the thread, they're blaming it on Nvidia and PhysX. Hahaha, geez.....

9. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

There seems to be Nvidia problems too - looks like they may be blaming Win64 in particular, but EA being craptastic in general.

10. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Windows 7 64 bit, no troubles what so ever. :???:

Weird.

11. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Does Nvidia users get HW PhysX?

12. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Is that a console setting that carried over to the PC version?

13. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend Alpha

No idea. I haven't seen any official info on whether it uses PhysX or not. But it's doubtful there's any hardware acceleration there, that's used for cloth and particle effects of which there aren't any in NFS. Nvidia users are complaining too but it seems less troublesome.

People are also complaining about the control and sensitivity settings. I tried some recommend changes but now my steering isn't responsive at all. I don't have time to fiddle with it either so will just use the universally criticized defaults for now.

14. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Really really good looking.. but only with tweaked gamma and contrast settings. I take back my comment about my GRID version looking better (well not in all ways). Most impressive looking game with 8xAA, TSAA, AF and all that fluff and details. although as said I cant understand why devs cant integrate a gamma, contrast slider into their games instead of just brightness slider, stupid IMO. Without gamma and contrast tweak it just looks to bright and washed out making it look far worse.

Also that marketing shit with the long video after each race is iritating however it is easily fixed by just replacing all videos with smallest video file (EA/Shift logo 15MB).

Also I've seen there is in the works an unpacker/repacker for Shift. Cant wait to dig my hands into it's file and tweak it and also remove the mofo sun flare.

EDIT: I play in windowed mode to get CCC color settings to stick (gamma, contrast etc).

15. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

Nebula, just remove the videos you don't like. Install Radgametools to view the bink files and then remove the ones you don't like.

16. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Ive played it few hours yesterday, and I'm impressed. Even with the keyboard controls [witch were pain to set up properly].

Here is my replay, with little custom camera work.

17. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

The more I play the more I get impressed. Technically this must be the tour de force of all car games I've seen by far and it is coupled with good realism. I mean I was jsut driving slowly checking out graphic and noticed how otehr cars reflect on my car in very high detail. That together with highres reflections that got AA so the reflections looks completly jaggy free (8xAA in options, dunno if this affects reflections).

Going to pick this up these days at the store.

Shit this modded will be a pearl beyond wet dreams and I got massive spare processing power on my system to do that and still keep high fps and res!

18. ECH

ECH
    Regular

There is a huge complaint over at EA technical forum that the inclusion of physx for low level calculations for collision is causing Radeon users (as well as some nvidia users) un-explained lag, stutter and slow ups. It took about 7 pages but EA's Admin EA_Panoptico has taken note of their complaints and hopefully a patch will be issued.

19. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

^ at least now we know source of framedrops. I notice them sometimes.

20. ECH

ECH
    Regular

That is the information he's looking for if anyone is interested in posting over there.