[PC] Modern Warfare 2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by fellix, May 12, 2009.

1. flynn

Regular

As long as everyone uses the same settings whatever floats their boat. Otherwise I would consider that cheating if you can spot the enemy faster because you disabled all the eye candy.

2. suryad

Veteran

And that is one of the reasons why I dont multiplay. I still dont understand how people can play Counter Strike as an example. Best MP experience is Battlefield 1942 with Desert Combat mod in the El Alamein map. Hours and hours and hours of endless fun.

3. nightshade

nightshade Interwebz Hijacker !
    Veteran

And that is exactly one of the few reasons why Pro-Mod disables most of the graphics. Cause even on maximum settings Pro Mod excludes any fancy effects apart from DOF,Soft Smokes & Specular Mapping...so all the differences basically boils down to just texture quality,Resolution & AA among the machines that players are using.

4. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

It confuses me a bit though why your so serious enough about competing as to want to graphically gimp the game and play at a 100+fps etc... but then choose to play on a console at 30 - 60fps with a control pad. Doesn't that defeat the purpose a bit of being one of the "elite" players?

5. nightshade

Veteran

Well on PC...you know if you dont do it you will not be able to play well. Its the same story everytime, if you dont do it then its only your loss since someone on the other team is already doing it. On consoles you dont have a second option & hence everyone is on a level ground.

And believe me it really matters when playing in championships...you really dont want to have your team lose the match & be thrown out of the tournament simply cause you decided to man up & didnt wanted to downgrade the visuals while the other team decided to be a wuss and gimped the visuals. Its all fair in that level of competition. :)

6. MfA

MfA
    Legend

The effect is kind of trivial compared to hosting advantage.

7. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

IMO it's basically cheating. When the game is designed to have heavy or rich visuals like trees or smoke, and those are removed, they can fundamentally change the gameplay and advantage. Say you throw a smoke grenade to cover your advance, but the other players have hacked drivers not to render smoke, thus leaving you easily seen instead of under cover as you and the game intended. You might as well be playing against wallhacks and aimbots.

8. nightshade

Veteran

It indeed is cheating...but thats how most of the PC gaming crowd is as far as MP is concerned [no offence].Most tend to think that when everyone is cheating it doesnt matters if they cheat as well :)

Btw You cannot do the hack to not render the smoke. As I said before Pro Mod brings everything to even grounds & tries to make the competition fair as the difference between a guy at the lowest setting & the one at highest setting is marginal.

9. suryad

Veteran

Simple solution have a separate set of options for when people go into MP mode. You cannot change any graphical settings. That does not sound to a layman like me as something hard to implement.

10. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

I rather be killed 1000 times than downgrade any GFX setting:!:
    I wear camouflage suit not to win some pretty pants competition but to use it as advantage in game! With those tweaks everything becomes pointless! Let's get back to Q2 or Q3 instead, why spend time designing new engines and putting many hours into pretty textures?

11. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

I half way agree with this, but at the same time loathe the idea considering the graphics are part of the immersion. I have noticed that Crysis Wars seems to employ a more streamlined default LOD system than Crysis itself probably for such purpose as to increase performance since it's so crucial in MP.

I think the most prudent option would be to give consumers a higher "required" settings for MP or just keep things the way they've always been, though the Nvidia Ambient Occlusion debacle comes to mind with CoD4. I guess that's the kind of case where you don't have special graphics settings for a particular brand of graphics card (I'm looking at you Batman:AA :twisted:)

12. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yeah, Crysis Wars lets you change everything except object and shadow detail. Seems a pretty good compromise.

13. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

14. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Stock market likes it (oops, got the percentage entirely wrong .... only a small 3% jump).

15. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Wow, didn't realize Kotick had such utter contempt for his customers and employees. Fascinating stuff.

16. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

Activision should pamper IW. Their record of making hit games is basically unbroken and they should have basically carte blanche to innovate.