[PC] Modern Warfare 2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by fellix, May 12, 2009.

1. Rotmm

Regular

So why did Activision leak it then?

Ah yes, no publicity is bad publicity :D

2. dskneo

Regular

but is it in the game? if it is I won't see the video...

3. MfA

MfA
    Legend

The controversy does seem awfully manufactured doesn't it.

4. thambos

Newcomer

Modern Warfare 2 PC Multiplayer Capped At 9v9 ( P2P hosted )

http://kotaku.com/5397149/modern-warfare-2-pc-multiplayer-capped-at-9v9
    http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming...are-2-Live-Chat-Session-Transcript/td-p/67692

I really don't like that they're sidestepping questions.

ex. notice they completely ignore the main issue of his question, upload ( the bottleneck in P2P hosted gaming )

And this makes it obvious it's a port. The PC version doesn't even have leaning anymore.
    edit: another issue i noticed nobody mentioned in the Q&A is that most lag occurs in the last mile between ISP & user; and P2P should effectively double that lag. Which seems like it would negatively impact hit accuracy.

#84 thambos, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2009
  5. slapnutz

Regular

Hahaha, woooot, Mouse support boys!... yeah us PC users rock!:roll:

Btw... they've been censoring the chat.. obviously..
    [​IMG]

Also, no lean in MP?... what about SP? :shock:

Lastly, the sad fact is, I believe IW can afford to complete ignore ALL PC sales due to the money they'll make of console sales.:cry: Its already getting record pre-order numbers, l'd love to know the breakdown numbers between the three plaforms.

6. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

It probably isn't a port--it is most likely co-developed with the least common denominator in mind from a technical standpoint and a unified feature-set with very minor deviations that are platform specific (e.g. most PC gamers use mice and have a KB of text chat as voice chat is shockingly less common on the PC).

Basically the PC isn't getting too many PC-specific features or flourishes and isn't the lead platform in terms of design choices. But that doesn't make it a "port" and using that terminology will get a "negative" response. Oddly a lot of console games are "ported" from the PC but the game was designed with the consoles as the target platform.

7. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

The PS3 version outsold the PC version which iirc had 15% of sales. That is pretty pathetic considering the state of the PS3 install base in NA in 2007.

8. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

They must make great gains otherwise they wouldn't release it on PC. Also considering how awfully hard it is to reserve a copy of it for PC should speak volumes, well atleast here.

9. slapnutz

Regular

Thus IW Net. No more user mods, you want, you pay for every miniscule DLC.:razz:

Btw, this may be a trival question but IW Net is going to be free and not subcription based right?

10. thambos

Newcomer

Well that's not cool :???:

It sucks that they think so little of the platform which made them who they are. maybe the console sales inflated their egos (& pockets) so much that they're attempting to force PC gamers to move to consoles (or prevent console gamers from becoming PC gamers) by removing all differences.

I didn't mean a literal port in that sense. They've said before the games are all developed simultaionusly. But yes, what you're describing is what i meant. The 360 & PS3 were their main platforms; and the PC's build was likely updated as the 360s build was optimized.

By port i meant that, they didnt change the core game for the PC. It's essentially feature for feature the same as console versions. And since the PC can handle more than the console versions; the fact that it's limited to console features makes the console the standard and the PC playing second fiddle.

11. suryad

Veteran

Ars is running an article on this topic as well. And after reading the article I have made up my mind to not buy this game.

12. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Once again, I'm readjusting my price threshold for this game: 30 euros and dropping fast. :roll:

13. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

30$!?

My threshold is 10$ for this game and dropping fast to.

14. PhilB

Regular

I'd say ten is fair considering what I got out of the original - short game, mediocre graphics, and good albeit dumb fun

15. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

With the way the PC crowd is reacting, I wonder if anyone has told the millions of console owners what a piece of trash multiplayer game CoD4 apparently was.

16. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

The problem is , its one of the best fps games on the 360 and ps3. It just sucks on the pc compared to whatelse is out

17. thambos

Newcomer

18. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

19. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

IW have certainly lost me. "Oh, we can use a mouse? THANK YOU, OH GREAT MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE."

#99 Bludd, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2009
  20. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

You know you've reached a new level when Walmart has TV ads dedicated to your game. Xbox version of course :) it's too popular with the console crowd for PC gamers to have any leverage. C'est la vie.