[PC] Metro 2033

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Neb, Dec 16, 2009.

1. slapnutz

Regular

Yeah the performance reports of the game arent too heartening for my poor old 8800gtx. Still waiting for stupid 470/480 release.

Kinda reminds me of when I was looking foward to Cryostasis and then it came out.

2. brain_stew

Regular

Its only the very high and DX11 exclusive settings that seem to have crazy demands and those on older dual core CPUs that aren't getting quite the performance they should, but dual core CPUs have been a bottleneck in a bunch of PC games already so I don't see why that's so surprising. This is basically the best looking game money can buy.

Over at GAF I'm reading reports of users with a humble 4670 getting "console level" (30fps with drops) performance with DX9 - high settings, so you should be fine with your 8800GTX so long as you don't expect it to do things it was never expected to be capable of; like running cutting edge games with maxed out settings and resolution nearly 4 years after it launched. Stick to high/medium settings and you should be fine. Fwiw, the 360 version appears to be running with slightly better than low settings @720p/30fps and people are still hailing it as one of the very best looking games on the console, so its not as if the game looks bad with lowered settings, on the contrary I'd be pretty confident to say that it looks better than >90% of recent PC releases with just the stock DX10 high settings.

3. AlNets

AlNets ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Moderator Legend

Is that supposed to be corrugated metal on the floor or is that a texture projection for the fence (which goes beyond the fence :p) or... neither. Looks weird.

4. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Take shots of other parts, lots of stuff missing going down the settings like SSAO, godrays etc.

EDIT: Unpacker script for Quick BMS is on the way.

#285 Neb, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010
  5. Malo

Malo YakTribe Gaming
    Veteran Subscriber

Shadow moire?

6. nightshade

nightshade Interwebz Hijacker !
    Veteran

I will do but for now I don't want to keep playing at jumpy 20FPS to 40FPS, I'll wait until tomorrow [the God Damn shipment containing my new card will finally arrive tomorrow]

This game really needs custom options btw, I'd like to play on mostly settings at High-Mid settings with shadows at 1024*1024 & Object Motion Blur,Full Volumetrics & Sub Surface Scattering enabled. This would be more than enough to fool my eyes into believing this is ultra high xD

7. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Seems quite accurate estimation.

V.high
    http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/403/metro2033veryhigh.jpg

High
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8990/metro2033high.jpg

Medium
    http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7355/metro2033medium.jpg

Low
    http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1205/metro2033low.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1176/metro2033vgl3.jpg

8. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Props to them for balancing the settings categories well. :smile:

9. nightshade

Veteran

well yea they balanced it out nicely but I still want to have control over the settings & choose whatever I wish to.

anyways regardless of what the settings are the game looks amazing & better than most games even on Low settings. The only major difference that is very noticeable between V High & High is the much more precise & cripser lighting [not so much of a diff between high & below though...at first look atleast] & another is the Object MB. It really falls apart in motion when you compare High to V High.

10. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

11. Skinner

Regular

Zwijndrecht/Rotterdam, Netherlands and Phobos
    It's these kind of games I buy GPU's for. I checked the unofficial demo and saw these amounts detail and atmosphere and I immediatly ordered the game from steam. These devs is what's it all about on PC gaming these days.

The game is barely playable on Quad CF (2xHD5970) in max IQ settings, so there is probably a bit optimizing to do, but turning DOF and Tessalation off brought it to playable levels and the last one is barely noticable.

Beautifull game...

12. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

There is a demo?

I'm definitely not buying until I know how it runs on my rig.

13. PhilB

Regular

There's a patch coming today to fix the widescreen issues. Hopefully there will be future patches to customize options further.

What are your specs?

14. Skinner

Regular

Zwijndrecht/Rotterdam, Netherlands and Phobos
    No I ment the less legal demo.

Btw, the steam version needs to be edited on 2 cfg files, there appears to be one in the userdata/youraccount/43110/remote

Edit there was just an update on Steam, I don't know what has been changed?

15. doob

Regular

I'v seen that happen on other games as well, i think its graphics card driver related, question is what causes it, bug or "optimizations"?

16. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

3.2GHz E6750, GTX260, 4GB DDR2.

Ah yes. Don't really feel like installing any image mounting software right now, have had bad luck in the past.

To not release a demo of a game like this is just silly imo, unless they're afraid of scaring off customers by the 'less than desirable' performance characteristics of the game in its current state.

I really want to see the game running and judge for myself whether or not the stratospheric system requirements are justified.

17. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

4670 is a monster compared to the consoles so that's to be expected.

8800GTX should be about 33% faster maybe. I play Call of Pripyat on DX10 maximum settings at 1360x768 (TV) just fine, probably 20-60fps depending on the location.

18. nightshade

Veteran

His point was not to compare the 4670 with consoles but rather how that card can run the game at 30FPS with high settings. Looking at that an 8800GTX shouldn't have much problem at high setting.

19. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Yup, I have both a 4670 and a 8800GTX. Also have a 3870 in one comp. Maybe I'll grab Metro 2033. I'm worried about the bugs I'm hearing about here though.

Anyone play Call of Pripyat too? How do that game's max settings compare to the various settings of M2033?