PC Maker Considering 'Open' Game Console"

Seems a bit oxymoronic to me. Isn't every PC an "open game console"?

My thoughts exactly. If its upgradable and plays PC games, how is it different from a custom built PC?

Simply take a small form factor PC, fit it with relatively low power/low noise components and sell it with an Xbox 360 gamepad and wireless K/M.

I'm having a hard time seeing what they will do differently. Perhaps a custom O/S (stripped down version of Vista)??

Making an open console that could dualboot into a different OS would be awesome, me thinks.

You have a hardware package that can be targeted and optimized for by devs with a lowest common denominator... Wait, you already do that, one is the PS3 and the other is a PC.

Kidding aside; I have a vague interest in the general idea but i'm not sure the industry or future markets would go for it. There are too many unanswered questions and frankly they'd need major (major) capital to break into the market. Microsoft had the idea of using a gaming scale didn't they a while ago? Game one had a "2" sticker and needed a computer rated at least "2" to play and get a decent experiance or somesuch?

Back