PC gaming is dying...NOT!

Just thought I'd share this if you guys haven't run across it.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/01/best-pc-games-of-2015/

Apparently 418 games for PC scheduled to be released in 2015 in either final or early-access form.

I've only skimmed through some of it as the list is quite exhaustive. And I'm sure some of those titles may slip and not release in some form in 2015.

But I don't think either console can lay claim to the potential of that many games releasing on their system. I have a feeling it doesn't include many of the indie games that only get released on sites like Desura or lesser known stores. As well, it probably doesn't list all the mobile phone/tablet games that get ported to PC from Android/IOS.

But the next time someone you know tries to play the PC gaming is dying card, feel free to toss that link in their face. ;)

Regards,
SB

They have rather... optimistic viewpoint. I bet less then 2/3 of those games are released in 2015. I mean to put Torment or Cyberpunk requires real pie in the sky hallucinations :D

Too bad most of the games are low quality indie jank but I guess they have their audience (hopefully so that developers get at least some money).

Some of my favorite games at the moment are indie games. Defender's Quest, Desktop Dungeons, Defense Grid, The Legend of Grimrock and Dungeon of the Endless, for example.

The nice thing is that indie games can fill a niche that can't be filled by AAA developers due to niche games having a smaller audience thus a AAA budget could never recoup the cost of development.

Regards,
SB

If we look at PC output 2006-07 and compare with 2014 lineup it certainly looks like old tech driven pcgaming is dead

All launching in one year pc exclusive and truly pushing boundaries : crysis, ut3, stalker, quake wars , war in conflict , supreme commander , company of hearoes ,witcher, gothic 3, hellgate london , Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, The Settlers: Rise of an Empire, Command & Conquer 3: tiberium , Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms, Universe at War: Earth Assault, Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar and many more big expansions , even the sims series fared better than today.

Demanding games are still released all the time. In the last year game requirements have skyrocketed, no doubt due to the new consoles setting a new baseline.

I think maybe nostalgia is getting the better of you. I love Crysis too :yes:

Witcher 3 looks to be having steep requirements. Might just be a case of "look at us" and that later/real requirements will be lower. I'm currently enjoying Witcher 2 (steam sale ftw). :)
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_pc_system_requirements_are_here/page1

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt launches on May 19th, 2015. If you are looking to play the game on PC, here are the minimum and recommended system requirements. Check if your system will run it smoothly or if you need a not-so-last-minute-yet overhaul ;)

Minimum System Requirements:
Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

Recommended System Requirements:
Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz
AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

You can pre-order the game at GOG - we're adding in a bunch of exclusive goodies with it as well!

aww, im below the sys req :(

my CPU is spot-on but my RAM and GPU is way under it.

EDIT:
i totally forgot this game also on PS4. no need upgrade PC, still strong enough for MGSV yay.

Demanding games are still released all the time. In the last year game requirements have skyrocketed, no doubt due to the new consoles setting a new baseline.

I think maybe nostalgia is getting the better of you. I love Crysis too :yes:

Yeah played it recently and nostalgia tinted glasses are present :)

Well, I'm talking about pushing boundaries pc excluzives, not some muliplatforms ( really console ports with mustard) .

It's ironic how standards have fallen from

" LOL console ports, look at those poor grapics who need it we have Quake-> far cry-> FEAR-> crysis( and tens more) " in 2004

to

" ohhh look console port! you can even change resolution!, thats truly renaissance!" :D. to 2014

I find it funny , today year after boxes launch, the most beautiful PC games are console ports ( ohhh so underpowered! never before! what will they do! Doom incoming !) with few toggles and many upcoming with leading tech won't even launch on PC. It seems last real high end PC egzamples launched so far ago that gaming community lost sense what new hardware is truly capable off.

Newell said years ago , it's not about those new chips anymore but userbases to sell to, looks like it's true. I wonder what graphics gamez landscape would look like if consoles disappeared tomorrow:D especialy with long term trend of dedicated gpu sales shrinking ( 50% or so since 2008 per john peddie if i remeber correctly.)

Witcher 3 reqs are loser bullshit.

Minimum:
i5-2500K or Phenom II X4 940, as if those are at all comparable.

Recommended:
R9 290 or GTX770, as if those are at all comparable.
i7-3770 or FX-8350, as if those are at all comparable.

Also I sincerely doubt any human will be able to tell the difference between a 2500K and a 3770 when playing this game. Don't worry folks, your 5 year old Intel CPU is just fine.

maybe their game is more optimized for AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU?

Maybe they optimally need 4 cores but works fine on super fast 2 cores. dunno...

Just to cheer everyone up
The Saintly Five Terabytes of Gaming Goodness has blessed planet earth with its majesty.
All bless it's little cotton socks

For the minimum spec, I think they just choose the lowest (or almost lowest) Quad core CPU. Nothing to do with it being more optimized for AMD CPU.

maybe their game is more optimized for AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU?

Maybe they optimally need 4 cores but works fine on super fast 2 cores. dunno...
More likely whoever wrote the reqs doesn't know shit about PC hardware. That is often the case from what I've seen. A 2500K is a helluva lot faster than any Phenom in all games - I don't think this one will be an exception. I guess it's possible that a 4GB GTX770 can perform like an R9 290, but that is almost never the case. The R9 290 is quite a lot faster than the 770.

@Rurouni the i5 is dual core right?
Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule that allows you to know.

The "general case" is that desktop Core i5 processors are quad core without hyperthreading.
The "general case" is that laptop Core i5 processors are dual core with hyperthreading.

Desktop i5 is quad core without hyperthreading and 6MB L3 instead of 8MB like the i7.

Desktop i5 is quad core without hyperthreading and 6MB L3 instead of 8MB like the i7.
Not always ;)

Core i5-750 has 8Mb of cache and four cores.
Core i5-4570T has 4Mb of cache and two cores (but has SMT enabled)

Two simple examples, there are many more :) Intel's processor branding department are collectively a bunch of douche-canoes with their naming scheme.

Back