PC games market in irreversible decline

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by John Reynolds, Nov 1, 2005.

1. pc999

Veteran

What are the minimum fremerate, as saw somehere as low as 20-.

But I do have friends which play PC games (I only play times to times and normaly old ones) and he cant play D3,FC,HL2(? not sure), (even UT04 sometimes gets hits) with a 9550 that is DX9, more than a low end and that should play quite nice it just looking at the riquirements, but it dont even at the lowest settings (for the record the rest of the PC is on par with the gfx card).
    One of the reasons is that to really play and enjoy a stable fremerate you need not the minimum (that means that the game will launch but nothing more) you need the recomended riquirements, he got a new PC few time ago I wil ask how it runs those games but I dont think it will last longer.

I wonder what are the total configuration of that PC (software included), because if it has due to a very good maintenace (etc...) most people cant do that anyway.

2. jvd

jvd
    Banned

Well john i know where htis thread got started hehe

Anyway lets look at the games

Quake 4 50-60
    fear 50-60
    civ 4 50$
    call of udty 50$

Quake 4 took me 8 hours to beat that is 50/8 that is about 6.25$ per hour of game play. Or almost double what it would cost me to see a 2 hour movie (6.50$ at our local thearter)

Fear took me about 12 hours . that is 50/12 = 4.16$ per hour of gameplay .

Civ 4 32 hours and counting 50/32 = 1.56$ per hour of game play and decreasing

Call of duty 2 i've played 15 hours and still not done . 50/15 = 3.33$ per hour of gameplay .

Now why am i going to invest such large amounts of money into such games ?

In the console market most of the games have replability which seems to be lacking in the pc section .

I downloaded all of the above games. Loved civ 4 and picked it up the next day after downloadeing . I will be picking up call of duty 2 . Fear and quake 4 wont be getting my money however .

3. Quitch

Veteran

Meh, WTF has number of hours got to do with anything? Surely it's how much you enjoy those hours that counts? Pacman went on forever, but I'm sure as hell not going to pay for it now.

4. jvd

jvd
    Banned

It has alot to do with it .

Im on a limited budget , i need to spread it as far as possible. Am I going to drop 50$ on 8 hours of entertainment or am I going to make that 50$ equal 20 hours of entertainment ?

5. Quitch

Veteran

Um, well I'd personally spend it on whatever was more fun, taking into account hours of play in the same way you factor in everything else, like graphics, gameplay, etc. I don't see why hours of play is anything special.

6. silhouette

Regular

Same for me. I also tend to play the demos of the games as I do not want to spend a lot of time to play the whole game unless it is worth to do so (like Half-life 2). Demos just give a rough idea of how the game is. If I like, I buy, if I don't, I won't buy it.

Also, the length of the game may not be issue for everyone. In fact, I like shorter games because I do not have a lot of time to play. So, if I can see the end of game in 20 hours, that's fine (Though I really miss the days that I can spend tons of hours on Baldur's Gate and still had a lot of time to do other things).

And as a last comment, I think game rental services helps console gaming a lot. It is really unfortunate that you cannot develop such a model for PC.

7. jvd

jvd
    Banned

For me it does .

we all have diffrent views i guess. WHen i drop 50$ no matter what it is it has to be fun and had to be worth while . If the game takes 8 hours to play . I can go and see see about 7 movies for that price . Which to me will most likely be more enjoyable .

Its the same reason why i no longer go to clubs . Sure i might have fun for 4 hours but at the end of the night i've spent easily a 150$ . I rather spend that 150$ and go do other things that will give me the same enjoyment for much longer

8. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

you should make this a pole john R. so we can see, based on all the perspective who thinks pc gaming is on an irreversible decline, who thinks it's in a temporary slump, who thinks its a metmorphosis, who thinks it's all lies, who thinks it's a sign of the apocalypse, who thinks it's due to external (hardware) influences...

9. cam

cam
    Newcomer

This is true, but then it has always been true in the pc gamming world, i remember upgrading to a 486dx when doom and wing commander came out, then with rebel assault i needed a cd-rom.
    And consoles have pretty much always been there, you could say however that with the playstation (in the uk at least, with ministry of sound /wipeout tie ins) that consoles have hit a much broader/adult market than the snes or megadrive ever did, and now that these new consoles are trying to be more of a media hub, maybe they will reach even more.

10. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

By only purchasing some of your entertainment. Ingeneous plan.
    Well, apparently you've found a way to make that $50 "purchase" 28 hours of entertainment.

For your sake, I hope your taste in games is shared by people willing to pay for it.

11. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Well, not really. It was the article that really 'inspired' my initial post.

12. Doomtrooper

Veteran

The hardware requirements to play the more popular titles like Battlefield 2 or FEAR in any kind of detail is quite expensive (a video card alone would buy a console and a 16:9 monitor), 2 gig of ram, 512 meg video cards...etc etc.
    The amount of cheating alone in the more popular online games, along with Alias scripts enhancing players skill is why I rarley play FPS online anymore (and I have hundreds of hours into the UT series). Waiting for a Xbox 360 personally where at least you know the person on the other end that just kicked your ass did it legit.

#52 Doomtrooper, Nov 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2005
  13. Quitch

Veteran

People keep saying "required to run" when they don't mean it. They mean "required for shit hot graphics" which I can assure you, don't matter a whole lot. I playd Quake III at low detail, 640x480 for ages simply because my card couldn't handle more. I didn't not play it simply because I couldn't hit everything to max.

14. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

If you want a really good $$ to playtime ratio, then go with something like Gothic 2 Gold. Or a strategy game. We know this when we buy these games, particularly single-player content driven shooters, so warezing them is hardly a defensible excuse. I want to play FEAR, Quake 4, and Call of Duty 2, but like Russ and others I really don't want to pay $50-60 for these games. So I'll wait until they're on sale for $35 or so.

15. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I wouldn't take that bet, I think you're 100% accurate with that one.

16. Dave Glue

Regular

It's far too early to say the PC market is in "irreversible" decline, that's a rather silly presumption. We'll see how the Vista push helps, but what is clear is that the PC gaming market has to change in many ways; piracy is but one obstacle.

- Not simply expensive (which is also a perception issue), but complex system requirements.
    - Compatibility problems.
    - Marketing avenues. Consoles have ads in theatres/TV constantly, with tons of other cross-promotions. They're in your face wherever you go.
    - Rentals. You can rent console games, and with Blockbuster's new policy, you can basically keep a game for a month and only pay $6.
    - Local multiplayer.
    - More and more ports that don't take advantage of the underlying hardware even when it far outclasses what's available on a console.
    - The whole "Theatre" experience. 50" TV's vs. 19" monitors. HDTV is certainly not in every home now - in 3 years its penetration will be significant.

Standardized PC gamepads with the 360 controller, DX10, a "Tier" system for games instead of obscure specs, GPU's being used to deliver the GUI experience instead of basically lying dormant except for games, having PC kiosks in retailers playing the latest titles, delivering good porting tools - these are all things on the horizon MS has planned starting in 2006 or are active already. MS have flat-out stated they are responsible for letting PC gaming wither and die on the vine, and they're going to aggressively try and actually market it as a platform.

Too little too late? I'll give it by 2008. If the retail PC gaming market is still in decline then, the 'irreversible' charge will have significant more merit, but we're not there yet.

17. Dave Glue

Regular

The problem is that the widespread broadband adoption also occured during the current (soon to be last) console generation, so I'm not sure the piracy=PC gaming downturn is that obvious. Too many other factors are occuring at the same time.

Since when is it difficult to pirate PS2/Xbox games? Get a modchip installed, rent the game and copy it. Done.

18. PARANOiA

Veteran

I agree with this post 100%.

I have to admit guiltily that I am a person who downloads games quite a bit. I've only bought a couple of PC games in recent times - HL2 (Silver, so I got DOD:S and CS:S too) and recently WoW. I also was given UT2K3 as a gift.

I have played many more downloaded games PC games, however. The reason being for me is in line with what's been discussed above. This hobby costs me hundreds to thousands of dollars in hardware costs. If I can cut corners somewhere (such as free games) I usually do.

I imagine this is the motive for most people who pirate games. It's not seen as a "$x on a PC, $y on games = $z total to play games." I imagine it's "$x on a PC, free games = $x to play games." I'm also guessing that if somehow piracy was eliminated overnight, and all games neede to be bought, hardware sales would slump dramatically.

I also note that hardware manufacturers and developers work hand in hand a lot more these days, which does something to alleviate the cost of game development and dropping sales. As time goes on, I imagine the synergy between the games market (to sell expensive high-level hardware) and the hardware market (to run games requiring expensive high-level hardware) will become so intertwined that the markets will become one, and game sales will become minor. More in line with the newspaper or magazine market, where advertising pays nearly all of the costs, and the actual "sales" price of the newspaper or magazine is there to cover additional costs such as distribution and printing.

Note:
    I should note that I don't play games a whole heap. The only game I downloaded and played extensively without buying was Diablo 2, which I can't actually find in stores. In my head, this justifies downloading "the odd game" to cover costs of very expensive hardware for an "occasional" habit.

19. Crusher

Crusher Aptitudinal Constituent
    Regular

I don't even think you have to rent the game, broadband helps there too.

One thing I know is that more unstable anti-piracy "solutions" that cause retail purchased games to not operate properly (HL2 retail, F.E.A.R. DVD, etc.) is going to make the situation much worse, much faster.

I think the decline in PC game sales is almost entirely dependent on the console market. There are several factors that make me believe this. One is that consoles have pretty much caught up to PCs in terms of capabilities, so the visual benefit is not nearly as influential. Another is that the boom in console game demand has caused a large demand for cross development and ports, which I believe has reduced the quality of the PC version of many games (and in several cases, delayed the PC version for months in order to sell the console version).

There is one thing that I think is a significant contribution to the decline in PC game sales that is not related to consoles though, and that is consolidation and elimination of publishers. The pooling of investment funds into a handfull of corporationsh has all but destroyed creativity and the desire to take risks on unconventional games. Seriously guys, Lemonade Tycoon 2?

20. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

Well, we need to make sure that the hardware companies give the software companies a cut of their take.