PC Game Pass, now includes EA Play! [PCGP, XGP:PC]

God, Gamepass is such a fragile coded piece of fucking shit.

Fresh Windows 11, old game I've never played (Neoverse) and it gets fucking stuck syncing. Syncing what for fucks sake? All the suggested solutions boil down, try to randomly repair/reset/reinstall/delete shit until the fucking piece of disastrously coded bullshit unfucks itself. Fuck that. I thought I'd resub since they gave up on windowsapps directory for games, but it's still bad for my blood pressure.

Unfuck yourself Microsoft, Apple is going to eat you alive and I'm increasingly unable to give a shit.

That was maybe a bit much for a game not working. Oh well, working now. I think packetloss on the cable modem was making syncing never complete despite still getting decent download speeds, the cable modem needed a reset due to work on the network.

Still think I'll hold off on gamepass for a while, DLCs for games often make it more like trialware than anything else. As I said, I do appreciate they abandoned windowsapps.

Fresh Windows 11, old game I've never played (Neoverse) and it gets fucking stuck syncing. Syncing what for fucks sake? All the suggested solutions boil down, try to randomly repair/reset/reinstall/delete shit until the fucking piece of disastrously coded bullshit unfucks itself. Fuck that. I thought I'd resub since they gave up on windowsapps directory for games, but it's still bad for my blood pressure.

Unfuck yourself Microsoft, Apple is going to eat you alive and I'm increasingly unable to give a shit.

and its been full of weird issues since forever

anyway, the "sync" at game start is save game sync. some games have really large save files and lots of save files, making the sync stuck. need to manually go to the appdata folder and remove all save games and leave just 1.

but if its the savegame folder thats having issue, then need to remove all save games.

but if the tons of save games are already backedup to xbox cloud save, then it will keep doing long sync.

Plenty of Zenimax titles hitting PC GamePass today.

Coming to PC Game Pass today:
  • Return To Castle Wolfenstein
  • Quake 4
  • Wolf 3D
  • Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire
  • TES Adventures: Redguard -
  • unlock all Champions in Quake Champions

Free on the MS Store:
  • TES Arena/Daggerfall
  • Quake Champions

lots of fun playing Paw Patrol: Grand Prix with my nieces and nephews. Even a 3 years old nephew managed to play the game, 'cos the game takes the turns automatically and drives for them if you want to -something that more games should do-. So you just had to tell him: "Press the blue/red button.". The game is fun to play with the family.

PC GamePass expands:

PC Game Pass Preview is Available for Insiders in 40 New Countries

As a part of our mission to expand the joy and community of gaming to every player in the world, we’re excited to announce we’re bringing a preview of PC Game Pass to 40 new countries for the first time ever, comprising:
  • Albania
  • Algeria
  • Bahrain
  • Bolivia
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Bulgaria
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Ecuador
  • Egypt
  • El Salvador
  • Estonia
  • Georgia
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras
  • Iceland
  • Kuwait
  • Latvia
  • Libya
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Moldova
  • Montenegro
  • Morocco
  • Nicaragua
  • North Macedonia
  • Oman
  • Panama
  • Paraguay
  • Peru
  • Qatar
  • Romania
  • Serbia
  • Slovenia
  • Tunisia
  • Ukraine
  • Uruguay
Beginning on February 28, gamers in these new markets can sign up for PC Game Pass Preview program giving them immediate access to a library of hundreds of high-quality PC games on Windows including new Xbox Game Studios releases on day one, iconic Bethesda games, an EA Play membership, and member-only benefits in Riot Games. It only takes a few minutes to download the Xbox Insider Hub app and sign up to join the Insider Program. Once registered, players can join the preview of PC Game Pass for a special testing price for the first month.

btw ghostwire tokyo on gamepass is XPA and it is compatible with the steam version's save file

so you can copy save file from steam to the pc gamepass version, sync save to xbox cloud, then continue the PC steam on Xbox console.

you also can cheat on PC and it will be synced on xbox console too.

hopefully microsoft will never block this unintended feature. as i looove to cheat :D

Can't be any worse than EA Origins. I lost my game library on there thanks to a hacker (presumably a data hack on their end, rather than my end), and couldn't reclaim my account despite efforts.

I should repeat for fairness sake, my internet connection was screwed up and the game is really sensitive to packet-loss.

With games installing outside of windowsapps I don't really have a problem with gamepass. I don't use it, but it worked okay.

There was a period where Gamepass games wouldn't install on my PC unless I used a VPN. Which is weird, because not only was it not requiring me to change my location or anything like that, but my laptop installed games fine on the same Wifi network, as did my Xbox. And then one day, it stopped.

I think any problem I've ever had with GamePass is a problem I've never had with Steam. I'm sure there'll come a day when MS ask themselves why people continue to pay full price for games on Steam despite many of them being practically free via GP. If free isn't cheap enough it's time for some self-reflection. Maybe MS convince themselves that it's because of brand loyalty or habit, or maybe some nonsense like achievements.

The reality is that the XB/GP system is more fragile, less flexible, less featured. I just built a new system with a fresh install of Windows and didn't have to redownload a single thing from my Steam library. Heck, I didn't even have to redownload Steam -- I merely double clicked on the Steam.exe from the old orphaned Steam install folder and it repaired itself and my Steam library drives were automatically found. For GamePass the experience is the polar opposite. I have games in my Steam library that haven't needed to go through a fresh install in over a decade (spanning 3 system builds and multiple OS installs) whereas with GamePass I've had games that I've had to uninstall and redownload on a ~monthly basis in order to clear reoccurring Gaming Services errors. Things like that are likely why my XB/GP library never grows beyond 1 or 2 active game installs at any one time, while my Steam library continues to grow until I run out of disk space. That lack of permanence surely contributes to how 'sticky' their service is -- it never bothers me when my GP subscription threatens to lapse because I'm not actually losing access to many (if any) installed games.

And then there's the UI. I don't want to access and manage content on my PC via something that feels like a smartTV app. When I open my game library I don't want the main page to involve money or recurring billing settings or entitlement "perks". I don't want a reminder that I'm a limited time customer in someone else's store; I want to feel like a user accessing my software on my computer. With Steam I can configure it to launch directly to my library, kind of like how with Youtube I can bypass the frontpage vomit by directly linking to my subscription page. Those are my places that I get to curate. Every time I launch the XB app I'm greeted by a page of stuff that I don't want to look at or interact with. Sparsely placed banners of icons, most of which I don't care about, and digging any deeper than that is painfully slow. I don't care about EA games, I don't care about a list of games curated by women at MS, I don't care about randomly choosing a game, and I certainly don't need a screen-wide banner elements for anything. Why am I being asked to navigate all these horizontal scrolling lists that aren't responsive to mouse wheel scrolling or dragging? A controller stick can directly manipulate them though, so I guess that's actually their preferred input device for their PC app. Would I continue to use Steam as my store and launcher of choice if I were forced to only use it through the Big Picture mode? Nope.

Back