Patriotism cum stupidity

Natoma

Veteran
http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,58190,00.html

An eBay seller refuses to ship a product to a company that is canadian.

At the present time, we do not ship to, or accept bids from Canada, Mexico, France, Germany or any other country that does not support the United States in our efforts to rid the world of Saddam Hussein. If you are not with us, you are against us.

The canadian won the bid on eBay, and there was no reason economically for the guy to not ship the product.

I don't think the US needs patriotism like this at this time. :?

A Belgian company with whom my company deals (they sell Football i.e. Soccer books) told us they lost the business of an American company a couple of months back. This was after Belgium and France vetoed NATO's call for military aid in Turkey.

They were told flat by the American company that they would no longer buy goods from or sell to Belgian or French people after this veto decision.

We were a bit bemused by this - a small bookseller in a Belgian town has little say over NATO decisions, after all.

I hope people understand that they are private companies sellers, and its their right to sell/buy from whom they want. Personally I will not go to france/germany anytime soon. I will however go to England and Spain next time I go to Europe. People have a right to act as dum as they want, and most people take advantage of that right. :D

later,

I think it's time for Vince to bust in here and tell us all how important and constructive force patriotism is.

Humus said:
I think it's time for Vince to bust in here and tell us all how important and constructive force patriotism is.

Hey, whatever... When you have something to be proud of, the perspective changes.

And while the effects of these actions are in themselves, dumb; they're how a person approves or disaproves of an action or policy in a free-market economy. The acts, unfortuantly, may not hurt the targeted entity - but it's the underlying ideology which is primarily symbolic, which is whats meaningful.

PS. Hey Humus, aren't you a draft dodger? Why does it not surprise me that a person such as yourself who talks of lofty ideals like "all lives are equal" yet has sent another citizen to potentially die while you hide behind legalities would make that type of comment.

All in perspective, eh? I'm sure you country is just as proud of you.

I have no problem with people boycotting other countries goods if they don't believe in their policies. It applies both ways, and so long as its legal thats fine.

Granted, vandalism is a crime, so the Paris McDonalds hecklers should all go to jail as far as im concerned.

Personally, I feel the whole thing is a tad juvenile. But fine, whatever floats your boat. Patriotism isn't a bad thing, particularily in this case where no one is really hurt or anything of import is at stake.

Vince said:
And while the effects of these actions are in themselves, dumb; they're how a person approves or disaproves of an action or policy in a free-market economy. The acts, unfortuantly, may not hurt the targeted entity - but it's the underlying ideology which is primarily symbolic, which is whats meaningful.

Nice contradiction there. First it's dumb then meaningful.

Vince said:
PS. Hey Humus, aren't you a draft dodger? Why does it not surprise me that a person such as yourself who talks of lofty ideals like "all lives are equal" yet has sent another citizen to potentially die while you hide behind legalities would make that type of comment.

:D Now that's funny. Who sent swedish troops to the Gulf ?

Cheers
Gubbi

Vince said:
Humus said:

Hey, whatever... When you have something to be proud of, the perspective changes.

I've been thinking this for a while, but perhaps it is time to say it out loud: you're the kind of person that could make me ashamed to be an American.

The constant insertion of "nation"-size into your evaluation of your self worth just happens to strike me as the most offensive form of patriotism there is, and just a convenient excuse in your willingness to take any opportunity to deflate the self worth of others in your eyes. It seems you are incapable of keeping statements whose only purpose is this repulsive goal out of your commentary.

If you'd restrict yourselves to comments like this, I wouldn't have to feel the way I do above, but could maybe agree or disagree with you without a feeling disgust being nearly constant.

In case you missed it, I agree with this section of text.

Actually, I enlisted voluntarily, and his comments don't seem unsuitable to me. When you base your justifications on unrelated issues, how does it feel to find someone who doesn't fit your cookie cutter dismissal, but would still feel compelled by the same emotions for which he would and did put his life on the line for his country to spit at your feet for the way you behave?

All in perspective, eh? I'm sure you country is just as proud of you.

Maybe we should compare our military records to determine the validity of our viewpoints?

Or, just maybe we could conduct a discussion without constantly saying "my country can beat up your country" and realize that saying that does not say anything about the issue being discussed, but the mentality of the person who'd make such a statement?

Don't worry, this is not a line of discussion I can conduct for long without JR being compelled to step in, because to my perception you are walking, spitting, and defecating on the very ideals I did put my life on the line to defend.

Maybe if you "yell" loudly enough back at me, you can pretend I actually said something else.

Gubbi said:
Nice contradiction there. First it's dumb then meaningful.

Burning a flag is, in itself, a pointless activity; yet the message it sends is anything but... need more examples?

Many things in life have little tangible relevence, yet have deep symbolic value. Perhaps you've just never encountered one since it seems like an alien idea to you; or maybe you just want to argue.

:D Now that's funny. Who sent swedish troops to the Gulf ?

"Everyone is mandated to go through tests and be placed into a military position for the case one would be called in, almost no exceptions. Fortunately I was able to hit one such exception and have been liberated from having to join the military under any circumstances until 2049 (and at that time I don't think they would want me anyway ;) )" - Humus

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4545&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

It's irrelevent if he ever actually served as it's his position and the inherient hypocricy in it.

demalion;

Do you actually want me to repond or just allow you to pretend that your argument against me is valid and save Baumann's bandwith.

Actually, I enlisted voluntarily, and his comments don't seem unsuitable to me.

Actually, this is the only valid comment and as such it should be addressed. So, I can presume by that statement that you have no negative thoughts about people who knowlingly violate the law, or find said loop-holes, in instances which concern the sending of people like yourself into harms way?

Just wanted to clear that up... because to members of my family who are enlisted or myself who would if necessary - there is no excuse for this. And aslong as he can take shots at me, I can point out the hypocricy in the shots directed at me. (Which he admits to)

The original topic is an interesting one... (the contract between two private citizens and the refusal of good/services/trade due to geographical location..).

There truly are two sides to this argument or standpoint. It's unfortunate that prejudice becomes the stalwart result amongst men of nations...

The problem is- people seem to isolate opinion with geographic location, which isn't a guaranteed thing. Take for example, France. A person living in France may be for or against the action on Iraq. Although I haven't seen too many polls (a few), the overwhelming majority seem to be opposed, but there is still a fraction that appears to be in support. By blanketing an entire nation on an assumed opinion, you may be actually penalizing someone that you happen to be in agreement with. The odds may be statistically low, but there is still a chance of this.

Ignorance seems to know no bounds and it's tragically humorous. I read that some folks were banning the purchase of Grey Poupon, thinking this had some sort of tie to France... when in all actuality it's made by a company in New Jersey.

People have the right to refuse service, support or otherwise participate in things that go against their moral opinions- but the problem today seems to be little research goes into the decision. "Blanket" justice is no form of justice at all, but instead prolific prejudice... from which absolutely NO good can come.

EDIT: this is directed at Vince.

Well, it doesn't surprise me that you so effectively missed my plainly stating that your assertion that he didn't want to join the military, or your own opinion on the matter, has nothing to do with the validity of the sentiment concerning your own behavior he made.

Would it help if I simply repeated the words in question verbatim, or perhaps I could just point out that you've fulfilled his expectation exactly, and so your insistence in criticizing him for making it seems a rather circular exercise?

By the way, I know this may be too complex for you...enlisting myself doesn't mean I believe people should be drafted and then be happy about it.

Revolutionary concept? I know, it doesn't simplify things to equivalency to a sufficient degree to make you happy, so how about this:

If you believe in the draft as being something self evident that no one should disagree with, such that they disqualify his opinion on the issues, how the hell can you talk all this trash when you haven't enlisted yourself? Or did I misunderstand that bit of sophistry that went "Just wanted to clear that up... because to members of my family who are enlisted or myself who would if necessary - there is no excuse for this." ?

Hey, I did enlist (and that's not even all my "trump cards" if we want to really dedicate ourselves to your style of debate), doesn't that place my viewpoints above yours, since you say you would enlist and you continue to maintain that makes your viewpoint more valid than his? Nevermind that what he said you'd do would seem to describe exactly what you are doing.
BTW, America doesn't have the policy you quote him as describing as far as I'm aware. Wouldn't there have to be a draft for him to be draft dodging?

Oh, part of his text you didn't quote: "That doesn't mean I wouldn't fight in another war that seriously threatens something I value, like your favourite freedom argument". Atleast you linked to it, so the lack of relevance to the labels you are throwing around can be evaluated independently.

What exactly is his hypocrisy, again? That is, assuming, you actually want to argue the merits of an issue for some reason now?

Do you have plans on enlisting soon, and are just inconveniently delayed for some reason? I mean, you know there is a war going on, right?

Vince said:
demalion;

Do you actually want me to repond or just allow you to pretend that your argument against me is valid and save Baumann's bandwith.

Yes, I'd really like you to demonstrate your response to my first post.

Are you capable of responding, or would it just be a collection of name calling and sidestepping?

In the US nothing talks louder than money. When people think of what they can do to "stick it to" those not supporting the US, the first thing that comes to mind is usually a boycott. I think people are getting into this so much b/c it's their only way to show their opinion of France/Canada/Russia/Germany (although, I don't really have any problem with the way the Germans are handling it...hasn't it been the German's stance sine WWII to avoid all wars? I fully believe that they will help with humanitarian aid, and have seen nothing to indicate the contrary). I don't think it's silly...I think it's people just wanting to express hurt, anger and confusion in any way they can. I personally see no problem with it, although I think the term "Freedom Fries" is pretty stupid ;)

demalion said:
Well, it doesn't surprise me that you so effectively missed my plainly stating that your assertion that he didn't want to join the military, or your own opinion on the matter, has anything to do with the validity of the sentiment concerning your own behavior he made.

His statement "the validity of the sentiment concerning your own behavior he made" was to piss me off, be humorous, due to our previous discussions on the topic of patriotism. I normally wouldn't care (eg. Pascal) because it was funny to an extent, but comming out of his mouth, I had to state somethign due to his beliefs.

He is of the belief that the very existence of a nation-state and/or the belief in it (eg. Patriotism) is inheriently wrong and leads to a general state of greater entropy in the geo-political landscape. This is, no doubt in my mind, due to the events of the 20th century and how they've altered the European landscape which he views on a daily basis. What I object to, is that his view of this are inheriently wrong as he's seen Patriotism used as a rallying cry used to increase the indiginous populations setiment against a foreign entity that would be conquered for purely chauvinistic means.

I happen to think thats inheriently wrong as I've seen patriotism used is a diffrent light. So, for him to make a comment like that which he stated, coming from a person who's basically broken the law to do something which is morally and ethically wrong; ticks me off. I'll explain this in detail a bit later - just hang on.

Would it help if I simply repeated the words in question verbatim, or perhaps I could just point out that you've fulfilled his expectation exactly, and so your insistence in criticizing him for making it seems a rather circular exercise?

This argument wasn't cyclical untill you spoke as I would have let it drop. Beyond that, I didn't fullfill any expectation, all I did is point out that coming from him - that comment is like the devil saying Jesus only lectures in here on good virtues. (Insert whatever other parrallel you like here where one entity breaks the status quo held and stated by the other)

By the way, I know this may be too complex for you...enlisting myself doesn't mean I believe people should be drafted and then be happy about it.

Well, while that is definatly beyond my scope of understanding, I can't seem to see how you answered my question or are even understanding why and what I said.

Nobody, myself included, questioned if you think people should be drafted and then you derive pleasure from that. Instead, I asked if you thought it was allowable that he basically broke the law (or if not due to a grey area, is morally and ethically wrong) and would allow a fellow citizen to take his place in the event that hostility ensued. In this case, he's potentially sent a fellow, law-abiding, citizen to die when it should have been him.

If you believe in the draft as being something self evident that no one should disagree with, such that they disqualify his opinion on the issues, how the hell can you talk all this trash when you haven't enlisted yourself?

While it's now appearent to me from the above comment that your mental capacity to ingest and manipulate information is vastly superior to my own, I must state that you are totally missing the fundimental argument and instead appear to be lashing out based on your want to argue. Which, hey, I'll do if you want.

But, now, back to his statement and why I said what I did:

From your earlier post, I applaud you for the reductionist method of argument (obviously to allow my comprehension), so we shall continue upon that course:

Draft - "The process or method of selecting one or more individuals from a group, as for a service or duty"

Duty - "An act or a course of action that is required of one by position, social custom, law, or religion"

Law - "The body of rules and principles governing the affairs of a community and enforced by a political authority" Antonym: Crime

Crime - "An act committed or omitted in violation of a law forbidding or commanding it and for which punishment is imposed upon conviction"

So, in reductionist terms, we have a guy whose taken the draft - which is a duty - commanded by law - and not followed it - thus, resulting in a crime. Which if not legally, is morally wrong.

Yet, this man has made statement with slanderous intentions towards another concerning Patriotism.

Patriotism - "Love of country; devotion to the welfare of one's country; the virtues and actions of a patriot; the passion which inspires one to serve one's country"

Serve - "To meet the requirements of; suffice for"

Requirement - "Something obligatory; a prerequisite"

Obligatoy - "Morally or legally constraining; binding"

Which brings us back to Crime

Thus, in the most simplistic method I can think of (which appearetly is all I can think of) I've shown of a man (eg. Humus) is, in terms you'll understand, "Bitchin' at me for supporting things (eg. law) which he, himself, doesn't at the cost of his society." Get it now?

Or did I misunderstand that bit of sophistry that went "Just wanted to clear that up... because to members of my family who are enlisted or myself who would if necessary - there is no excuse for this." ?

Sophistry implies fallacy. It's only a fallacy if I, or common knowledge, activly state a diametrically opposed situation and then move away. I, if you would have read the previous thread, openly believe that not everyone should be enlisted in times of peace as you can greater benefit the country via other means. Only during times of peril, or according to law, to the very nation and/or constitution (eg. when there's a draft) should citizens give-up their alterior paths in life and support the country at all costs. Pretty basic stuff.

Hey, I did enlist (and that's not even all my "trump cards" if we want to really dedicate ourselves to your style of debate),

Then I suggest you bring a "trump card" to the table because right now your fighting on ignorance of the previous debates and... hehe...

BTW, America doesn't have the policy you quote him as describing as far as I'm aware. Wouldn't there have to be a draft for him to be draft dodging?

BTW: He doesn't live in the US. Where he holds his citizenship, your required by law to do as I stated before. Helps to know the argument my friend.

What exactly is his hypocrisy, again? That is, assuming, you actually want to argue the merits of an issue for some reason now?

Stated above in language I can comprehend.

Do you have plans on enlisting soon, and are just inconveniently delayed for some reason? I mean, you know there is a war going on, right?

Show me a draft and I shall put my life and accomplishments on hold. Untill then, the above argument I outlines holds.

And thanks for this regurgitation of things which pretty much anyone which common sence could factor from the arguments. But, yet, some people just want to argue I suppose.

Back