Path of Exile

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
I've been keeping my eye on this game for a bit. It looks pretty engaging. It's a Diablo clone from a small company in New Zealand called Grinding Gear Games. Apparently, according to Blues, the open beta begins this month and I registered on the website today, so I can receive notification when it officially begins:

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/138024/path-of-exile-open-beta-this-month

Check it out on their website! It's definitely worth a look.

http://www.pathofexile.com/

Is that ability-tree for real? The game-design looks impressive for self proclaimed action-adventure fans. :D

yea i looked into it a few months back, depending on what class you start as you start in a different section of the tree.

there is no difference between classes besides that afaik. game looks pretty awesome

Is that ability-tree for real? The game-design looks impressive for self proclaimed action-adventure fans. :D

Just be aware it's not a skill tree as in Diablo 2. The ability tree in Path of Exile appears to combine what would normally be in a traditional skill tree as well as "attribute" assignments.

I'm also not sure if I like the skills as socketable gems bit. And each gem requires a color coded socket. It'll make equipment juggling interesting at the very least as what do you do if you get a massive equipment upgrade but in the process you lose the only color socket available for the main skill you rely on?

Regards,
SB

Seems great, here is my first try. Sort of combines Dead Space's level-up networks with Titan Quest's ability-classes.

Just be aware it's not a skill tree as in Diablo 2. The ability tree in Path of Exile appears to combine what would normally be in a traditional skill tree as well as "attribute" assignments.

I'm also not sure if I like the skills as socketable gems bit. And each gem requires a color coded socket. It'll make equipment juggling interesting at the very least as what do you do if you get a massive equipment upgrade but in the process you lose the only color socket available for the main skill you rely on?

Regards,
SB

There are items that re-roll the color / number / connectivity of sockets. From what I remember of the beta they were somewhat plentiful and treated as currency.

Recover maluses fe.
In Titan Quest you get -30% something on everything per dificulty level. Anyway it wasn't intentional.

Finally got time to stick this on my desktop machine and give it a go.

Generally favorable impressions. Combat is smooth and responsive. Much better feel than say Titan Quest, but not quite as responsive as say Diablo 2 or 3.

Passive skill tree is interesting. There's a lot of potential there. I love that it allows for such different builds and if you screw up, you have to reroll. Awesome thumbs up there.

Socking skills and socketed skill level ups. I'm on the fence on this one. If you swap out a piece of gear that has say +20 Int and you have a skill that requires that on top of what you already have due to the level of the rune, you then lose the ability to use it. I can't say I'm particularly fond of that. I do like the leveling up mechanic however. Just not how it can suddenly become useless with a change of gear.

Camera. ARGH! I hate that it's so bloody close. You can't zoom out nearly far enough. And without the ability to rotate the camera, it makes combat bloody hideous when you have to move towards the bottom of the screen as any sort of ranged character. Moving up the screen allows at least a decent view of what's coming. Moving down? Virtually blind. Really needs to be able to zoom out at least another 50% or more.

Regards,
SB

I'm thinking about downloading that one which should take me a good while, any players here with recent experiences of that game?

I installed it and gave it a quick try. The ambiance is good, there is depth to the system but like SB pointed out I'm not sure I like the active skill system. Another thing is that after a couple hours of gameplay I'm already bothered with the round trip in town to clear my inventory and get scroll of wisdom necessary to identify stuff => you have to collect all the shit items and sale them to get enough of those. The inventory is tiny and feels fast as some items take a lot of tiles.
I'm going to give some more time without much conviction.

I really enjoy this game. Haven't played it in a while though due to other newer games but I will jump back to this sometime soon again.

Back