Patents you'd like to see enforced

Errr so this is a 2002 patent for a trivial modification to Skip lists circa 1990?

You've got to love the US patent office. What a surprise that there doesn't seem to be a European equivalent :rolleyes:

Thanks Gubbi. This one's a real eye opener.

Come on B3D folks, share some more of your knowledge of awesome intellectual property, things that will lead us into the 22nd century. :LOL:

IIRC, that particular one was filed to deliberately show the silliness of certain examining bodies.
Yeah. IIRC, when the father (and patent lawyer) of the 5 year old inventor cited this crap-tastic invention as an example of ridiculous corporate patents, that went on to be [strike]canceled[/strike] disclaimed (i.e. voluntarily flushed away...) as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't patents limit creativity? Suppose there is a simultaneous invention? Is IP really property if it's not physical? That is, the inventor still has the idea if someone else uses it? Don't they increase prices?

Personally, I think patents are a drain on society and they should be abolished. Wouldn't Microsoft have more competition if someone could make a generic Windows and sell it for less and have better features and/or performance?

Its been tried remember be

"So why aren't there any dual-boot computers for sale? The answer lies in the nature of the relationship Microsoft maintains with hardware vendors. More specifically, in the "Windows License" agreed to by hardware vendors who want to include Windows on the computers they sell. This is not the license you pretend to read and click "I Accept" to when installing Windows. This license is not available online. This is a confidential license, seen only by Microsoft and computer vendors. You and I can't read the license because Microsoft classifies it as a "trade secret." The license specifies that any machine which includes a Microsoft operating system must not also offer a non-Microsoft operating system as a boot option. In other words, a computer that offers to boot into Windows upon startup cannot also offer to boot into BeOS or Linux. The hardware vendor does not get to choose which OSes to install on the machines they sell -- Microsoft does."

Back